TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 tacoma, and just last month I brought my truck into the garage to replace front shocks. I have the 6" trailmaster lift with 2" body lift, and when I got my shocks installed, I had the "toytec" 2 inch coil spacer installed as well. It looked great, had lots of lift, but just recently we exprienced a extreme cold temps and my front-end of the truck has collapsed! My shocks are bottomed out, the coil springs are compressed?? I don't see anything broken and no leaks from the shocks. I was thinking of jacking up my truck and taking a blow tourch to the shocks (from a distance) to heat them up. Any sugestions from anyone would be greatly apricated!! The shocks are life time warrenty, but of course you have to pay the labour $$.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, if the truck was just sitting there and the front of the truck was collapsed, meaning the coilovers were bottomed out, The shocks are the least of your worries. The springs are what hold the truck up, not the shocks. The shocks just dampen the suspension travel. If you were to have the springs off of the coil over set-up you could compress the shocks fairly easily... you have something else going on there.... A picture might help. :confused:

~James

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Rancho 5000's feel like that to some people :)

Anyway, even if the shock fails, the coil still keeps the truck up. Not sure why your front end is collapsed :confused: . Pictures would help :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, it seems weird, I'm blaming the shocks. At first when I was driving the truck I thought I broke a coil spring but everything apears normal. I'll take a picture and post it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
maybe you broke that lower coil holder thingamajig? is the coil sitting on the lower control arm? that's all i can think of, unless your fat ass truck put on 4,000 pounds :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mmm.....how do I upload the picture?? Any way, I jacked up my truck and the wheel never droped at all!!!!! lol, It's like I hit a bump and the shocks ceased in the compressed position! the passenger side is not as bad tho. I have a picture of it, but i'm just tring to figure out how to put it on this post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, I think your right!! I thought alot of people went with these shocks, that's why I bought them! I was going to go with bilstien but were a little pricey, But hey, I guess you get what you pay for!!! I guess the rancho's just can't handle our canadian winter weather!!! Thaey suck. Anyone know how I can't post the pics on this thread??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know that but it seems as if I hit a bump and they ceased shut, and are preventing the coil from returning to it's normal state! There is no sign of the coil bieng broken, or anything broken to that matter. Ah who knows,??? Thx for the reply's guys!!! I'll keep the situation updated.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
If the rod were frozen in place, it could do what you say. You could just unbolt the shock but I would suggest that if you do and suspect the shock of being mechanically frozen that you compress the spring first and keep it compressed as you unbolt the shock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just came back from the car wash and, low-and-behold, my truck is back to normal. As I was spraying the shocks with hot water, My truck was lifting before my eyes. I drove around for about half an hour and so far there staying up. I'm really not impressed with the Rancho's at all!! They can't even handle -30c degree weather!!!(please excuse me, I'm canadian. Don't know imprieal).

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
It sounds like the shock body trapped the pison by shrinking around it from the cold. It's time you either moved to a warmer climate or got some better shocks. If it were me, I'd move. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
nemesis
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing