TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1997 single cab 4WD V6 tacoma. Lately I been smelling a raunchy oil smell :( . I've done searches on TTORA for "oil smell in cab..." and realized that my rubber shifter boots were ripped. So now I been smelling my transmission coming out from the boots. I've done searches online to find a parts store that sells the boots but have no luck. I can go to a dealer but thats probably gonna cost me an arm and a leg. Before I go to the dealer I was wondering if any of you know where these boots are sold. There's a few pick and pull yards in my area but don't have the time to go there. Any info will help. Thanks.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Option 1 - Sometimes the members here sell interior parts. Take a look around the For Sale section and inquire or post in the Wanted section.

Option 2 - Call up one of our forum sponsors and request pricing on an OEM replacement. www.trdparts4u.com offers some killer pricing on factory parts.

Option 3 - Fab up your own replacement with aftermarket boots such as those that Marlin Crawler offers:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transfercase/tcase_ac.htm

Option 4 - Go digging in the pick-n-pull yards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks ShowStop. Yeah I dropped by the Toyota dealer like 2 miles away and they had no clue what it was. They were trying to sell me the rubber boot on the very bottom of the shifter. The boot that acts like a small dust shield. Anyways, checked out Marlin Crawler site, and I think thats my best bet. Thanks again.

·
Registered
984 Posts
For what it's worth ...

On eBay there's a seller called ' mr gaiter ' who offers leather shifter boots for '1996 - 1999 4Runner or Tacoma' for $39.99.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transmission/8a.htm

i think this might be what you need. OEM shifter boots for transmission and transfer case.
Thanks again for all the help. It is actually the rubber shifter boot that is part of the center console that i need. Theres the leather boot than right under are the rubber ones that screw to the floor of the cab. Thats the one i need right now. The transmission boots that Crolison mentioned are the ones on the transmission itself. And thats the only ones the Dealership said was available :eek: . Damn certified parts guy tried to prove me wrong until i brought him to the parking lot and showed him. But thanks again for all your help, still trying to see my options before i go to Marlin Crawler and customize a set for myself. Gonna check out the pick-n-pull tomorrow and see if i get lucky. Thanks again all for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts