TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I installed my donahoes about 2 months ago, I have noticed a rubbing noise when reversing and turning fairly sharply to the right. I obviously realize this has nothing to do with the coilovers (probably), but I am trying to figure out what bushings or what not i should be looking at. I have had a difficult time trying to have someone back up slowly and look and see if i can tell where the noise is coming from. Whenever we do this the noise never seems to happen. The noise sounds like metal rubbing, but it isn't real high pitch or anything. I know my tire rubs the valance a little at times, so I probably am hearing that somewhat too. Also, the noise seems to occur mainly when I am backing up faster than at "idle" speed while on flat ground (so its not when going off bumps to assume its the tire hitting the valence).

I realize this is a really vague issue, but please list a few things that I can check and the best way to do it (if you can't visually tell).

Thanks!

96 standard cab tacoma
2.7L manual tranny
donahoes, 32x11.50" tires
4cyl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine does that too, for me it is the outer tread rubbing on the frame. It is when I turn to the right into a driveway, or when I back out of a parking spot and I turn sharply. I can see where the tires rubbed off the frame "paint" slightly.

Blake

Edit: I have 285/75/16 tires with 2.5 daystar lift.

·
Chicks Dig Body Damage
542 Posts
I am running 33's with 3" of lift and I can see where m tire makes contact with the frame once and a while, but it does not make any harsh noise like you are describing. Check for areas that looked fresshly rubbed. Frame, upper control arm, etc.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Adam said:
Since I installed my donahoes about 2 months ago, I have noticed a rubbing noise when reversing and turning fairly sharply to the right. I obviously realize this has nothing to do with the coilovers (probably), but I am trying to figure out what bushings or what not i should be looking at. I have had a difficult time trying to have someone back up slowly and look and see if i can tell where the noise is coming from. Whenever we do this the noise never seems to happen. The noise sounds like metal rubbing, but it isn't real high pitch or anything. I know my tire rubs the valance a little at times, so I probably am hearing that somewhat too. Also, the noise seems to occur mainly when I am backing up faster than at "idle" speed while on flat ground (so its not when going off bumps to assume its the tire hitting the valence).

I realize this is a really vague issue, but please list a few things that I can check and the best way to do it (if you can't visually tell).

Thanks!

96 standard cab tacoma
2.7L manual tranny
donahoes, 32x11.50" tires
4cyl
take a look at your axle shafts; see any marks?
other than that, frame rubbing is most likely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts