TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I own a 2007 DC. I got my Toytec kit installed Thursday and noticed that I still rub with my 265/75/16's. They're mounted on 16X8 MB Motoring Blitz wheels with 4.25 backspacing. But instead of rubbing the the mudflaps like they did pre-lift, the tires now rub at full turn on the black inner wheel well lining that hangs a couple of inches below the front fender lip. Is this typical? If I ever go to 285's I imagine it would rub like crazy! Is it OK to take out or trim the lining?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I trimmed mine, removed the mud flap also. It still rubs the body mount. Gonna mod it soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
x2

Pull the mud flaps and also trim the front inner fender back a little and the rubbing will stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Almost every new Tacoma I have seen with a lift and 33" or bigger tires on have a little bit of the front wheel well cut out. It wouldn't be my first choice but if you want that look......

·
Registered
68 Posts
Almost every new Tacoma I have seen with a lift and 33" or bigger tires on have a little bit of the front wheel well cut out. It wouldn't be my first choice but if you want that look......
If I'm not mistaken, this is a 31.6"x10.4" tire. I ran 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer STCs on my stock 03 Taco with no rub - ever, not at full compression in a locked turn. I didn't have to do any trimming/mods, it just fit. Its curious that you rub with a lift on the new Taco. I'm worthless on the new Tacos but it sounds like you will need new UCA's to restore the caster to prelift :confused:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, this is a 31.6"x10.4" tire. I ran 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer STCs on my stock 03 Taco with no rub - ever, not at full compression in a locked turn. I didn't have to do any trimming/mods, it just fit. Its curious that you rub with a lift on the new Taco. I'm worthless on the new Tacos but it sounds like you will need new UCA's to restore the caster to prelift :confused:
The susp is the same as your FJ... and ANY lift in the 0-3" range will not provide any clearance for tires, not even a mm...... it just changes the times when it rubs, but it will ALWAYS rub at the same spot.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
When you change the backspacing on your rims, you are changing how far in or out the tire sits inside the wheel well.

As you move the tire further out from the center of the truck (lower bs number) you create clearance from the suspension so that you don't rub the uca's with wider tires, but the tire is now put into contact with the fenders. I just took a box cutter out and trimmed a little bit of plastic. Its really not that hard.

Why did you change the bs with a stock tire size? It shouldn't have rubbed with a 5.?" stock bs rim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts