TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us headed back today, but most are cleaning up in Tahoe still. We ran the early group out of the springs this morning so not sure how the 2nd group held up.

Carnage report:
lots of body damage--almost everyone got nailed. Think Ted in the Tundra took honors by destroying his entire Passanger side of his bed.
Angry, Wes, and I all took door hits on the same tree. Wes is now contaminated w/ gay blue paint.
Aj removed a tail light and center pin
I snapped a D60 rear shaft in two places
Ted took a hub out and an MTR
A red SAS tundra destroyed something major in his T-case/ Transmission? near Ellis. Marlin was personally driving up to do a repair for him (service at its best).

one older toyota destroyed his TRE and did not have a replacement.

Carnage honors goes to Lars from sacramento w/ an all pro 3 link kit. The welds on all pro's axle brackets failed resulting in MASSIVE carnage.

sure there is a lot more, and they will all chime in.

as for pics... i dont own a camera.. so you will have to wait for everyone else.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hammer down is the best paint remover I've found...
Was fun, good crowd- difference between massive repair efforts in our group and a couple guys that had been winching a 4runner with a blown rear diff off the trail for two and a half days was made crystal clear this weekend.

Thanks again to Bentup for putting down the grub.

Pictures are uploading.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Just got back...

Cadillac had it's toll with me. Nice rain storm made it pretty interesting.

Snapped drivers axle shaft...ran 2wd only to break the rear ring and pinion 20 feet later:rolleyes:.

Huge thanks to all those who helped...Mark, Chris, Chris, Jeep Guy and Tyler. And all others who helped out as well. We repaired the front axle on Cadillac in a little more than hour and ran the rest in front wheel drive...Chris and Chris both towed me out when needed....other then that, good times for sure.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Just got back...

Cadillac had it's toll with me. Nice rain storm maid it pretty interesting.

Snapped drivers axle shaft...ran 2wd only to break the rear ring and pinion 20 feet later:rolleyes:.

Huge thanks to all those who helped...Mark, Chris, Chris, Jeep Guy and Tyler. And all others who helped out as well. We repaired the front axle on Cadillac in a little more than hour and ran the rest in front wheel drive...Chris and Chris both towed me out when needed....other then that, good times for sure.
Will,

GREAT to hear you got back OK! What did you end up doing? What route did you take?

~Miguel

·
Registered
808 Posts
Damn Will, sorry to hear that but glad you got out ok.

My pictures are here if anybody wants to move them around on the server:
Thanks Wes.

Will,

GREAT to hear you got back OK! What did you end up doing? What route did you take?

~Miguel
Took 80 to some back roads by Auburn. Had my wife meet me up near Cisco Grove to follow me and then pissed off some semi's on the way back going nice and slow. Got good mpg though:)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did the new driveshaft AJ fabbed up work on the All Pro taco carnage?
we cruised up cadillac as early as we could to avoid the rain. Timmy (and his new 'pink' buggy) was soaked by the time they reached the staging area.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hey all! Awesome Rubicon Run!

more than average wrenching, but good times for sure! Lot's of fun!

Chris (Hytenor) helped tighten up a bunch of stuff on the Black Allpro truck this morning, and it drove up and out just fine.... Front 'AJ Shaft' worked fine... couldn't go fast with it, but crawled with no issues.

We had some fun in the rain on Caddilac... slip sliding on tippy stuff... weeeee..

Memorable run to be sure! Glad to see folks helping folks getting through breakage and getting everyone safely off the trail! ..typically TTORA!

Thanks for all the good times, help and spotting, folks!

Personal carnage: well the armor on the truck took so many hits...and did it's job perfectly! THANKS A.J.!!!!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Shit Will! That blows ass!! Sorry to hear that but glad you made it outta there alright.
Thanks John...it was my turn:)

Hey all! Awesome Rubicon Run!

more than average wrenching, but good times for sure! Lot's of fun!

Chris (Hytenor) helped tighten up a bunch of stuff on the Black Allpro truck this morning, and it drove up and out just fine.... Front 'AJ Shaft' worked fine... couldn't go fast with it, but crawled with no issues.

We had some fun in the rain on Caddilac... slip sliding on tippy stuff... weeeee..

Memorable run to be sure! Glad to see folks helping folks getting through breakage and getting everyone safely off the trail! ..typically TTORA!

Thanks for all the good times, help and spotting, folks!

Personal carnage: well the armor on the truck took so many hits...and did it's job perfectly! THANKS A.J.!!!!
Mark...thanks again for the axle shaft and guidance. I pm'd you about addy info to get you (and myself a spare) replacement.

·
Registered
200 Posts
First off I need to say thank you to all the guys that helped get me going again. I sheared an FJ80 tie rod end right at the steering arm. After a 2 hour drilling session we were able to drill a whole through the top of the end and put a Tacoma body mount bolt and nut through it. Somehow it held all the way from just past Buck to the staging area. I thought maybe I could get to South Lake for parts but I had a scary death wobble at anything over 15 mph. Thankfully Joel stepped up and allowed me to put my rig on his trailer and he hauled it to South Lake for me. We got to the Napa 4 minutes before closing and luckily they had the right end. Once again everyone stepped up and we changed it out in the Motel 6 parking lot and did a quick alignment. It actually drives straighter now than it did before!! Thanks a ton for everyone's help in getting me home!!

Wes you hit the nail on the head about seeing the differences in groups. Watching everyone come together to get us all off the trail was awesome and the reason I'm glad to be part of TTORA.

Thanks to AJ and the crew for the awesome tri tip dinner at Rubicon Springs!

Here are some of my pics. I'll try and get the rest to Nicole to upload onto the Norcal page.

Let's get the carnage out of the way.

Wills broken shaft

The Bentup crew building Lars new driveshaft

Tri tip dinner

Wheeling the Con!

Miguel decided to drive over the hill :)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I had a great time...got home around 12:30 last night ..zzzzzzzzzzzz

Tyler took most of the pics..thanks!!

pics:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~ccorley/wheelin trips/Rubicon07/

Well, once again the ttora Con trip was eventful. The first day went smoothly with no real carnage save a few minor scratches...

...during the soupbowl challenge which was a 6-to-1 win for the bowl...o well. Did Angry even try it?? We got to watch Joel almost drop 5' off the thing, wee!

The only winning entry:

Bravo!

This years lesson was Make sure to check and tighten your bolts!!! with several rigs finding loose rear U-bolts, steering box bolts, steering arm nuts, shackle bolts, etc. The amazing thing is that none had their truck fall appart considering how loose some of them were...sigh...

The Allpro kit truck (not mine)
Uh, I'll wait until Larrs get's to talk to AP about this before passing judgement but there is an unnamed welder out there somewhere that needs to be fired.

Walker Evens COs ...can take a lickin- (shafts bent to about 100*) and keep on tickin'

Most well-equiped rig...and no, it wasn't The Dick...goes to "The Jeep Guy" (cuz the poor guy's name never got remembered :p)
Wow, my list of cool stuff to add just doubled, LOL
I awarded him with a Tacoma Recovery Vehicle sticker :D
When noone else had a particular tool, guess who had it? ;)

craziest wheeler? maybe AJ (red Jeep) running in 2WD the whole way...what can I say?

Worst gas mileage award

We get to Buck Is Lake and he's on empty??

best test of aftermarket (Bentup.com) skids:

At this point Chris had the entire weight of his rig resting on one corner (about 3sq") of his new skid and only scratched the paint...not bad ;)

Probably learned the most on a wheeling trip:
Larrs

My first impression when I saw the damage was...helicopter.
Somehow the collective brains assembled there figured out how to get him rolling again and he completed the run :D
I can assure you he'll be much better prepared on the next run.

My rig...handled everything I (and Tyler ;)) threw at it with ease. I was able to run open diffs until the wet section of Cadillac Hill...simply amazing. Thanks to AJ and Timmay on the build!!!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
awesome trip all! thanks again to everyone @ bentup for an incredible tritip dinner and all the other "dinners" the nights prior. cant wait to do it again.

Oh and TIMMAY! for the great spotting....couldnt have made it up AND down big sluice without him

·
Registered
244 Posts
man i am pissed i missed out on such a fun run!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
...during the soupbowl challenge which was a 6-to-1 win for the bowl...o well. Did Angry even try it?? We got to watch Joel almost drop 5' off the thing, wee!

The only winning entry:

Bravo!

[/IMG]
None of you guys made the soup bowl save for the one older toy? Dick should be happy to hear that. :p

1 - 20 of 184 Posts