TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was looking like a really nice weekend to spend in the Sierra, so a few of us headed out to the Rubicon to do some trail maintenance, wheel, camp, fish, and just relax.

On the way in to Wentworth Springs we drove through several mud holes. The key to getting water off the trail and preventing erosion is to find the source and divert it. Turns out the source was a little creek right next to the campground. It was running into the trail and straight down the trail for several hundred yards creating a big mud hole.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We started by digging out the original creek on the other side of the trail.

Then we made a nice rock and log "rolling dip" to keep the water going across the trail instead of down the trail.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully it will hold up for a few weeks until things dry out up there. A jeep came hauling ass up the trail, over the berm, and nothing moved at all. Yay!

We drained the trail by about six inches, the rest will have to evaporate. But by re-routing the creek several water holes farther down the trail will be able to dry out as well.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Farther down the trail past the campground there is a huge, deep mud pit that didn't seem to have an easy fix. When the water started filling up my cab we decided to give up on it for this weekend. My satellite radio receiver got soaked and died. Looks like I'll be pulling the carpet out this week as well as a full fluid change. :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We weren't prepared to run the entire trail this weekend after working all day Saturday, so we turned right and headed down the big granite bowl towards Loon Lake.

Gotta be careful in the 'S' turn. Bad things have happened here! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice job Mike, Nic and who ever else was there. :cool:
Chris, Crystal, Wes, and Molly came up with us. Put your truck back together already! The snow is almost done melting!

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I know, I'm a lazy sob...:eek:
I am going to try to have my truck back together for the Barney Riley extraction. :)

Did you guys catch any fish? Katy and I went fishing up at lake Amador on Saturday and caught some fishes.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going to try to have my truck back together for the Barney Riley extraction. :)
Sweet! The forest service will be really happy to have that thing out of there!

Later,
....Mike

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts

Uh, hello?!?!?! WTF???? a SIERRA NEVADA BOX? Come on already, you people should know NOT to even think of beer boxes on the trail anymore! You all can't get away from beer boxes can you!

Nice job everyone that went, I can't wait to see it this summer with all of you....

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Did you guys catch any fish? Katy and I went fishing up at lake Amador on Saturday and caught some fishes.
No fish. But that's why they call it 'fishing' instead of 'catching'. :D

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Uh, hello?!?!?! WTF???? a SIERRA NEVADA BOX? Come on already, you people should know NOT to even think of beer boxes on the trail anymore! You all can't get away from beer boxes can you!

Nice job everyone that went, I can't wait to see it this summer with all of you....
What else am I supposed to put all the snacks in? Sierra Nevada boxes are very durable and make for perfect snack boxes! :D

Look forward to wheeling with you in July!

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
What else am I supposed to put all the snacks in? Sierra Nevada boxes are very durable and make for perfect snack boxes!
...and we seem to have a never ending supply of them :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts