TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I've kinda run out of ideas as to why my truck is running so hot. I have a cheap pos china digital temp gauge, so who knows how accurate it really is, but here's what's happening.

If you've seen my build thread, you might have read my engine has been running hot since pretty much day 1. I have a 5mge out of a 83-85 Cressida/Supra. Now, I have a new radiator (oem replacement off ebay), I've put 3 different thermostats in, a new water pump, changed the belts, flushed the cooling system, dual electric fans on the front pushing lots of air through, hood louvers... I'm out of things to try now. I had a lower temp thermostat (165F) in for a while, and it would run good for a while between 88-91C, but then it would all of a sudden spike up to like 110-130C, so I figured it was randomly closing. So I went and bought a TOYOTA thermostat(88C/192F?), the one that is supposed to be in there, and now it runs way hotter, but more stable. The gauge is reading 103-109C, and doesn't seem to spike at all.

I've got a set of gauges coming in from autometer, and I'm putting them in a 3 gauge pod on my pillar, so once that is in I'll know for sure whether my engine is really running that hot, or it's just a shitty gauge. My stock gauge in the cluster doesn't work, so that's why I have an aftermarket one (found out the hard way when I overheated and boiled over, and my stock gauge didn't even move).

I'm thinking of putting the cheap Lordco thermostat in just to lower the average temp, but I love the quality of the Toyota one, you can see and feel the quality difference between a $2 thermostat and a $30 thermostat :p I don't know if Toyota makes lower temp thermostats, but I might look into that.

If I have the 88C thermostat from Toyota in there, should the engine be running around 88C, or is it normal for it to run warmer?

So ya, kinda rambling there, but if you guys have experience with anything like this, I'd love some ideas. I don't trust this thing wheeling yet because it runs so hot, so I'd like to get this sorted out soon. There's a Toyota mechanic in town that I've heard good things about, so I'm probably gonna just take it to him (have other electrical stuff to sort out anyway). I'm not one for taking my truck to mechanics, I do my own work, but I just don't want to keep wasting my time and money and having the problem not go away.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I didn't see if it was an auto but is you tranny cooler blocking some flow? Maybe move it somewhere else?? You live somewhere cold? If not, change the ratio of water to antifreeze. More water and it will run cooler but could overflow or freeze if it got real hot or cold. Like if you were towing. I put some of that Water Wetter stuff or something similar. It helps but only for a few degrees. How's your induction? Ya got one of those K&N cone Tube filters? If you sucking hot air from engine bay find a way to get cooler air in to the filter. Good Luck

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i've got the wetter water in there, it just allows you to run hotter without boiling. I have an apollo cold air intake by k&n, which is basically a closed air intake that uses a cone, that I have running into my fender, like a half snorkel.

I went and got a guy who specializes in crawlers and toyotas to take a look at my setup, he said my rad is not big/good enough to handle the cooling on my engine. So I'm getting a new all aluminum griffin rad, dual pass, dual core, meant to handle the cooling on racing engines, so that should solve my cooling issue. Just gonna have to do some cutting to make it fit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
how about a v6 radiator for the first gen sr5 i was having over heating problems in my 22re switched to the v6 radiator and had no problems after that granted i dont know if it will fit in front of the 5mge motor but it bolts right up to the stock mounting for the 4cyl radiator

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
won't fit, tried the one that came with the 4runner. Although, that being said it's probably not much different in size than the griffin rad I just bought. The 5mge puts out a lot of heat, so I figured I'd go overkill on the rad and not have to worry about it again. Figured if I'm going to go to the trouble of cutting to make it fit, might as well put a quality rad in there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Get a Inferred thermometer and point it at the metal on the thermostat housing and take your radiator cap off, then confirm that water is circulating at the spec on the thermostat you have in it. Be careful not to get burnt.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suggest looking on ebay for an aluminum radiator for a Supra (86.5-92)... They can be purchased for pretty cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-98-SUPRA-MARK-IV-MT-DUAL-CORE-2-ROW-ALUMINUM-RACING-RADIATOR-2X-12-RED-FANS-/170749456990?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

I used one of these on my 7MGE swap and it has no problems keeping it cool
Already ordered the girffin, but that one looks pretty good. The one I got is a dual pass crossflow, so it will cool it twice going through the rad. Really useful when you don't have much airflow going through there. A little overkill, but I'm sick of it overheating and running hot :p It should be here on wednesday, so ill put up pics when I get it installed.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/170915445447?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_721wt_1163

That's the one I got. It's a little used, but looks fine. I would have had to wait 2 weeks for a new one to even ship, and it wouldn't have those awesome mounting brackets on them, which will make it a lot easier to install. I don't need the fan, so I'll just sell that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts