TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend converted his factory hood scoop to a full functioning ram air unit. all of the components can be found at a hardward store like home depot. He ordered his intake from ebay. It was the peice together type so he could adjust the filter so it would be in front of the conversion. He also made a door that shuts the opening of the hood scoop. I can only load one pic. I am sure you guys get the point.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
looks creative!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
So does the guy claim that it runs any different than it did stock?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hor air rises of course, so without some sort of dam around it, it's still going to suck in the hottest air possible. This probably just creates some turbulence in the hot air without a significant drop in temp.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hor air rises of course, so without some sort of dam around it, it's still going to suck in the hottest air possible. This probably just creates some turbulence in the hot air without a significant drop in temp.
deckplate anyone? ahhhh

·
Registered
322 Posts
The phony hood scoop is too low and too far back from the leading edge of the hood to provide a high pressure area at speed which is needed to create a "ram air" effect. There is probably very little difference in air temp with that setup and no pressure difference because it is not connected to the scoop. Looks really ghetto to me.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
So does the guy claim that it runs any different than it did stock?
Yeah I was being nice last night:rolleyes: Try boxing it in to isolate the filter from the hot engine compartment air.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I belive that that stupid useless ricer hood ornament is in a LOW pressure area.It would have to be on the nose or at the base of the windshield like nascar to be of any use.Hopefuly that non-functional piece of krap will be eliminated for 08.GTS Bruce

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, the ammout of hating is unbelievable. It works. He gained a couple mpg on gas. We are working on a way to isolate the filter from the hot air comming from the engine. If we can design a good enough box the intake should stay pressurized at freeway speeds. I have a volant system on my 07 tacoma. No hood scoop. I am working on a ram air that bolts up behind the bumper grill area.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Wow, the ammout of hating is unbelievable. It works. He gained a couple mpg on gas. We are working on a way to isolate the filter from the hot air comming from the engine. If we can design a good enough box the intake should stay pressurized at freeway speeds. I have a volant system on my 07 tacoma. No hood scoop. I am working on a ram air that bolts up behind the bumper grill area.
2 MPG increase is very hard to believe. If that were the case, don't you think Toyota would have done the math and incorporated this into the trucks? As for the hating, yeah some people throw a lot of shit at the zoo, but then again you need to grow a little thicker skin and deal with it. There are quite a few angry children in here. Just weed through the bullshit and use the good advice to improve on your buds design. There are a lot of very helpful peeps in here and quite a few that need a lot of therapy. If you post up in this forum, you have to be willing to take a punch.:2cents:

·
Registered
322 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I just roll with the punches. I created my friend an account, so he is lurking somewhere on here. I think it was an awesome idea. When the hood is closed the vent rests against the filter so it kind of force feeds it. Does anyone have a volant system. I am struggling with a way to create a ram air. The filter box has an additional inlet. Any ideas?

·
Registered
313 Posts
There was a thread on toyotanation.com where the volant intake already has an additional piece to buy that takes the air from the front of the grille and routes it to a hole in the box. Search over there. So what I'm saying is it has already been done and available for sale, so you don't have to try and fabricate one like the other guy did.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I Have a volant system, they actually make a ram air system for our trucks, i believe it just came onto the market, the actual scoop runs between your radiator and the crossbar on the body where your hood sits, it replaces the plastic piece that hooks too your fan shroud, i haven't got mine yet but ill let you know how i like it afterwards. also i took some insulation and electrical tape and wrapped where my tube enters my box so that no hot air creeps in and it helps keep it pressurized, ill try to get some pics later

1 - 20 of 31 Posts