1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
which part, the frame?

·
Registered
54 Posts
a lot of work but the best way is to take it all apart and have the frame and the underside of bed and cab line-X'd, it'll be rust proof forever and ever

·
Registered
55 Posts
This will be the first spring that I will need to "touch up" the underside of my toyota. However, every spring I would spray the underside of my ZR2. I buy a can of Krylon flat black industrial spray paint and just spray right over any visible surface rust. It usually isn't that much since I try to do it twice a year (spring and fall). This has worked well and prevented any serious rust problems. If there was any more than surface rust I would try to remove it with a wire brush or wire wheel. I do not suggest rubberized undercoating, as it is very messy and looks like crap when it gets muddy. Throughout the winter I try to blast the salt from the underside with a pressure washer once a week. It seems like a loosing battle but it is well worth it in the long run. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Koke said:
This will be the first spring that I will need to "touch up" the underside of my toyota. However, every spring I would spray the underside of my ZR2. I buy a can of Krylon flat black industrial spray paint and just spray right over any visible surface rust. It usually isn't that much since I try to do it twice a year (spring and fall). This has worked well and prevented any serious rust problems. If there was any more than surface rust I would try to remove it with a wire brush or wire wheel. I do not suggest rubberized undercoating, as it is very messy and looks like crap when it gets muddy. Throughout the winter I try to blast the salt from the underside with a pressure washer once a week. It seems like a loosing battle but it is well worth it in the long run. Hope this helps.
Is it allright to just spray over mild surface rust w/some rustoleum and whatnot? I need to do this as well on my minor and major frame rust problems. I've even got rust in my damn rock chips on the side of my truck....i need fender flares. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
KStacoma said:
Is it allright to just spray over mild surface rust w/some rustoleum and whatnot? I need to do this as well on my minor and major frame rust problems. I've even got rust in my damn rock chips on the side of my truck....i need fender flares. :rolleyes:
Now that I live in a less salted area than the Great Lakes region, I do just that.

If I'm motivated when I'm about to spray bomb the undercarriage, I'll take a wire brush to the scaly areas. Otherwise I just spray bomb away, the rust will win in the end, it always does; but if you do this you're definitely slowing the process down considerably. Since it sounds like you've already got a good bit of rust, wire brush that mofo, and don't scimp on the paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts