TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:Hello to all,

I have an 85' axle that is on the rusty side. I am planning on using it for a solid axle swap but I want to remove the rust so I can repaint it. Does anyone have any good tips on any way to make this process a little easier and how to get into those hard to reach places to remove the rust. I have no access to a sand blaster either.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Darn, I was all ready to say blast it! I would just use a wirewheel to get the loose stuff off and treat it with some POR15 after.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
yeah, use a wirewheel.

do NOT use rust remover jelly. its a mess and isnt worth it. just use the wirewheel as best you can and call it good.

·
Mr. President
1,254 Posts
are you sure you cant just crack open the yellow pages for a sand blaster? it would take 5 minutes at a shop and wouldn't cost more than $20
For that matter, if he has an air compressor, he could just buy a $20 sand blaster from HarborFreight.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yeah or just use a wire wheel, bead blast is the best, sand is like hair and can get into anything.....i learned that the hard way, any sand in the axle at all could end in a bad result, use the wire wheel or if you know any one that bead blast, bead blasting is tiny glass beads, incase you didnt know(not being a smart ass):D, but a wire wheel will do the job it want take long to knock it down...

·
Registered
638 Posts
A wire wheel will work perfectly fine. I used one on mine only because the axle couldn't fit in the bead blaster at work. :doh:

Finished it up with a nice few coats of gloss black rustoleum and it still looks good. Well, if I washed it off it would look good any way.

Harbor Freight is the sh!t. It's like a toy store for adults :D
I'm glad someone finally agrees! Just have to be careful WHAT you buy there. Like wire wheels. :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
i used a flap disc.. took a while to do it but it came out pretty clean.. just don't put too much pressure on it or you will grind into the axle..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts