TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have suggestions for products to remove surface rust from nuts and bolts, etc.

Matt

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you can take them off the truck, toss them in a rock tumbler. Gets them looking like new. If they're just normal nuts and bolts though, just buy new ones...much easier.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got a set of used OME coilovers, and some of the mounting nuts have little spots of surface rust. I just wanted to clean them up a bit before mounting them.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
VaTaco1 said:
I just got a set of used OME coilovers, and some of the mounting nuts have little spots of surface rust. I just wanted to clean them up a bit before mounting them.

Soaking them in WD-40 will help remove some surface rust.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just put it back together, then take a small paintbrush and paint them with POR-15 or some chassis black. If you use a por-type product they won't rust again, and you can put it on right over the rust. Or just buy new ones. When I restored my FJ 40 I replaced almost all the hardware. Amazing how much of a difference it makes. Plus I didn't bag and tag stuff when I took it apart.

·
Registered
264 Posts
naval jelly

GreenTaco4x4 said:
There is this stuff at pepboys, forget the name of it but its a pink gel. You wipe it on then wait like 15 minutes and wipe it off, no elbow grease need and gets pretty much it all off.
You're talking about naval jelly...

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Rustoleum makes a good rust remover. I use it to get rust off of my rock rashed sliders and bumpers. I live near the ocean so any crappy quality metal or coating gets eaten alive by rust. I use this on just about everything from bolts on up as well.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
VaTaco1 said:
Anybody have suggestions for products to remove surface rust from nuts and bolts, etc.

Matt
http://www.boeshield.com/

this stuff works great. If you have something badly rusted just soak it in the Rust Free for a couple days and it takes it all off. For light rust just spray and wipe.

get the gallon size and small spray bottle. The T-9 is pretty cool as well.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
yeah i was going to say POR 15, another thing i did was i started replacing all my bolts with stainless ones, like in my bumper, muffler flange, etc. little more bucks but its way worth it than losing threads from rust

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help. Now...just to find some of these products you guys are talking about...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts