TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm fairly new to the forum. I have a 96 t100 4wd 3.4 as my dd. When I bought it the rust on the rear wheel wells wasn't that bad. Well in the past few months it's gotten worse and worse. It's now rusted clear through on the driver side and getting worse on my passenger side. Even the front wheel wells are starting to form rust. My question is, how do I go about fixing/repairing this. A few solutions I thought of were

1) bondo it, paint it, and let it be
2) cut out the rust, or bondo it and put on some fender flares
3) purchase a new bed (it's got alot of dents anyhow)
4) leave it alone and be happy my frame is rust free.

Thanks for any input fellas.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If the area is rusted away to were you have a hole it will need to be cut out and replaced by welding in a patch plate.

Otherwise.. Get a rust treatment kit like this one: http://www.eastwood.com/rust-treatment-kit.html They have many kits to choose from.

1. Grind off the rust the best you can with a grinder and wire wheel. Rust will hide underneath paint so look for bubbles.
2. Apply Navel Jelly or rust converter multiple times wearing gloves until the rust is dissolved. Brush/wipe the area periodically to aid in dissolving the rust.
3. Wipe the area clean using some denatured alcohol.
4. Apply etching primer if needed.
5. Apply some chassis paint. (some chassis paints do not require etching primer)

A few years ago after seeing pictures of trucks with frames rusting away I spent about a week restoring my whole frame. The majority is still rust free. Sometimes I find rust in small areas that didn't get treated by the Navel Jelly or where paint was scrapped off while offroading.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My drivers side is rusted clear through. (My pictures didnt load). All the rest is just surface rust. So to do it right I'd Probly have to cut it out and get a plate to be out on. I have a buddy that's an awsome welder with alot of tools so he could proby be a huge help also. That kit looks nice also!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts