TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About four months go, I purchased a set of steelies from Wheelers Offroad ( http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm ) Well, today I washed my truck, and when igot down to the rims, I noticed that there were small rust spots forming in random areas on all rims. Wondering if this is normal or not? Is there anyway to fix this?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I had my wheeler's steel wheels for nearly 6 years...
only rust I ever saw was on the rim beads...
but that's because I ground those up against a rock on occasion
and was lazy in touching those up.

Maybe some corrosive crap off the road got to 'dem ?
Been rolling thru salt water lately ?

the fix is to sand them down and rattle can 'da boogers

or if money is no object... 'ave 'dem bead blasted and powder coated.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I bought a set of crager soft 8's 6 years ago and had them rhino lined professionally. I'm not a big fan of rhino in truck beds but I can honestly say that its held up great on the wheels. The only rust on them is on the back side. It cost me an extra $100 to have it done but it was well worth it imho.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I bought a set of crager soft 8's 6 years ago and had them rhino lined professionally. I'm not a big fan of rhino in truck beds but I can honestly say that its held up great on the wheels. The only rust on them is on the back side. It cost me an extra $100 to have it done but it was well worth it imho.
just curious...

How does that stuff work with the wheel's lug nut seat(s) ?
or is an area left un-coated for the lug nut/(conical?) seating ?

what say you ? :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well fuck. Looks like I'm gonna have to powdercoat the damn things then. Don't know what the hell would be on the roads that would be that fucking corrosive...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well fuck. Looks like I'm gonna have to powdercoat the damn things then. Don't know what the hell would be on the roads that would be that fucking corrosive...
Salt...:doh:

Steel wheel don't last very long in New England without rusting. They are awful looking on every Jeep I see. To prevent rust on steel some people re-clear them every year, or sand and re-paint, I've seen powder coating as well. Salt kills all, you should see my aluminum aluminum pro-comps. after the winter.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
About four months go, I purchased a set of steelies from Wheelers Offroad ( http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm ) Well, today I washed my truck, and when igot down to the rims, I noticed that there were small rust spots forming in random areas on all rims. Wondering if this is normal or not? Is there anyway to fix this?
If you just got the wheels 4 months ago, I can imagine the rust you are seeing is just on the "surface."

Just sand the spots with light sand paper, then re-spray as tacodell suggested above. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Salt...:doh:

Steel wheel don't last very long in New England without rusting. They are awful looking on every Jeep I see. To prevent rust on steel some people re-clear them every year, or sand and re-paint, I've seen powder coating as well. Salt kills all, you should see my aluminum aluminum pro-comps. after the winter.
It's a good thing that Texas doesn't get nearly cold enough to warrant road salt. The re-clear isn't a bad idea though...

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Have you been doing any grinding or welding near your truck?

The sparks will embed into the paint and cause rust spots.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
It's a good thing that Texas doesn't get nearly cold enough to warrant road salt. The re-clear isn't a bad idea though...
Sand and spray bomb them, repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Maybe should have gone a bit longer but steel rusts wicked fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts