TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good God!!!! That is awesome!!! I am going to do this on my truck as soon as it warms up here. This is possibly the best cheap paint thread I have ever seen this thing should be stuck to the top of the section forever. Thanks for putting it up, it has made my day!

·
Registered
650 Posts
be sure you read through all 100 pages of thread over there. all isn't as easy as it seems. with all the guys trying it, no one has been able to duplicate his good results... if they are indeed real results from using the method he describes. kind of hard to believe.

Brian

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figure the guys trying to duplicate the process are trying to rush things and/or have little to no knowledge of painting/detailing in general which may be why they are receiving less than stellar results, but I posted it on TTORA because I figure if youve got a beater/offroad truck this is an easy cheap paint job that should work and hold up well in those environments and if not well you only spent $50 or so.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Texacoma said:
I figure the guys trying to duplicate the process are trying to rush things and/or have little to no knowledge of painting/detailing in general which may be why they are receiving less than stellar results, but I posted it on TTORA because I figure if youve got a beater/offroad truck this is an easy cheap paint job that should work and hold up well in those environments and if not well you only spent $50 or so.

Yup, this is a gold mine.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i dunno man, reading through the posts it seems pretty convincing. I'm not saying it would be easy to get right the first time, but i'm definately interested in doing it to my project Samurai..Thanks for the post Texacoma!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CYi5 said:
i dunno man, reading through the posts it seems pretty convincing. I'm not saying it would be easy to get right the first time, but i'm definately interested in doing it to my project Samurai..Thanks for the post Texacoma!
NP, I've got a new hood coming in soon, I'll test this method out on the hood and let you know how it came out. Worst case scenario I sand it back down and have it professionally painted.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My roommate is doing this on his 240 and it doesn't look good. I think you really have to know how to prep a car for paint. I don't think he does.

·
Registered
518 Posts
if you continue reading into it, the rest of the people are having the same "look" but not the same adhesion he is, let alone durability of the paint- Seems just as easy to rattle can than do all that

·
Registered
414 Posts
I also wanted to point out that this is my roommate's first time and I don't like the color that he picked.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It doesnt seem like the roller would create a good finish, but i think if you do your research and take your time then it could look really great.

I just remembered all of the sanding and coats of paint.....
again, if you do it right it will look fine for wheeling and the road.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
they prolly aren't getting all the oils off the car before painting. Or its too cold where their painting. You can buy rustoleum in reg. paint cans and I have used it before at work. 45-55` makes a huge difference in adhesion. We also use a cleaner/adhesion promotor by strict 9 called Heavy Duty Cleaner that comes in a white spray bottle. We get it at our local paint shop. You also need to sand the car enough to rough it up before you go over it with new paint.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mossyrocks said:
they prolly aren't getting all the oils off the car before painting. Or its too cold where their painting. You can buy rustoleum in reg. paint cans and I have used it before at work. 45-55` makes a huge difference in adhesion. We also use a cleaner/adhesion promotor by strict 9 called Heavy Duty Cleaner that comes in a white spray bottle. We get it at our local paint shop. You also need to sand the car enough to rough it up before you go over it with new paint.
All true, I had mentioned this to my grandparents to paint one of the tractors they just bought and when I mentioned it he led me out to one of the barns, and what do you know there were several gallons of red rustoleum paint. They use this stuff on all the tractors and use the same method the guy in the original post did. One of his tractors has been painted for several years and it looks really nice.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I followed this thread and painted my 4runner with smoke gray

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
21 Participants
FASTnSPEEDY
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing