TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never seen this before so maybe I'm the first. I was working on my RV the other day replacing a dump valve and thought about the Deck plate mod I was reading about a few days earlyer. Thought this would work better and would be easyer to open and close. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
very cool idea. any way to make it cable operated from in the cab? that would be mint.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Still a hot air intake to me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hot air

I put a thermometer inside the air cleaner housing and drove around with it open and closed. It was the same temp. I did this because I wanted to let more air in for when I put the supercharger on instead of the deck plate mod.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts

ever heard of airflow? theres nothing in front of the airbox except the headlight. sure at 1 mph it might get hotter but at speed???

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
mine makes the engine go vrooooom. you could finetune the sounds w that valve, if u were gay.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
I put a thermometer inside the air cleaner housing and drove around with it open and closed. It was the same temp. I did this because I wanted to let more air in for when I put the supercharger on instead of the deck plate mod.
According to my Scangauge, which picks up directly off the MAF, the deckplate mod increases the temps on the freeway by about 10 degrees, 20-30 degrees on the city streets, and when I was towing a load, I was seeing a 50* temp increase...

I also get better gas mileage with it plugged...

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
ever heard of airflow? theres nothing in front of the airbox except the headlight. sure at 1 mph it might get hotter but at speed???
I thought so too till I installed the ScanGauge. Deckplate is plugged more now till the Outlaw intake gets installed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Urd

I thought so too till I installed the ScanGauge. Deckplate is plugged more now till the Outlaw intake gets installed.
I was ordering the 7 injector kit and AFR calibrator for when I install my suppercharger and was asking [email protected] what else I should do. He said to do the deckplate mod and a muffler. And I just came up with this instead.

·
Registered
925 Posts
i have a scan gauge and a deckplate and get different results. anything about 30-40 mphs, regardless of deckplate open/closed, the intake temp is the same as ambient temp (give or take 1-2 degrees). at slower speeds, it is much hotter than ambient temp.

btw-what kind of engine temps do you get? i consistently get 208-212 degrees. seems kinda hot.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
I can't get mine above 200. When I was towing it was 197 constantly.

Just the "getting the worse gas mileage" part seems to throw everything off. Usually with higher hp, you get better gas mileage. And the SG is always within about .02 of a mpg correct.

For me the deckplate is a crock of ****. I tow my wakeboarding boat during the summer, and how am I gaining any hp and torque with a 50 degree intake temp rise???

Even if it does provide a little bit of horsepower, it's not worth it to have the increased temps getting sucked into the motor, nor having the 1mpg worse.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
damn that scanguage thing is pretty sick. do you have the scanguage II norcal? It just plugs into your diagnostic port full time?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
damn that scanguage thing is pretty sick. do you have the scanguage II norcal? It just plugs into your diagnostic port full time?
Yep, I bought the II on a group buy for 130 bucks.

Full time, but it can be moved from vehicle to vehicle.

Shows everything on the site except for MAP (manifold air pressure) and FPR (Fuel Pressure)

Corrects tire size speed, but does not affect the speedo, only the mileage and the MPH display on the SG.

·
Registered
925 Posts
damn, something is wrong with my truck then. mine always howevers around 210. when it gets to 216, it quickly comes down to 200. it's almost as if something kicks into action, e.g. fan clutch.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
nice, i was reading some posts on it here and google, may have to invest in one someday. DTE, etc. would be tight. I'm also wondering how much different the airtemp is with the snorkel vs. stock. Did you have to buy the 6' extension or did you just run it through your firewall?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
damn, something is wrong with my truck then. mine always howevers around 210. when it gets to 216, it quickly comes down to 200. it's almost as if something kicks into action, e.g. fan clutch.
How many miles? Coule be water pump. Lose any coolant?

How old is coolant? Maybe a t-stat?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
nice, i was reading some posts on it here and google, may have to invest in one someday. DTE, etc. would be tight. I'm also wondering how much different the airtemp is with the snorkel vs. stock. Did you have to buy the 6' extension or did you just run it through your firewall?
Yeah.

Me? I just bought a Outlaw Intake. Currently I am running tests between the deckplate open vs. closed. I already did 2 days of closed, 2nd day of open, intake gets isntalled tomorrow and two days of that...

·
Registered
925 Posts
the truck has 110k, but the engine is around 50k. new waterpump, does not lose any coolant or exhibit any signs of overheating. in fact, the useless stock gauge stays just below mid-level all the time. i even put in that water wetter bullshit and it made zero difference. i love how empirical data debunks all the old wives tales.

you have the stock thermostat?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts