TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching, but came up with minimal info.
I am going to start collecting parts for my 01 ex cab v6 to do a SAS.
I plan on Dana 60 front and 14bolt rear on 39.5" iroks as I broke my TRD
ring gear on just 33s and don't want to keep replacing rears and ifs parts as I plan to wheel harder in the near future. I am thinking of gearing/ locking the rear and possible disk brake setup. Anything else to add or locker suggestion?
I am thinking gears/arb, warn hubs, and 35sp outers on the front. Will that be enough strength? Any thing else to add up front? Thanks for any input.
Later, Joe.

·
Tacoma-dana 44
383 Posts
01tacoboy said:
Tried searching, but came up with minimal info.
I am going to start collecting parts for my 01 ex cab v6 to do a SAS.
I plan on Dana 60 front and 14bolt rear on 39.5" iroks as I broke my TRD
ring gear on just 33s and don't want to keep replacing rears and ifs parts as I plan to wheel harder in the near future. I am thinking of gearing/ locking the rear and possible disk brake setup. Anything else to add or locker suggestion?
I am thinking gears/arb, warn hubs, and 35sp outers on the front. Will that be enough strength? Any thing else to add up front? Thanks for any input.
Later, Joe.
The motor will shear off the mounts before a D60/14 bolt will break. I run a D44 front & D60 rear w/33's and a 4:1 crawler. I also broke the TRD rear. If you don't find a 14 bolt, a 60 rear should serve you well. If I did mine again, I'd consider a Dana 50 front. It has a lot of 60 components with a lighter housing. You shouldn't need a heavy housing in front.

ARBs are great lockers, IF, they are installed properly. You can't be sloppy or they'll grenade. For 39" tires, I think you'll want between 4.88 and 5.29 gears.

Good luck with the SAS! :saw: :welder:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am doing that same swap right now. On the rear, I would definatly go with disk brakes. The drums on that thing are extremely large and heavy. Up front, I am going to be running the same, except no $ for an ARB right now. A couple of guys I wheel with are all running 35 spline outers, spicer u joints and stock inners and have yet to break anything with 42's and V-8's. You will be fine with what you listed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
85ToyChris said:
I am doing that same swap right now. On the rear, I would definatly go with disk brakes. The drums on that thing are extremely large and heavy. Up front, I am going to be running the same, except no $ for an ARB right now. A couple of guys I wheel with are all running 35 spline outers, spicer u joints and stock inners and have yet to break anything with 42's and V-8's. You will be fine with what you listed.

Cool, that is what I wanted to hear. I did not want to have to pop for
cromo inners and u-joints$$$. I do not have the money right now either.
Just laying out the ground work planning, and searching for a deal on the
axles and building them as I aquire funds.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would definitely go with the front 60. Thats what I did and haven't looked back. I went with 35 spline outers new spicers u-joints an arb, 5:38 gears and 39.5 irocs on homemade beadlocks. If they made anything lower for a high pinion 60 I would run it. The 5:38's aren't bad, but 5:89 would be sweet. I also have an extended cab with a full exo cage, V6 5spd and weight about 5200 lbs loaded to wheel. I wouldn't mess with a 50 or 44 (already built and wheeled a 44) just go big. The weights down low where you want it anyway. I have broken a 30 spline stock rear dana 60 axle shaft. They are cheap and easy to replace (full floater), but 35 spline and a detroit are in my future. I run a spool now. I think a 14 bolt would be bomber. If you are going to buy a rear locker get something big, not a 30 spline dana 60. Good luck
Jake

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I'm running a Currie Dana 60 in the rear and a Currie Rock Jock 60 in the front both of them high pinion. They are awesome. 35 spline axles in both and 5.38 gears in both with both running ARB's. Couldn't ask for anything better for my truck. :) Go with a 60.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
im doing the same swap, i was going to go d44 but im glad i didnt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts