TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 07 4x4 access cab trd 6 spd 2 weeks ago and have a few questions. I have 440 miles on it and im only getting 13.9 mpg and im babying it. 70% around town, 30% highway. This is my first new vehicle, so is it going to get better as it breaks in?
Any ideas on how to strap some dirtbikes in this thing, there arent any tie down points on the front of the bed.
Whats the deal with the loud motor(valve tick, whinning noises). Are they all this loud? The motor in my 97 taco v6 with 155k miles sounds quieter.
Why dont the RPM,s drop when i shift...really annoying. I have been driving manuals for 8 years and i still cant drive this thing smooth after 2 weeks.
I hope i didnt buy the only toyota lemon ever made

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
I can only help you out on the MPG question. I've seen multiple posts about this issue. Everybody says they get crappy gas mileage on the first tank, then it goes up to near the sticker EPA rating after the 2nd or 3rd tank. Its just part of breaking in the various parts of the truck and the ECU calibrating / adjusting for conditions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
14mpg seems awful low, don't know what to think about that? hope it gets better... Assuming you topped it off at fill-up the next fillup will tell actual mpgs.... (mine came with a full tank from the dealer, but not really full)
search for d-rings on this or other forums, many have mounted d-rings same as in rear. but foward under the bed bolts....
they do tick, there was a tsb adressing the tick,(they replaced the exhaust manifolds) more than likely your new truck has the newer version manifolds.
rpm's don't drop due to the combination of emissions and drive by wire. i'm not sure if removing the secondary air filter(which many have done) or installing aftermarket cai will increase throttle responce?

other than that, great truck..... in two weeks you've hit on almost all of what we've been talking about for the past two years.....

·
Registered
217 Posts
mine has a tick too. it bugs the piss out of me i've only got 3,500 on it. i'll take mine in when i get it back from the frame shop. you should do the same. i figure if we bug them enough they fix it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Be careful loadong dirt bikes, my tailgate bent with the weight of the bikes, and I'm not the only one. I would recommend a 2x6 or a peice of sheet metal under the wheels extending from inside the bed out over the opened tailgate to help spread the weight of the cycle over a larger surface area.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
First off, make sure it has got enough oil. On a new engine I would recommend changing the oil well before the first recommended time. It is something I have always done since it seems like all the crap from the break in period is gonna be floating around there. Sure the oil filter is gonna catch stuff, but figure on a $25000+ truck another few bucks and a 1/2 hr is not gonna kill me. :2cents: The mileage gets better but never anything that is gonna win a contest.

Yrrfej: thanks for the info on the TSB, my truck is still pretty quiet, but will keep that in mind if the tick shows up...

·
Registered
5 Posts
How heavy are your dirt bikes?

I've loaded a fully gassed up road racing bike (400 lbs) with the gate down on my 2005 taco short bed dozens of times without incident...

·
Registered
62 Posts
chump16 said:
I picked up my 07 4x4 access cab trd 6 spd 2 weeks ago and have a few questions. I have 440 miles on it and im only getting 13.9 mpg and im babying it. 70% around town, 30% highway. This is my first new vehicle, so is it going to get better as it breaks in?
Any ideas on how to strap some dirtbikes in this thing, there arent any tie down points on the front of the bed.
Whats the deal with the loud motor(valve tick, whinning noises). Are they all this loud? The motor in my 97 taco v6 with 155k miles sounds quieter.
Why dont the RPM,s drop when i shift...really annoying. I have been driving manuals for 8 years and i still cant drive this thing smooth after 2 weeks.
I hope i didnt buy the only toyota lemon ever made

Ha, man, it seems that i keep suffiring from the same bluzzz, and the milage hardly improve, but it will be close to the sticker, i would say minus 1-2 in town and minus 2-3 on freeway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not worried about the tailgate bending, because i have the 6 ft bed so my dirtbike and streetbike wont be resting on the tailgate when im driving around. It just sucks that it doesnt come with tie down hooks installed in the front of the bed. Also im sure that its going to be a PITA to put 2 bikes in there because the tie down point will be too low and toward the center of the truck.

Im going to give it to 1000 miles and if the mileage is still bad and the engine still ticks ill bring it back to the dealer and see what they say. I woulda bought a 4 door tundra for the same price if i new the gas mileage was going to be so shitty!

What tonneau covers do you have and how do you like them?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yea i also plan on changing the oil at 1500 mi and then again at 3000mi. This is the first new truck i ever bought so i want this thing to look and run as good in 10 years(or when the diesel tundra comes out) as it did the day i bought it.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Get used to the ticking.

Mine does it.

My wife's 4runner(Same motor) does it.

They all do it.

Changing the oil will make it stop... for a day or three. Then it starts ticking again.

I've gotten used to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
fast frank
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing