TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new pulley for my s/c (2.2") and am ready to change it out but need some help on how to get the old one off. I don't want to destroy the old one by mashing it in a vise or something. I have tried those "grip wrenches" that look like they are made of fan-belt material but they don't grab tight enough. Anyone got a tip or trick I can use? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Mine came off no problem...are you having problems with the whole pulley spinning when you try to loosen the nut?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I've found this to be one the most valuable tools in my toolbox:

It's called a chain wrench. Last I saw, Autozone was stocking them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the whole pulley is spinning. The chain wrench will probably be the ticket. It looks like it will operate the same as the grip wrenches I mentioned before but with more grab. Hopefully it won't damage the old pulley; maybe I will try something between them to keep it from scratching. Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
We just used a set of channel locks and a rag for mine...that way you could grab onto the pulley without dmaging it.

And I hope you're not planning on putting the 2.2" pulley on before you get the 7th injector in...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We just used a set of channel locks and a rag for mine...that way you could grab onto the pulley without dmaging it.

And I hope you're not planning on putting the 2.2" pulley on before you get the 7th injector in...
I think the chain wrench will be better because it grips all the way around vs. the channel locks but I see how they could work. The s/c is sitting on my workbench right now and the 7th injector is already on it. It will all go in at one time but I thought it would be easier to change the pulley on the bench rather than in the truck. Can't wait... and it looks like I get to go buy another tool!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Hopefully it won't damage the old pulley; maybe I will try something between them to keep it from scratching.
Yep, you can use a rag as YoTRacer recommended.

It's a great tool that you'll find uses for whenever you deal with any type of pulley in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts