TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently installed a s/c on my 01 trd 4x4. Its has been nothing but hassles so far. Ill get to the point......I am having problems with 1500 rpms to about 3800. It has a very rough acceleration then it seems to clean out. I thought my vacuum lines were wrong, so I double and triple checked them but they are alright. Then I checked the check valve and blowing into it one way it blows through and the other way it doesnt allow air...which is correct. Which way should the valve allow air to travel through, toward the t/b or the other way?...or any other ideas that I should check would be outstanding...

thanks

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have recently installed a s/c on my 01 trd 4x4. Its has been nothing but hassles so far. Ill get to the point......I am having problems with 1500 rpms to about 3800. It has a very rough acceleration then it seems to clean out. I thought my vacuum lines were wrong, so I double and triple checked them but they are alright. Then I checked the check valve and blowing into it one way it blows through and the other way it doesnt allow air...which is correct. Which way should the valve allow air to travel through, toward the t/b or the other way?...or any other ideas that I should check would be outstanding...

thanks
clean the maf and take out those crappy bosch plugs you prolly have and go read here
gadgetonline.com

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
fuel mods? If not, its probably not getting enough fuel or vise versa.
Is it spitting out black smoke when you accelerate?
Before I had my vette tuned and I installed the S/C it would accelerate hard then sputter out/hesitate between certain rpms.
Ive never had a S/C on a tacoma but ive had a couple S/C'd vehicles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so an update.....I put a proven check valve off my roomates s/c tacoma..no diff......Thank god my roomate works for toyota... He went to work and grabbed me a new mass airflow sensor.....no change.........Im about ready to drive this thing off a cliff:explode:..................will the plugs really make a diff??!!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Do you have the 7th injector kit or URD fuel mods?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I just put this thing on wed. I took it off the exact same truck as mine and that truck had this charger on it for about 36k with out any problems

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
IMO change the plugs (make sure they are NOT iridium) but its gonna be a fuel problem. The stock ecu or pcm whatever the brain to the truck is called, isnt able to produce the extra fuel needed for the massive amounts of air being forced into the engine. But like I said...this is from past experience from OTHER forced inducted vehicles.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
IMO change the plugs (make sure they and NOT iridium) but its gonna be a fuel problem. The stock ecu or pcm whatever the brain to the truck is called, isnt able to produce the extra fuel needed for the massive amounts of air being forced into the engine. But like I said...this is from past experience from OTHER forced inducted vehicles.
No past experience from other vehicles needed...it's a FACT that the stock fuel system does not provide enough fuel for a supercharged Tacoma.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well just replaced all the plugs and all my problems are fixed. One bank had denzo and one bank had ngks..what the hell is toyota doing?!?! anyways the plugs were in need of a changing anyway and now the truck runs great......im still going to look into getting the 7th injector purely for the performance end of it............Thanks again guys, if i could I would buy you all beers right now:xrocker:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
How many miles does your '01 have? Are there any adverse effects to adding a supercharger at say 140k? Gadget?

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
How many miles does your '01 have? Are there any adverse effects to adding a supercharger at say 140k? Gadget?
I installed my supercharger with right at 143K on my '97 taco, I "modified" the thermostat, added cooler plugs, got the Walbro fuel pump from URD and added an FTC box to the ECU and I have not had any major problems with my motor from the S/C.

I am trying to get the injectors and correct thermostat for the truck this summer. But to answer you question, my truck has over 186k on it now, so I for one do not see any issues with installing a supercharger with that many miles on your engine as long as you do add at least the majority of the fuel mods as well.

Actually the only thing I have had to do to my motor since installing the S/C is change out the MAF sensor. I installed the fuel pump because the truck would not start and I thought it was not getting gas. But as it turned out the MAF was fouled due to the K&N I previously ran before the S/C

1 - 16 of 16 Posts