TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size safari rack is ideal to put on a camper shell (regular cab)? I can't decide if 45 is a little too wide or if it's just perfect. For those with a Surco safari rack, or other brand of basket, what size do you have?

·
Registered
472 Posts
dunno, bump for an answer.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I have a Surco 40x60 that fits on Yakima bars. Its narrow enough to allow space to add a highlift and shovel+axe on the sides, if I ever get around to making up brackets. Otherwise I would expect the 45" to not be too wide.

My 40 is plenty wide enough for stuff inside the basket, but could do with more of a floor to the basket (another thing waiting to be done).

·
Registered
16 Posts
So...does anyone have any pics of a 40 x60 on a camper shell? I've been looking at getting one. I've gotten some info from Wilderness racks. Anyone here have any experience with that?

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
nees1212 said:
What size safari rack is ideal to put on a camper shell (regular cab)? I can't decide if 45 is a little too wide or if it's just perfect. For those with a Surco safari rack, or other brand of basket, what size do you have?

I used to run a Con Ferr rack and I think it was 42X72 :confused:

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
nees1212 said:
I've got the Surco 45x60 on my truck, it fits just about perfect, lines up with the flat area on the shell, before it curves down, and about 5" to spare front and back.

I bought Surco's generic roof rail kit and mounted it to the shell, and then the 45x60 basket, and 4-runner brackets (also fits the generic rails). Works real good, it's alum so it's lighter weight that a steel, and I've had it loaded up pretty good including a 33" tire.. in fact on the way back from take over I had 6 gallons water, 5 gallons gas, my second spare 33", AND the pair of sliders I won mounted on it.. :eek:

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
tacopia said:
Thats looks great and is exactly what I want. Where did you get Surco from? Local dealer or online? thanks...
Peformance Products, I belive in the catalog it's listed as their Safari Rack..(online via the website spec out one for a 96 4-runner, you will have to call them for the roof rails if that's the way you want to mount them) I have the advantage that they are down the street from me and I could thumb through the mfg catalog.. :D

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tankota said:
I've got the Surco 45x60 on my truck, it fits just about perfect, lines up with the flat area on the shell, before it curves down, and about 5" to spare front and back.

I bought Surco's generic roof rail kit and mounted it to the shell, and then the 45x60 basket, and 4-runner brackets (also fits the generic rails). Works real good, it's alum so it's lighter weight that a steel, and I've had it loaded up pretty good including a 33" tire.. in fact on the way back from take over I had 6 gallons water, 5 gallons gas, my second spare 33", AND the pair of sliders I won mounted on it.. :eek:
Thanks man. I've already got Thule racks on the shell as it came with them. I've been looking at the Surco Safari Rack/basket for the price. Based off the suggestions, I think I'm going to go with the 40 instead of the 45. That way I can mount the high lift and shovel on each side. I'll mount lights on the back, instead of on the cab like you, so I wouldn't be able to mount anything else there.

Also, do you have any plans for that swing-away tire carrier? I've got one of AJ's bentup bumpers that I want a local fab guy to add a swing out tire carrier to. If not, that's cool. I like the looks and was trying to give the guy some direction with it.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
nees1212 said:
Also, do you have any plans for that swing-away tire carrier? I've got one of AJ's bentup bumpers that I want a local fab guy to add a swing out tire carrier to. If not, that's cool. I like the looks and was trying to give the guy some direction with it.
Nope, no plans for it - it was the first one we built down at Demello's when I was helping out down there, so it was all trial and error while building it, had to change some things from my orginal ideas and come up with some work arounds for some problems found while building it, so it's a one off prototype. Jason has improved on it even more with the versions he builds now.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tankota said:
Nope, no plans for it - it was the first one we built down at Demello's when I was helping out down there, so it was all trial and error while building it, had to change some things from my orginal ideas and come up with some work arounds for some problems found while building it, so it's a one off prototype. Jason has improved on it even more with the versions he builds now.

That's cool. Any tips on what to be careful with? :confused:

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
nees1212 said:
That's cool. Any tips on what to be careful with? :confused:
You bet I do.. :D

Make sure what ever you use for the hinge (or if somebody builds it for you), and for the latch, is strong and secure.. better yet, use two hinges in line, and two latches. That way if one fails or cracks or a weld gives, the other can hold it on still.. Also make sure if you have a spare mount that that is reinforced and gussted to handle the weight of the tire bouncing around..

I learned that the hard way, my orginal RockStomper built bumper swing out broke on the freeway at 50 mph.. the entire gate and tire went flying off into traffic behind me.. I was lucky it missed hitting anybody other than the center divider..:eek: I'm not the only one to have a single hinge swing out fail either.

Based on that my new one that I built I did overkill, just about everything has at least 2 mounts holding it - I've got 2 hinges in line, the upright holding them has both the base bumper, and the side bar holding it, and it's gusted to hell (in fact it's solid steel, and goes through the base rear bumper and out the bottom a tad, and is welded both inside the bumper, and top and bottom, and gusseted!!)

Also, if you put enough weight on it with a tire, etc, you might want to look into getting your rear frame either boxed or plated to handle the weight. Mine's plated with 1/4" :xpimp:

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tankota said:
You bet I do.. :D

Make sure what ever you use for the hinge (or if somebody builds it for you), and for the latch, is strong and secure.. better yet, use two hinges in line, and two latches. That way if one fails or cracks or a weld gives, the other can hold it on still.. Also make sure if you have a spare mount that that is reinforced and gussted to handle the weight of the tire bouncing around..

I learned that the hard way, my orginal RockStomper built bumper swing out broke on the freeway at 50 mph.. the entire gate and tire went flying off into traffic behind me.. I was lucky it missed hitting anybody other than the center divider..:eek: I'm not the only one to have a single hinge swing out fail either.

Based on that my new one that I built I did overkill, just about everything has at least 2 mounts holding it - I've got 2 hinges in line, the upright holding them has both the base bumper, and the side bar holding it, and it's gusted to hell (in fact it's solid steel, and goes through the base rear bumper and out the bottom a tad, and is welded both inside the bumper, and top and bottom, and gusseted!!)

Also, if you put enough weight on it with a tire, etc, you might want to look into getting your rear frame either boxed or plated to handle the weight. Mine's plated with 1/4" :xpimp:
Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. There's nothing wrong with overkill, especially after the first one failed. You must have some good luck on your side, because if it happened to me, it would've hit a car (probably a cop :eek: ).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Old thread, but same issue.

I have a 2002 Double Cab and am wondering what length roof rails are used. Surco says to measure, but I don't have the rig here at the moment. I'm sure someone has mounted this stuff...

They come in 36 inch and 53 inch lengths.

Suggested Tacoma Rack is 45 x 50 (I think this is for the extra cab)
My Land Cruiser Rack that I plan to use is 50 x 60 (5 inches wider, 10 inches longer)

You gotta drill holes into the roof, but they are pretty clean aluminum rails.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
So the rails on a double cab need to be about 42 inches long... which they don't offer. I could either get away with the 36 inchers, or cut down the 53's. How many double cabs were sold for them not to offer the right length? Humm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts