·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was watching some random videos on you tube and got to these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wiUBCMdO7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgAaj3DkA-w

Now I'm wondering...

Ever since I was a little kid I was told NEVER to fill gas cans in the bed of the truck. But how safe is it to drive about with plastic cans with a plastic bed-liner?

I have always drove off-road with plastic gas cans in the bed of the truck. Once we get to a point where I need to refill my tank I place the can on the ground. I then release the pressure and fill my truck. I then wipe the can, set it on the ground for any vapors to evaporate, then put it back in my truck.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-111/

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
I don't trust the whole plastic static electricity thing myself. Sitting the plastic cans on a piece of plywood or rubber would ease my mind.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Always told to fill up a gas can on the ground. I never had a problem with plastic cans in the bed of a truck while off roading, except that rare time one got punctured. I always strap mine down.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Hawaii usually has to much humidty for a static spark. But I still fill my cans on the ground.

After you get out and before you pump you're supposed to touch some metal. This releases any static charge you have.

I never experienced this in Hawaii or Oregon. When I lived in Montana(dry) I would see the blue lightning bolt all the time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hawaii usually has to much humidty for a static spark. But I still fill my cans on the ground.

After you get out and before you pump you're supposed to touch some metal. This releases any static charge you have.

I never experienced this in Hawaii or Oregon. When I lived in Montana(dry) I would see the blue lightning bolt all the time.
I learned something.
Up in Vegas I liked dragging my feet on carpet then lightly touching someone to "shock" them.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I don't know about the gas can thing...

But I can tell you this about my truck:

When it gets a little chilly (Like, right now) and I put on Long Johns, my truck will shock the CRAP out of me when I get out of it.

It's like all good driving down the road, and I park somewhere.

It's cool when I open the door and step out.

But when I touch the painted part of the door to close it...

SNAP!

Makes me jump every time, and it's a nice solid bite that actually hurts a little.

Could it light a fire in a gas can?

Well, that arc is going to have to go directly through some fuel vapors that are correctly mixed with air.

But if it did? Hell Yes It Could.

Know your stuff, man. Short that shit out before, during, and after handling fuel. Smart thinks, Stupid burns.

I have noticed that the frame on our trucks isn't grounded, and have wondered if that's creating a capacitance somehow.

Maybe adding a ground strap from battery negative to the frame would help.

Maybe not.

Keep yer head screwed on straight, and you'll be OK.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
I don't know about the gas can thing...

But I can tell you this about my truck:

When it gets a little chilly (Like, right now) and I put on Long Johns, my truck will shock the CRAP out of me when I get out of it.

It's like all good driving down the road, and I park somewhere.

It's cool when I open the door and step out.

But when I touch the painted part of the door to close it...

SNAP!

Makes me jump every time, and it's a nice solid bite that actually hurts a little.

Could it light a fire in a gas can?

Well, that arc is going to have to go directly through some fuel vapors that are correctly mixed with air.

But if it did? Hell Yes It Could.

Know your stuff, man. Short that shit out before, during, and after handling fuel. Smart thinks, Stupid burns.

I have noticed that the frame on our trucks isn't grounded, and have wondered if that's creating a capacitance somehow.

Maybe adding a ground strap from battery negative to the frame would help.

Maybe not.

Keep yer head screwed on straight, and you'll be OK.
Lots of people here drag a ground strap from the back bumper to the ground. It is light enough to not touch the ground when the truck is moving but does when you stop. This eliminates the static thing which gets nasty in the dry bitter cold. My kids would cry from the shock when they were small, they learned not to get out of the truck first.:lmao:

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lots of people here drag a ground strap from the back bumper to the ground. It is light enough to not touch the ground when the truck is moving but does when you stop. This eliminates the static thing which gets nasty in the dry bitter cold. My kids would cry from the shock when they were small, they learned not to get out of the truck first.:lmao:
Interesting I have never heard of that.

·
Registered
422 Posts
So that's what those straps are for....

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

x2

I have a 3 gal plastic can I fill when its grass cutting season. I normal forget the strap to tight down in the bed of my truck. I have a plastic bed liner too. I just drive easy on the way home (5 miles) to keep it from moving around too much. I have been doing it that way since I started pumping gas. I fill my cans on the ground though. Not because the signs around the pump say too, but because I dont want to drip fuel on the side of my truck... :eek:

I honestly dont see anything wrong with the way you are using your gas cans... If you wanted to err of the side of caution I would ground yourself to truck before you open your gas cans.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Lots of folks here have ground straps on their vehicles because of the nasty dry cold in which static proliferates. Getting out of the vehicle without one can sometimes be shocking, enough to make a kid cry.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Here we hang a Ti leaf off the rear bumper.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Where you been Dell? Happy Thanksgiving.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
guess I haven't been motivated much as of late.
I blame the economy and it's degradation to my fixed income. :mad:

Plus I'm trying to save some money...
so that I can move away from the ever spreading LA cancer :mad:

Not sure where I'm moving to...
But starting to feel... any place is better then here. ;)

Thanks for the Holiday cheer...
Hope yours was great !?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts