TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First I removed my camper shell by sliding it on to my brothers truck.

Shells off

Then we took the bed off. 6 Bolts, and disconnect the tail lights. And up and over the gas filler neck.

My trucks nude!

Start removing shocks.

Grinding for "boxing plates" for the cross member

Chalk the truck and jacked it up to check shock location.

Got too windy to weld so we moved the truck into the garage. Here's a random picture of it out on the street.

Started getting windy out..

In the garage about to weld the "box plates" on the frame. :welder:

Here is my bottom weld.

Top Weld

Found out that the weld blocked my Cross member from going in. :saw: Time to grind some welds down.

Tried again, didn't fit had to regrind some more!

Let my brother weld it up.

Tacked the bottom shock tab

Then let our friend have a turn.

1 shocks in and flexing it out to find Bump

Everything in working order

Mind the bad welds.. they are not mine.

All done! Rides great. Just need to add larger bump stops to save the leaf springs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
your buddies foot stopping that floor jack from moving makes me nervous :eek:. It works but i wouldnt do it. Plus he looks weird spreading his legs in the background of that picture lol.

Looks good otherwise!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your buddies foot stopping that floor jack from moving makes me nervous :eek:. It works but i wouldnt do it. Plus he looks weird spreading his legs in the background of that picture lol.

Looks good otherwise!
AHAH I know what you mean. We chalked the truck as well as the jack itself, but just in case we held it there with our foot too. I think high lift jacks are just as scary. Truck feels great! Wasn't planning on going spring under just wanted to utilize all of the Deavers which I did.

7100 short bodies 10" stroke.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I'd think to cap the ends of that cross member...

seems like it would be a moisture trap

or, at the very least, some weep holes drilled on the under side.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I second the weep holes on the bottom.

Capping can still trap moisture, probably not a huge issue in cali, but....either way.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I second the weep holes on the bottom.

Capping can still trap moisture, probably not a huge issue in cali, but....either way.
Ill drill some weep holes as well as cap them. Haven't had a chance too.

Will your spare fit back in with this setup?
Spare Fits! :D

I'd think to cap the ends of that cross member...

seems like it would be a moisture trap

or, at the very least, some weep holes drilled on the under side.
Thanks TacoDell almost forgot to do them. I have some spare metal I found that I can use.

·
Registered
366 Posts
do you guys not find that cutting your tailpipes just leads to forcing the steam from your exhaust to find its way into your wheelwells and bed and eventually rusting it out?

Nice quick job on the fab though, looks like a fun project

·
Registered
394 Posts
do you guys not find that cutting your tailpipes just leads to forcing the steam from your exhaust to find its way into your wheelwells and bed and eventually rusting it out?

Nice quick job on the fab though, looks like a fun project
Never had or heard of that problem before, but my stock tailpipe is cutoff so it is pointing down.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I haven't heard of that, I do have a intermitant vibe that I can hear and feel that I think started after cutting mine. A haven't heard anyone else talk about this happening.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Never had or heard of that problem before, but my stock tailpipe is cutoff so it is pointing down.
Steam still rises, when idling. Someone definitely warned me about this when I mentioned cutting my tailpipe, but maybe he didn't know what he was talking about..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Steam still rises, when idling. Someone definitely warned me about this when I mentioned cutting my tailpipe, but maybe he didn't know what he was talking about..
You and that person are definitely right that steam will still rise, it just a question of if it will cause noticeable corrosion issues over time that is not known. I think the op has his exhaust cut back further since his shocks are now inboard of stock, and mine and alot of others are cut due to more spring arch under droop/a longer shackle than stock. If a person was replacing the exhaust I guess it would be best to run it out the side above the leafs pre-taco style.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
How is this set-up holding up for you? Im thinking about doing the same thing with 10" or 12" shocks.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Me too, me too. I'd like to do a shock relocation when I swap to my chevys.

Where's the Safety Dang TV? I'm starting to get the itchies. Do I need a new dealer?:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts