TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets stir up some conversation in this ghost town.

The more I wheel my truck the more I want to love it. This thing is a beast and I don't even have a crawler or front locker. I've been wanting a FJ80 for a long time.. I've wheeled with a few FJ80s from Socal TTORA and they are amazing.

I've been looking at this rig (or similar) which has similar miles as my Tacoma. Surprising... as its an older rig. Its as modified or more modified then my rig. It pretty much has what I want on my Tacoma. Solid axle, front locker, rear swing out and a winch. Hes still trying to find a fair asking price for the thing.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/valuation-of-my-fj80.878648/#post-9920462

Which stirs up a few questions..

Is it worth going from a 02 Tacoma to an older FJ80? A few people I know have thought about it.
How much can I get for my Tacoma as a salvaged title?

Talk me out of it guys!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dude your Tacoma has got to be worth more than that cruiser. I think you'd miss having a stick, a more nimble vehicle and a truck bed. Plus the radius arm suspension isn't really that great. And get ready for crap milage. Well worse, at least. Lol

·
Registered
967 Posts
DAAAAAAAAAANG!! If you are going to make the jump to an 80 series, you should consider the FZJ80 which will have the 4.5L, full floating rear axle, and other amenities. Yes, the 80 is a tank and I love mine but that one listed on Mud is mildly modified and would need more modifications. The 80 certainly drives way different from the Taco but personally I would not go back. Also, when things do break...shit is expensive and more difficult to find. As Kyle said...cruising on the fwy at 70mph I am lucky to get 14mpg. Good thing it's not my daily driver!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude your Tacoma has got to be worth more than that cruiser. I think you'd miss having a stick, a more nimble vehicle and a truck bed. Plus the radius arm suspension isn't really that great. And get ready for crap milage. Well worse, at least. Lol
DAAAAAAAAAANG!! If you are going to make the jump to an 80 series, you should consider the FZJ80 which will have the 4.5L, full floating rear axle, and other amenities. Yes, the 80 is a tank and I love mine but that one listed on Mud is mildly modified and would need more modifications. The 80 certainly drives way different from the Taco but personally I would not go back. Also, when things do break...shit is expensive and more difficult to find. As Kyle said...cruising on the fwy at 70mph I am lucky to get 14mpg. Good thing it's not my daily driver!
Looks like we are tied up at:

1 For - 1 Against

I was driving behind Gary in Anza Borrego and I was very impressed at how fast he was going through some of the sections. Although I could have passed him in my Tacoma I was still very impressed.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
I bought my 01 DC and have no plans on selling it.
As for you....since you have a cap... It looks like you want a SUV.
so for you, get the FJ80... But I agree with vista taco, get the FZj80.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Shit I am surprised no one is for the Tacoma! I'd love an 80, but I feel like that box is already checked by a Tacoma, so I dont have much inclination for a second. Maybe when I get the g/f pregnant my mind will change. Lol

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought my 01 DC and have no plans on selling it.
As for you....since you have a cap... It looks like you want a SUV.
so for you, get the FJ80... But I agree with vista taco, get the FZj80.

Shit I am surprised no one is for the Tacoma! I'd love an 80, but I feel like that box is already checked by a Tacoma, so I dont have much inclination for a second. Maybe when I get the g/f pregnant my mind will change. Lol
I'm still love the Tacoma and I know its limits, but I also have yet to reach those limits. I just wanted to entertain the idea and see what others thought about it.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I wheel with a few guys that have/had 80s and i just don't get the appeal. They wax on about how great they are offroad and blah blah blah but they don't tackle any obstacles that my dual cased IFS tacoma cant tackle. Watching them on the trail they don't really go that many more places than my tacoma, they are big and bulky and the parts are WAY overpriced and no option for a crawler. The inline 6 is supposed to kick ass though. My tacoma is already a raisin, i could only imagine what an 80 would look like in my hands!

Just swap in some 80 axles and have the best of both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts