TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just had my rear leaf springs replaced because of my wreck, well anyway I put sandbags in the rear up against the truck wall, closest to the cab to add extra traction during the winter months. Is it bad to do this, will my rear end get a memory and have a permanent sag due to this? There is approx 500 lbs of sand back there.......

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's a lot of sand. What is that like 8 bags? Personally I wouldn't put that much in cause I would worry about the same things you are. I go around 200-250 lbs in my 2wd Tacoma and even that makes a big difference. In my 4x4 Tacoma I don't use any sand. Probably should since I spun out on the freeway in it the other day.

·
Registered
892 Posts
M3Man02 said:
Hey guys, I just had my rear leaf springs replaced because of my wreck, well anyway I put sandbags in the rear up against the truck wall, closest to the cab to add extra traction during the winter months. Is it bad to do this, will my rear end get a memory and have a permanent sag due to this? There is approx 500 lbs of sand back there.......
I use about 220lbs every winter.

500lbs IS a bit too much.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I would cut that in half 500 lbs is a little much

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K I will go dump about half. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
464 Posts
M3Man02 said:
I live in Montana and put about 250-300 lbs in my 95.5 xcab every winter. I have the stock 3 leaf springs with a deaver 1.5 AAL in each side for a total of 4 leafs on each side(including the overload). My rear end sags a little in the winter but I never have a problem with "Memory" when I take the sand bags out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brendog84cj8 said:
I live in Montana and put about 250-300 lbs in my 95.5 xcab every winter. I have the stock 3 leaf springs with a deaver 1.5 AAL in each side for a total of 4 leafs on each side(including the overload). My rear end sags a little in the winter but I never have a problem with "Memory" when I take the sand bags out.
Thanks so much! I already dumped out my bags, I am down to 280lbs
I may go dump another to get to 210, but we will see how my traction is.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
M3Man02 said:
Also, if you put the bags near the tailgate, you don't need as much weight to have the same effect on the wheels. It's all about leverage - mechanics!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tufemup said:
Also, if you put the bags near the tailgate, you don't need as much weight to have the same effect on the wheels. It's all about leverage - mechanics!
Yeah but I put them as close to the cab to keep as much weight on my front as well for turning. I did drop out another bag though i am down to 210 now

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
M3Man02 said:
Yeah but I put them as close to the cab to keep as much weight on my front as well for turning.
Very good idea; sandbags at the back of the bed are a bad idea. Not only do they create missiles in a crash, that same leverage he mentioned unweights the front wheels over bumps. Leverage isn't always our friend...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Optimally, you want the sand centered over the rear axle.....Only problem is, then you have space in front of and behind it, which means it can and usually will slide and shift around... :p

Plus it takes up more usable space of the bed that way....

I havent gotten around to doing it, but I had a friend that took a few 2x4's (2x6's would work even better), and made a box to fit the tub sand, with the front and rear ends fit across the whole width of the bed, and braced up against the front and back of the wheel wells.....That keeps everything from sliding around, and keeps the weight centered over the axle....

I usually run 3 or 4 bags, myself....depending on whether its 60 or 70 lb bags....(210-240lbs)....

I wouldnt run 500 lbs, especially with AAL's.....I left 700-800 lbs of motor and accessories sitting in the bed of my truck for a few days after I got home from a roadtrip to pick it up, and it broke my left AAL, and even after replacing it, my left spring pack sags about 2"... :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 04 TRD Xtra and I use four bags of tube sand and I block fore with aft with wood. We have alot of crap weather right now in Chi-Town(East coast boys here it comes!!) but I think I could have gone with just three 60lb bags. The rears are down a little but it doesn't appear to be a problem at this point. I have had them in there two months already. I am going to pull back my Extang today & check things out.

Maddog

·
Registered
185 Posts
In my 89 toyota I carry about 6-700 pounds of hardened bags of cement in the bed. But I also have an old-school fisher speedcast snowplow on the front of it. With no weight in the bed the rear wheels would practically lift off the ground when the plow was up. Each spring when I remove the weight the rear pops right back up. So you shouldn't have a problem. I don't know if i'll need weight in the back of the 05 tacoma yet. Just got it last night, haven't driven it in the snow yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts