TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
tight fit putting that brace in there. I removed my radiator so I could make better welds along the frame rail and from the bottom of the brace to my hanger. I was glad I did it. It is a snap to remove and gives ya lots more room.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,208 Posts
tight fit putting that brace in there. I removed my radiator so I could make better welds along the frame rail and from the bottom of the brace to my hanger. I was glad I did it. It is a snap to remove and gives ya lots more room.
Yeah. My spring perches got in the way, so I ended up making some tabs and raising the radiator 1.25" up. To clear the fan, I just removed the lower piece.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ya that picture I had only welded the front. Yesterday I took the radiator out and welded the back side. Its still a good 3 inches away from the radiator.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nice welds. It's going to be a tall one!
Thanks, I wasn't sure how my welds were going to turn out since this is my first big project with this new miller welder.

I knew as soon as I posted the pics of the spring mounts I was going to get that comment. Those spring mounts will put it 4.5" off the frame. I couldn't go any lower and not be able to change out my spring mounts on the axle which on this 60 the one side is in cast due to the caster angle it woul dput me at. I have seen them redone but not something I wanted to do. After all I am going to run 37's so its going to need to be tall.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thanks, I wasn't sure how my welds were going to turn out since this is my first big project with this new miller welder.

I knew as soon as I posted the pics of the spring mounts I was going to get that comment. Those spring mounts will put it 4.5" off the frame. I couldn't go any lower and not be able to change out my spring mounts on the axle which on this 60 the one side is in cast due to the caster angle it woul dput me at. I have seen them redone but not something I wanted to do. After all I am going to run 37's so its going to need to be tall.

Pinion shims could correct for the springs being angled up in front.... and there are folks that are 24" frame... with '37's Bitches' tire size.... but I do like the look of that spring hanger! Nice work!

·
Registered
303 Posts
:xpopcorn: hurry up im getting impatient lol. gotta start learning the sas process, since im looking into doing it sooner or later. project looks very nice keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Those hangers look almost like the sky mfg that used. Sky's hanger kit is pretty long also. But maybe a lil less. The build looks good so for. Start cutting the ifs out and post up pics.:cool:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Those spring hangers look fantastic if you're just doing them in your garage! They weren't machined, were they?

The wheels are badass too

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Those spring hangers look fantastic if you're just doing them in your garage! They weren't machined, were they?

The wheels are badass too
Thanks, all I have is a grinder build everything with it. I did brorrow a buddies chop saw so I could get the cuts straight on the tube going through the shackle mount.

Hangers look nice... I think there's stuff in the way if you plan on using that pipe to align them to each other while putting them on the frame.
Oops definately didn't realize that, another thing I got to fix.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I am tired

So it begins. Started friday at 4 pm and took a 3 hour break at 4am and then worked until 1 am the sunday morning when I couldn't lift my arms anymore.
ifs chopped off

Oil pan installed. I haven't been so pissed off in a long time. Both my kids were crying in the house cause I was cussing so loud in the garage and were scared. If I did it over I would have dry set the pan first(like you probably always should) so I could see that the pan doesn't go straight in. The front goes up and in and then slides forward so the back can clear the bell housing. I got that fipg all over and had to wipe it off and do it over, I sure hope it doesn't leak.

Right now I am currently welding up the frame plates. This is the drivers side. The Ballastic fab plates don't go all the way back so I cut out a plate to finish it off, mostly so I didn't have to get a comment from Phil that my plating was lacking,;) .

Steering box mount is done. I sleeved the holes with some 3/4" O.D. 1/2" I.D. tube and welded it all and ground the surface flat with a big grinding wheel.

Passenger side

Finally dug out the big guy. This thing can't wait to get under the truck. Have to finish welding the plates and then put on the springs and shackle mounts. Should be able to get it on today.

21 - 40 of 220 Posts