TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering a few things about a leaf spring set up. If I want to run 37's about how much lift would I need? Typically what degree would you rotate the knuckles? How should the spring perches be mounted (i.e. location, position.) What kind of lift is needed for the rear? I know a few details but no where near everything. I would appreciate any other details that may be helpful to an SAS newbie. I want to do this right the first time.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
I was wondering a few things about a leaf spring set up. If I want to run 37's about how much lift would I need? Typically what degree would you rotate the knuckles? How should the spring perches be mounted (i.e. location, position.) What kind of lift is needed for the rear? I know a few details but no where near everything. I would appreciate any other details that may be helpful to an SAS newbie. I want to do this right the first time.
There's lots of different ways to do things. I have some info in my sig. If I knew then what I know now, I would do a coil setup in the front. I do love my leaf setup though, works well.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure I wanna go with Leafs and a Dana44. I don't want to go too radical but I'm tired of my crippling IFS.

·
Keyser Soze
546 Posts
I don't know how close you want to get, but on my site there's pictures of the build as well as action shots. Look in the "SAS" section for build photos, as well as a dedicated gallery in the "Photos" section.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the deal with the 63" Chevy springs? What rig do they come from? How much lift/flex do they give you?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
What's the deal with the 63" Chevy springs? What rig do they come from? How much lift/flex do they give you?

came from 88-98 chevy trucks, doesnt matter if its 2wd or 4wd, they are longer and flat so the flex very well. plus they are cheap, i think i paid around 75 bucks for a pair.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
Am I correct in assuming they are longer. So, you have to weld new hangers??
If your rig is '98 and up, the new hangers go 7.5" forward of the existing ones. If you have a '95.5-'97 then it's farther than that, but I don't have the exact measurement.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone put the shackles up front? I think a revolver shackle set on the front would be pretty bad-ass.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
Has anyone put the shackles up front? I think a revolver shackle set on the front would be pretty bad-ass.
Are you talking about putting shackles on both ends or just the front?

you would get some radical flex either way. But the down sides, I think outweight the benefits.

you would loose your stable road manors and when approaching an obsticle, your axle would be pushed "away" from the obsticle much more than it would want to climb over it. and that is just with one shackle in the front.

Plus I would suspect that you would get some really funky feelings similar to axle wrap everytime you get on the gas.

Plus you would actually be adding more stress on a weaker "link" I would be worried about the suspension folding down on itself in those extreme situations of hard gas and unmovable obsticles meeting.

For more flex, you can do orbit eyes between the leafs and hangers/shackles and between the shackle and frame. Or you could do a "door hinge" type shackle. Regardless, I think it is best to leave the front leafs in a "standard" configuration. You want some stiffness up front for a stable ride, unless the truck is going to be a dedicated rock crawler or trail vehicle.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What other options do I have when selecting an axle? Which waggy years fit?Would an F250 axle work? How much wider is a dana 60 than the stock rear tacoma axle? Oh yeah, anybody know of any good sources for finding an axle?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
What other options do I have when selecting an axle? Which waggy years fit?Would an F250 axle work? How much wider is a dana 60 than the stock rear tacoma axle?

a f250 axle will work, that is what i run, they are wide, probably around 8" wider, might as well replace the rear axle with something stronger while your at it. 60's can be had for 100-200 bucks or so, same with 9"ers and 14 bolts.

·
Registered
592 Posts
how much do they lift the rig, and can you keep the amount of lift down to 3" or less by using shorter shackles?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Dude, I wish we had such cheap 60's in socal. The salvage yards here want a grand or more for 60 fronts. I've seen rear 60's in the 100-200 range, so I'm following an article in one of the 4x4 mags where they build a rear 60 into a front axle. Waiting for the final writeup where they outline the costs they incurred.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts