TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you knowledgeable people out here. I live in the Midwest and I want to do a SAS on my FJ. The question is where can I get it done and how much is it going to cost?
Any ideas?
I'm willing to leave it for what ever length of time it takes to do the conversion because this is not my only ride. I'm thinking somewhere close to me like Texas maybe?
PM me if you can to the work and give me an idea of the price.

·
Registered
490 Posts
there are no kits for it so everything would have to be fabed = $$$$...leaf springs would be cheaper(but if you are going to do it pay the money and link it).
I think All-Pro was working on a kit for the FJ (when they built the UA FJ)...I not sure but I think they used their Taco SAS kit with some mods to it.I have had bad experience with them but they are the only ones I know of that were working on a kit...give them a call and find out if it is still happening

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I prefer someone other than All-Pro to do the work. California is to far away for me to drive. My experience with them has been less than satisfactory. If anyone is willing to take on the project PM me. I do have a few places I can consult that I haven't tried yet. I'm just sending out some feelers.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have a question for you knowledgeable people out here. I live in the Midwest and I want to do a SAS on my FJ. The question is where can I get it done and how much is it going to cost?
Any ideas?
I'm willing to leave it for what ever length of time it takes to do the conversion because this is not my only ride. I'm thinking somewhere close to me like Texas maybe?
AJ at Bentup is doing a SAS on the yellow FJ that was totalled last year on the rubicon.

Just last week he stripped the whole suspention, and has a newer FJ80 rear axle with e-locker (also full floater) and sensor attachements almost in position; and ready for mounting. The rear end on the FJ is very short, it does not allow for long springs (chevy 60's) or even stock tacoma springs to fit, cause the frame ends so abruptly. Coilovers could be done (maybe, with TONS of fab work) but your whole interior would then be removed and lotsa custom fabrication will be required. Let alone the whole "how do your trim it out" part of the interior. Not exactly sure what he has in the plans, I will find out this weekend when I stop by the shop.

From what AJ told me, the FJ80 stuff SHOULD work with the ATRAC, the sensor connectors are the same, the computers read the same info as far as shift points and wheel spin data. Of course this is all THEORY, and nobody has tried it yet. He hopes to swap in dual FJ80 axles with sensors, and have a working ATRAC system working.

IMO, you should wait this whole SAS thing out with the FJ's. Or drive your shit to California and have bentup do some work for ya. If it were me, I would wait and let a few guinea pigs come outta the woodwork and see what they have done. Then copy thier design with a local fabricator.:2cents:

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
let me have 20 $Gs and 20 months...ill sas it for you.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Any ideas?
How much is it going to cost????????
The question you should ask yourself is how much do you want to spend?

Do some research in the SAS section and you will find many answers to your questions.

Most guys here do their own SAS's. I can't speak for everyone, but I did a 3-link with coilovers , hydro assist steering, air bumps, and all the upgrades. I did 95% of the work myself and have less than $4k not including all the parts I sold after the swap.If you were to pay a shop, I'm guessing you will probably be looking easily at about $2k in labor

THere are plenty of capable shops in Texas that can take on this project. Up north there is PSC and Roktek. Down south there is Psychotic Offroad and Creative Engineering. I know the owners of the shops in the south, and they both do excellent work at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the input on the sas. I've recieved a lot of suggestions about where to get it done and I'm surprised at the quick responces I've gotten so far. Thanks everyone for your info.

·
Registered
429 Posts
IMO, you should wait this whole SAS thing out with the FJ's......If it were me, I would wait and let a few guinea pigs come outta the woodwork and see what they have done. Then copy their design with a local fabricator.:2cents:
I agree. Like Swank mentioned if your really serious about having it done now check with some of the shops in Texas mentioned.

One of the guys in Tall Corn Cruiser's talked about SAS'ing his FJ Cruiser. He owns a local tire shop and told me that he didn't think the fabricating would be an issue for his mechanics. I kind of chuckled to myself. I'd love to see him do it but I doubt he does it.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
AJ at Bentup is doing a SAS on the yellow FJ that was totalled last year on the rubicon.

Just last week he stripped the whole suspention, and has a newer FJ80 rear axle with e-locker (also full floater) and sensor attachements almost in position; and ready for mounting. The rear end on the FJ is very short, it does not allow for long springs (chevy 60's) or even stock tacoma springs to fit, cause the frame ends so abruptly. Coilovers could be done (maybe, with TONS of fab work) but your whole interior would then be removed and lotsa custom fabrication will be required. Let alone the whole "how do your trim it out" part of the interior. Not exactly sure what he has in the plans, I will find out this weekend when I stop by the shop.

From what AJ told me, the FJ80 stuff SHOULD work with the ATRAC, the sensor connectors are the same, the computers read the same info as far as shift points and wheel spin data. Of course this is all THEORY, and nobody has tried it yet. He hopes to swap in dual FJ80 axles with sensors, and have a working ATRAC system working.

IMO, you should wait this whole SAS thing out with the FJ's. Or drive your shit to California and have bentup do some work for ya. If it were me, I would wait and let a few guinea pigs come outta the woodwork and see what they have done. Then copy thier design with a local fabricator.:2cents:
Andy- Dunno if AJ knows this or not but Slee just developed some arms for the FJ80 axle that allow for high steer. It requires a bung welded in the ABS hole so this may not be a solution for the FJC since he want the sensors but an option none the less. Also OTT will make arms and mod you 80 knuckles for high steer but you are looking at a 800-1k.

I'm also running a FF FZJ80 Rear as well as a hybrid mini/80 front and have some extra sensors if he needs them as my rig doesn't need them.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Look on PBB for more info

·
Registered
758 Posts
Also OTT will make arms and mod you 80 knuckles for high steer but you are looking at a 800-1k.
I talked with Ben at OTT a few weeks ago and he is no longer making the 80 steering arms. You are correct on the arm covering the holes in the top of the knuckles where the sensors get installed. The other issues is the technology used in the FJ80 .vs the FJC's. The technology (i.e. sensors and signals) are completely different between the two. However, it might be possible to convert the FJ80 speed signal into something that the FJC's skid control ecu can use. It won't be cheap, but might be possible.

I've talked to a few companies that Wyatt from Demello recommended. Brea Auto Electric in SoCal and WFO Concepts in Auburn, CA. Both of them have created speed sensors that get installed on the output shaft of the tcase. They convert the signal from their speed sensors into something that the skid control ecu can use.

The MT and AT FJC's electronics are also a little different, so making things work will depend upon which tranny you have. After countless hours with the wiring diagram and playing with speed sensors there are ways to make them work. Now making everything work as is does pre-sas will take LOTS of money and may not be possible w/o custom building an axle housing that incorporates the speed sensors into it. IMO, a waste of money. Make the speedo work and call it done.

·
Registered
306 Posts
IMO, a waste of money. Make the speedo work and call it done.
x2

Who cares about A-TRAC when you throw a solid axle under there! Throw in an Air Locker and you are set. I hate it anyways when the FJ beeps at me for doing something stupid, my gf calls it the dumbass alarm. I would rather take out those damn sensors.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I talked with Ben at OTT a few weeks ago and he is no longer making the 80 steering arms. You are correct on the arm covering the holes in the top of the knuckles where the sensors get installed. The other issues is the technology used in the FJ80 .vs the FJC's. The technology (i.e. sensors and signals) are completely different between the two. However, it might be possible to convert the FJ80 speed signal into something that the FJC's skid control ecu can use. It won't be cheap, but might be possible.
I have to raise the BS flag on the OTT stuff. I have talked to OTT in length about this. They no longer offer PRODUCTION arms but will do it on a CUSTOM basis and you send them the knuckles. I have talked to OTT, Slee, Cruiser Outfitters, Marlin, 4x4 labs and others about FJ80 arms. OTT and Slee are the only ones to touch them. I was going to have two sets made one for me and one for another individual. I decided it would be easier to make a hybrid mini outers work.

With people out there making entire new knuckles(trail-gear) you would think someone would have made a larger mini style knuckle to fit on the FJ80 Balls.

Side note: Vendors if you are reading this pay attention as we need a FJ80 hysteer solution.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Side note: Vendors if you are reading this pay attention as we need a FJ80 hysteer solution.

x2

Kyle, your posts today have been awesome, and Im not going to reference what I am referring to!!!:confused:

This is another one of your gem references....Couldn't agree more....once again! I dont understand why the angry part of me doesn't like you.:p

·
Registered
162 Posts
x2

Who cares about A-TRAC when you throw a solid axle under there! Throw in an Air Locker and you are set. I hate it anyways when the FJ beeps at me for doing something stupid, my gf calls it the dumbass alarm. I would rather take out those damn sensors.
x2
Its like learning to drive with my mother always there nagging me. I wished there were a button to disable all that safety bullshit.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
x2
Its like learning to drive with my mother always there nagging me. I wished there were a button to disable all that safety bullshit.
I am suprised the A-TRAC button isnt dual acting, like if you hold for 3 seconds it turns of VSC or something??? In my taco the VSC off swtich controls VSC, Auto LSD, TRAC and A-TRAC... I just cant use A-TRAC and the locker like you guys can.. oh well

·
Registered
646 Posts
With people out there making entire new knuckles(trail-gear) you would think someone would have made a larger mini style knuckle to fit on the FJ80 Balls.

I would love this. I want to get the tie rod out from behind the axle so I dont have the interference problems with my links that IM getting now. Has anyone brought that up to Trailgear or anyone?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I would love this. I want to get the tie rod out from behind the axle so I dont have the interference problems with my links that IM getting now. Has anyone brought that up to Trailgear or anyone?
Not to be a prick but TG used marlins specs. You can use the Slee ones, he has a set that you can use 80 rod ends as well. Here is a pics of one of the first sets that was used with Hydro. He just put a 80 series axle under a 100 series with a tradional hysteer setup..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts