TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A came across a 89 ( i beleieve) s15 ( also know'n as s-10) with a SAS and 40" mudding tires on it. whole truck minus motor for $500 canadian.

it has about 10" of lift to the suspension.

would it be worth using most of the parts or should i start from scratch?

i already know i can use the back springs and shocks but im not 100% on what i can use from the front.

he was talking about the truck needing new diff's out of a super duty or out of a heavy duty ram.

what other question etc should i gather up to ask him???

i know i will still ened for shure to buy all the oil parts from a t-100.

i am 80% shure the axle is a DANA not shure which model.

i will get tons of pictures of the truck to post with this add so everyone gets a better idea of whats there

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hmm, an 80's S-10 with SAS, on 40's, supposedly built for mudding? All of this sound like the making of some potential fuckstick fab...

Pictures first, but be warned, this thing is already starting to sound like a real bucket.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
its an 80s gmc mini with axles worth more than the truck.... sounds like @ least a d60.... but the axle is probably the only good part.... hell, even with a motor i wouldnt pay over $100 for that....... s10s were crap

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
he was talking about the truck needing new diff's out of a super duty or out of a heavy duty ram.
What exactly does this mean? It sounds like a bastard project gone wrong and you're looking at someone elses nightmare. If you don't know what you're looking at, you don't know what to ask the seller, and you don't understand what the seller is telling you, then I suggest you back away from the purchase and do some more research before you waste your money.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
You would need to ID the axles first, see if they are even worth your time.

If they are D44s or D60s, or corperate chebby axles or a clone, the strength and ease of parts availability is there, go for it.

THEN see what kind of shape they are in? Will it be as easy as regearing, cutting off the brackets, setting it up for high steer OR will it need new axle tubes, bearings, axles, etc etc etc?

The body or make? Who cares? For $500, IF the axles are useable, sell the body or whats left of it on Crags as a "you haul" type deal.

Wally

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will the leaf springs shocks and wheels be no use to me??? along with other bolts and other stuff???

·
Registered
682 Posts
Alright, you asked for it:

It's fucking impossible to tell you what is under this rig right now in regards to running gear or suspension. We can definitely ID stuff as good or bad but we need pictures! There are about a million different combinations of things that this could have on it. And giving a incredibly vague description doesn't help. It's like calling the a tech support line for assembling a particle accelerator.

No, don't re-use the bolts unless they are in immaculate shape, just spend a few dollars and get new stuff, this project is not going to be cheap, period.

Seeing how you have NO clue as to the ID of the axles, (10-bolt corporate, Ford 9", D44, D60? Driver or passenger side drop, open or closed knuckle...), are you sure that even if we gave the green light would you be able to do right? NONE of this shit will be bolt-on, that is for damned sure, you are gonna be fabbing brackets, links, tab, whatever... and you need to do a good job, not some fucked up hill-billy tweaker shit so you don't kill yourself and/or someone else.

What are the leaf springs out of? A deuce and a half? A '85 300ZX?
What shocks is he running? Les Schwab Mountain Rider piece of shit shocks or Bilstein 9100's? How the fuck are we supposed to know?

So that means we can't help until we get good pictures from multiple angles of everything that you might want to try and use. Take measurements as well.

Contrary to popular opinion, I/we don't read minds. We are trying to help you man, but you are making it really hard on us.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
What made S10s crap?
garbage suspension, lots of recalls, crappy ride, unreliable, crap trannies, crap differentials, poor trim, the only maybe good thing is if you got the 4.3 engine.... the 2.8 is underpowered, grossly....

the s10 is chevrolet, the s15 is gmc which is supposed to be a litle more heavy duty than the chevrolet

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
basically, its a garbage truck... you wont be able to use anything off of it other than the axle housing itself. jsut get an axle off of something and know what it is......

with the amount of work and $ to make this other pos work, you could have done the damn thing the right way with parts that work well instead of trying to frankenstein a truck together.... do you really want 10" of lift?! hell, i see people with toyotas with 5" of lift clear 40s.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts