TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Toytec 3'' lift with Dakar rear springs. This has allowed me to get by with 33''s, but of course they rub a bit. I am going to do a SAS coming up over the next couple months and was looking for a bit of advise. I know there are tons of threads on the matter, but I don't have much computer time at work to sift through them. Here's what I was thinking and would love it for people to tell me I'm crazy or on the right track:

1. Leafs front and rear (going to go with Alcan springs)
2. Want to run 35''s without rubbing, so I think along with some fender cutting, I can do this with 4'' lift springs?
3. Having axles built custom, but need an elocker third member for the front(anyone do the all-time elocker mod and have a procedure?) Anyone near Grass Valley CA have parts for this gig I can buy?

Would having the same lift specs on the front and rear springs give me a level ride? I usually have about 500lbs in my bed, and I have a camper shell, so I'd like it to stay nice and level. My buddy is the owner of 4x4Labs in California, so I'll have all the fab advice I can get, but the logistics of this would be great to have input since there are hundreds if not thousands of you whom have done this. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Height of springs is dependent on where your front mounts will end up ie frenched shackles hangers or under the frame shackles hangers. I run 4” front (under the frame shackles) and 6” rear. With no weight in the bed the rear is a little bit higher maybe about an inch at the most. But, I moved the rear shackle hanger pretty far forward to get a relaxed shackle angle and smoother ride.

ORS has the ELocker wiring you need. https://www.offroadsolutions.com/products/category/wiring-harnesses/e-locker-wiring-harnesses/

Diamond axle can build you a complete axle with ELocker.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Height of springs is dependent on where your front mounts will end up ie frenched shackles hangers or under the frame shackles hangers. I run 4” front (under the frame shackles) and 6” rear. With no weight in the bed the rear is a little bit higher maybe about an inch at the most. But, I moved the rear shackle hanger pretty far forward to get a relaxed shackle angle and smoother ride.

ORS has the ELocker wiring you need. https://www.offroadsolutions.com/products/category/wiring-harnesses/e-locker-wiring-harnesses/

Would you recommend the Frenched shackle hangers or the under the frame? And would there be an advantage to either whether it be up front or in the rear? Do you have pictures of your rig, especially how you set this up? Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Would you recommend the Frenched shackle hangers or the under the frame? And would there be an advantage to either whether it be up front or in the rear? Do you have pictures of your rig, especially how you set this up? Thank you for the response.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
I had 4" springs on my last rig. The front end of the spring was on the frame with no drop. The back end of it was off the bottom of the frame with a 5" iirc shackle. The back was 63 chevies with an aal amd I left the overload, 6" shackle.

I cleared 35s with minor trimming. This was a 24" frame height.

If i had to do it over again, Id 3 link. But since I realize thats not doable for some, I'd run the front side of the spring down off the frame about 2 inches (like the usual kits) and french the hangers into the frame.

Why? The way i had it worked, but because the angle of the springs, the tire travels pretty far towards the rear under compression. Youll need more slip on the driveline and its tough to keep the tire out of the firewall. Plus you are limited in uptravel becayse of the pitman arm clearance. But the frenched shackles will keep you lower and make the springs flatter.

Current rig is 3 link and is well worth the extra work. Research on link setups and plug in some figures into a 3link calc. Its not too bad...

Also, I'm in vacaville and do gear installs on the side. If you need a gear install let me know

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had 4" springs on my last rig. The front end of the spring was on the frame with no drop. The back end of it was off the bottom of the frame with a 5" iirc shackle. The back was 63 chevies with an aal amd I left the overload, 6" shackle.

I cleared 35s with minor trimming. This was a 24" frame height.

If i had to do it over again, Id 3 link. But since I realize thats not doable for some, I'd run the front side of the spring down off the frame about 2 inches (like the usual kits) and french the hangers into the frame.

Why? The way i had it worked, but because the angle of the springs, the tire travels pretty far towards the rear under compression. Youll need more slip on the driveline and its tough to keep the tire out of the firewall. Plus you are limited in uptravel becayse of the pitman arm clearance. But the frenched shackles will keep you lower and make the springs flatter.

Current rig is 3 link and is well worth the extra work. Research on link setups and plug in some figures into a 3link calc. Its not too bad...

Also, I'm in vacaville and do gear installs on the side. If you need a gear install let me know

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thank you. I want to do a link setup, but I don't have the time in my buddies shop; only for leafs. The advise is great. So if I use the standard front drop perch(vendor TBD), and french hangers for the back of the front springs, with 4'' new leafs, I should be good to go? Also, for the rear, I was thinking about chevy 63'' springs, but was thinking new springs back there would also be good. If I do new ones, I could get a custom height, but it sounds like you got the height you wanted from the chevy springs. What would you recommend? I also assume to use standard drop shackles in the rear either way?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Frenched shackles would be best to attain the lowest possible ride height. I however didn't like any of the products out there for frenching the shackles on a Tacoma. The way that the Tacoma frames are shaped doesn't lend well to frenched shackle hangers. But, it is doable.
Shackles on the rear of the leaf springs is much better than in the front. If they are in the front the axle will have to move back all the way with the shackles before the tire will start climbing.

This is a picture of the truck with loaded out toolbox (about 100 pounds of tools, fluids, and spare parts) and an empty yeti cooler. The original plan was 5" springs in the back but they were backordered when I needed them so I got the 6's. I do like having a bit of rake in the back for a more leveled ride when the truck is loaded down with camping supplies and whatnot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frenched shackles would be best to attain the lowest possible ride height. I however didn't like any of the products out there for frenching the shackles on a Tacoma. The way that the Tacoma frames are shaped doesn't lend well to frenched shackle hangers. But, it is doable.
Shackles on the rear of the leaf springs is much better than in the front. If they are in the front the axle will have to move back all the way with the shackles before the tire will start climbing.

This is a picture of the truck with loaded out toolbox (about 100 pounds of tools, fluids, and spare parts) and an empty yeti cooler. The original plan was 5" springs in the back but they were backordered when I needed them so I got the 6's. I do like having a bit of rake in the back for a more leveled ride when the truck is loaded down with camping supplies and whatnot.
View attachment 61441
What was the lift on those front springs?

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Cool. Maybe next time I head your way we can meet up for a cup of coffee. I go visit friends in Sonoma quite frequently and cruise right by you. I'd love to check out your rig.
You’re welcome to check out my rig but I’m nowhere near Sonoma..
I’m out in Austin Texas now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts