TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Happy, Happy, Happy
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am I looking at pretty much the same price to SAS a mid 80's 4runner as I am on the Taco?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Spacecwboy said:
am I looking at pretty much the same price to SAS a mid 80's 4runner as I am on the Taco?
I think it should be cheaper and easier.

For 1 there kits that are out there from everyone some almost as close as bolt up can be (Close)
Then you more axle combos your able to use that you could pic up cheap .. in some cases completly bult in loaded

Reserach it some more but it should be cheaper (depending on what your wanting of coarse)

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
probably a little cheaper but if you are going to do it you might as well do the taco. the ride will be better and you won't have to deal with the hassles of buying an older vehicle that you have no idea what the history is. like manny said there is a lot more kits out there for the older ones, but after seeing the all-pro truck at national to it makes me not want to get rid of my taco.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I don't see how it will be any cheaper except that the steering gear is already there. It still requires the same parts,same labor process, same amount of fabrication, and the same building process. Maybe I am missing something?????

how much are you looking to spend is what you should be asking yourself.

·
Row Row Row your Boat
1,632 Posts
the big advantage is that you are not messing up your nice new (2003)taco, instead you are setting up a much better (mid 80's) trail rig.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
but with a trail rig you'll need the tow rig and trai;er....Just wait it out till a good trail rig pops up that has an SAS...You might need to come by my new place and check out the new rigs cause were going to have some left over parts but this will be lots of money and time. Personally wait till you can find a good trail rig with an SAS for 3-5k if you want to take wheeling to the next leval. Or if you want a rig that you can still drive 4+ hours, wheel the piss outa it and drive 4+ hours back just suck it up and SAS the red rocket

·
Row Row Row your Boat
1,632 Posts
ya, talk him into the trail rig option cause he is wanting to buy my extra 4runner from me.
So please talk him into it, not out of it.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
Spacecwboy said:
Hey Vince, When is your wife due?
I aks this since this will play a major role in your wheeling schedule.

If you are going to buy a project vehicle .....Forecast how much time you will need to complete the vehicle....... If you have the time & money to do so before the delivery date ...go ahead...
Otherwise- expect to be preoccupied during the next year and consider postponing any major projects until then. The project is likely going to just sit there since you'll be spending every free moment with the lil' McClammy.

As far as cost is concerned...
It should be slightly cheaper & easier as far as parts are concerned to SAS the 80's $runner- (They were available with SA for a few years anyways)
Does your 2003 DC have ABS?

-The next thing I look at is resale value. If you SAS your DC...How much are you going to be able to recoupe IF you have to unload it compared to the the 4runner? If you are going to SAS a 2003 Taco does that mean you are willing to treat it and beat it like a trail rig.

OT- Did the Timing belt tool work out for you?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I vote for the 'runner. It will be slightly cheaper as the crossover steering is already in place. Besides, the shorter wheelbase, and sacrificial sheetmetal will be better on the trail. As Phong pointed out, one must consider resale value....which is typically very low on a customized rig.

I have been fortunate enough to have two vehicles, one for wheelin' and one to drive to work on Monday, for over 20 years. It ain't a bad way to go, particularly after a rough time on the trail.

·
Registered
242 Posts
cheaper

The cost of used axles for a built d44 have been somewhere in the 1200-1400 range while i've been looking. Not beat to shit.

I have often looked at the toy axles built, basically same components, for less than 1000.

The 3rds are easily removed and replaceable when breaking. Much more involved on a d44. And you can find 3rds for sale everywhere for not too much.

If getting a truck, then you should have the IFS box already...then draglinks and all are made my every toy company out there. Just get u a already SAS'd rig or an early 80s model. 22r?? So propane it. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
speedemon55
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing