TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has come to get my research done and start preparing parts to SAS my '86 4Runner.

Here's the rig as-is: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost.php?p=625763&postcount=503

And I just scored a deal on:
  • '85 Toyota Axles, Gusseted
  • 3rd Members With 5.71s
  • ARB Air Lockers
  • ARB Air Tanks
  • ARB Compresor
  • Misc. Parts Such As Rebuild Kits and Air Lines
I've looked at a lot of the FAQs and Googled the heck out of it but there's just sooooooo much info. it's hard to digest. It looks like there's some SAS kits out there, or I can fab my own stuff (I do have the skills/access to a plasma cutter and welders) and I'm not sure which way to go. I want enough lift to clear 35"s with great articulation (obviously I'll be cutting the fenders some and such).

Some of my big concerns are:
  • Axle width, the '85s are narrower. Should I just use my rear axle? Will the 3rd Member and ARB work? I've heard something about different knucles for the front that will get my width back.
  • Steering, with the height I have planned I'll need a cross-over steering kit, right?
  • Driveshafts, I'm assuming I need to have them lengthened.
  • And just how high do I need to go for 35s
I won't get started for a few months so I want to get all my ducks in a row.

-TJ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm leaning towards this: http://www.allprooffroad.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=24 with the 5" or 6" springs. Of course I'll do long springs or maybe 63" Chevy springs to match height and add flex.

Any reason I should consider something else? Are there options that will flex better?

-TJ <--can't wait to start :welder: :saw: :welder:

·
Registered
447 Posts
You're on the right path, at least you've researched and got some info before posting and getting flamed!

One thing that caught my eye was the gears in the 3rd member you picked up, 5.71's? Most people don't recommend those gears because the pinion gear is so small that it's easily broken. I'd look at 5.29's as the lowest gear, especially if you're only running 35" tires. You might even want to look into 4.88's.

As far as the '85 axle choice, that's what I'm using in mine right now and it's the simplest of choices but you do sacrifice width. If you want a certain width, don't mess around and get a diamond axle, www.diamondaxle.com

If you want to keep it simple, look at doing a leaf spring front with a Marlin Crawler or similar SAS kit. I'll be putting on the 4" springs with 37's and cutting my fenders. I'm trying to keep it as low as I can to keep the COG low but for you and your 35's, I'd go with the 3" springs, especially because you don't mind cutting your fenders.

You had also asked about a kit that widens the front axle from an '85. There is such a kit and it's from Sky Manufacturing. www.sky-manufacturing.com
It uses the hubs from your IFS and adds spacers between the rotor and the IFS hubs to give you a width that will match your IFS rear axle. There is also another way of accomplishing this by mounting the caliper on the outside of the knuckle, there's a writeup on Pirate, but that scares me, especially if it's going to be driven on the street at all.

Look into all that before buying everything, that's what I did and I think it's gonna pay off in the end. Since this is your first SAS, as is mine, it's always easiest to keep it simple and use what's proven. Happy wheelin' :D

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
tjZ06 said:
Well the time has come to get my research done and start preparing parts to SAS my '86 4Runner.

Here's the rig as-is: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost.php?p=625763&postcount=503

And I just scored a deal on:
  • '85 Toyota Axles, Gusseted
  • 3rd Members With 5.71s
  • ARB Air Lockers
  • ARB Air Tanks
  • ARB Compresor
  • Misc. Parts Such As Rebuild Kits and Air Lines
I've looked at a lot of the FAQs and Googled the heck out of it but there's just sooooooo much info. it's hard to digest. It looks like there's some SAS kits out there, or I can fab my own stuff (I do have the skills/access to a plasma cutter and welders) and I'm not sure which way to go. I want enough lift to clear 35"s with great articulation (obviously I'll be cutting the fenders some and such).

Some of my big concerns are:
  • Axle width, the '85s are narrower. Should I just use my rear axle? Will the 3rd Member and ARB work? I've heard something about different knucles for the front that will get my width back.
  • Steering, with the height I have planned I'll need a cross-over steering kit, right?
  • Driveshafts, I'm assuming I need to have them lengthened.
  • And just how high do I need to go for 35s
I won't get started for a few months so I want to get all my ducks in a row.

-TJ
The Project Angry pics might give you a taste of what your into.

http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album211

We started with an 89 4runner. Swapped in an '84 axle up front gusseted top and bottom with 30-spline Bobby Longfields, ARB locker, and 5.29's...the Trail Gear SAS kit comes with all new bearings and seals for a complete front end rebuild.

Rear axle I kept the stocker 89 (for the bigger brake drums) but swapped in the third from the axle-setup I bought (5.29 geared rear with a detroit locker)

SAS kit is a Trail Gear 6" kit, front and rear...

Wheels/tires are a US steel style 84 with a 2.5" offset, and 35" BFG MT/KO's.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Angry Andy said:

We started with an 89 4runner. Swapped in an '84 axle up front gusseted top and bottom with 30-spline Bobby Longfields, ARB locker, and 5.29's...the Trail Gear SAS kit comes with all new bearings and seals for a complete front end rebuild.

Rear axle I kept the stocker 89 (for the bigger brake drums) but swapped in the third from the axle-setup I bought (5.29 geared rear with a detroit locker)

no spacers up front?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Angry Andy said:

And why don't you wheel Angry Andy?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input and links!

I scored all of the stuff I listed for an insane deal. I was a little worried about the 5.71s myself. Besides just being weaker they have me thinking about going much bigger than I originally intended. This still will be a street driven rig. Originally I was talking about 33"s, LoL. I think a 35" will be a good compromise though. I do want to keep the truck as low as possible for C.O.G. but I don't want to give up articulation.

"Porject Angry" looks like just about what I'm going for.

-TJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts