TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I here people talk about how once you go to a power assit set up you have a delay in steering, and it's most noticable on the street?
Is this true?

If it is, why couldn't you put some valves in your hydro lines to turn it off for the street? I don't think it would be any differnt than running around with plugs in your box like I'm doing right now? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
650 Posts
a delay in steering is due to an improperly adjusted setup. Its amazing the result that a few thread turns of the heims at the end of the ram will have on the sensitivity/ delay of the hydro steering. I had to play w/ mine quite a bit to get it right.

The setup Dick and I run uses quick disconnects on the hydro lines which can be run w/ out plugs. you would have to remove the ram since it couldnt cylce w/ out being connected to a 'looped' hyrdro setup. you could male/ female interconnect the hoses, but it would be pretty ghetto and result in a very "heavy" feeling steering stabilizer.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I don't have a problem with mine. However, at one time I did consider putting valves in it. I even bought three high pressure ball valves to do it. Part of the reason was in case the cylinder ever became damaged off road but then I decided that putting quick disconnects in the lines was a better solution for the damaged cylinder senario. I found that I have good steering on the street so didn't do the valves. The disconnects have proven to be handy for other reasons too. BTW, I went one step further and used tine pins for each of the heims. Swapping cylinders is as easy as pie now. If your steering is too slow it must be something else like too large of a cylinder bore or something.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
snowchucker said:
a delay in steering is due to an improperly adjusted setup. Its amazing the result that a few thread turns of the heims at the end of the ram will have on the sensitivity/ delay of the hydro steering. I had to play w/ mine quite a bit to get it right.

The setup Dick and I run uses quick disconnects on the hydro lines which can be run w/ out plugs. you would have to remove the ram since it couldnt cylce w/ out being connected to a 'looped' hyrdro setup. you could male/ female interconnect the hoses, but it would be pretty ghetto and result in a very "heavy" feeling steering stabilizer.
Cool deal!

Hey I was looking at your website (don't let anyone find out)..lol I'm interested in those steering lines. Am I to understand they just bolt right up to the steering box and pump? If so How do I order a set? I don't feel like getting custom ones made if yours are only 40.00.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dick Foster said:
I don't have a problem with mine. However, at one time I did consider putting valves in it. I even bought three high pressure ball valves to do it. Part of the reason was in case the cylinder ever became damaged off road but then I decided that putting quick disconnects in the lines was a better solution for the damaged cylinder senario. I found that I have good steering on the street so didn't do the valves. The disconnects have proven to be handy for other reasons too. BTW, I went one step further and used tine pins for each of the heims. Swapping cylinders is as easy as pie now. If your steering is too slow it must be something else like too large of a cylinder bore or something.
so you don't have the delay? THats good to here! Mine is allot tighter after the rebuild but I want to do my ram soon!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tacodab said:
Jason
a little off topic but it still has to do with steering :)..... what pitman arm did you use? stock with insert or a custom one? thanks man!!
Well thats a funny story! I started off with a aftermarket shinny one! It was really loose on the splines? Don't know why? Then I swapped that out for one from partsmike but it was the wrong size, so I chopped it up welded it back together then plated it on the out side.

I will buy anther one some day, but I just don't know where to get it? due to my coil overs and panhard bar location, I need one with the drop of a landcruiser but the shortness of a factory IFS toyota? For now my welded one is working just fine, I watch it for any problems but so far it's fine!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
cb77DEMELLO said:
Well thats a funny story! I started off with a aftermarket shinny one! It was really loose on the splines? Don't know why? Then I swapped that out for one from partsmike but it was the wrong size, so I chopped it up welded it back together then plated it on the out side.
have you looked at Sky's 3/4 arm???

·
Dean
2,585 Posts
cb77DEMELLO said:

I will buy anther one some day, but I just don't know where to get it? due to my coil overs and panhard bar location, I need one with the drop of a landcruiser but the shortness of a factory IFS toyota? For now my welded one is working just fine, I watch it for any problems but so far it's fine!
thanks for the info...damn that is a story and a half :)
looks like the stock one with the insert is the way for me.

·
Dean
2,585 Posts
cb77DEMELLO said:

the more I think about how that must look I can see I on Roberts scary steering page....don't let any pics of that setup get out..LOL :)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
tacodab said:
yea, talked with them and he had a problem getting me the part :( so I need to go with the stock arm until I can get another ...possibly better way of doing it.
weird, I thought they kept them in stock. I called about haveing it lengthened
~3/4". its about that much shorter then the stock one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts