TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 tacoma 3.4L. I am wanting to know what kind of axle I should purchase to do a sas on my truck. Have no idea cause I'm a douchebag noob. Any help would be awesome!:cool:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
My opinion is this...

First off, you want something that's drivers side drop. With that being said, I went with a D44 out of an 87 heep wagoneer. 2 years later, I wish I had gone with a Dana 60. The 44 is just too skinny for my liking. The truck is unstable on sidehills, and I think the added width would be better.

I was trying to keep the tires inside the body for legal reasons as I was planning on daily driving this rig. That is now out the window, and I trailer to the trails, so that's no longer an issue.

·
Registered
358 Posts
could go with a full width 44 from a 76-79 ford bronco or f150. a D60 isnt necessary for everyone. what size tires do you plan on running? suspension set up? where will you be wheelin? there are a lot of deciding factors that should go into an axle. im no expert, but you should be 100% sure on your set up before cutting off your ifs.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
2004 tacoma 3.4L. I am wanting to know what kind of axle I should purchase to do a sas on my truck. Have no idea cause I'm a douchebag noob. Any help would be awesome!:cool:
figure out what you want to do with the truck...keep it street-worthy or a trailer queen?
what size tires?
what type of wheeling?

start with reading all the articles and builds in the SAS folder; then get back to us ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it would be for 100% wheelin', however I would have to drive it to the trails. So I would like to someday run 37s on it, but 35s for now would be fine.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If i was to do it again and start over i would have gone with a D60 up front, or if the money was there a 60-9.

I went with a D44, 9" combo full width axles. I love the stability that the wide axles offer on the trail and i have no issues running down the highway. The 44 is holding up with the exception of Hubs, but we will see how long it can hold together.

If money is not an issue i would look into some of the aftermarket housings like spydertrax, dynatrac or something along those lines.

Other than that you have a lot of research to do. I would skip the 35's too, start with the right gears and 37's, you will want bigger than 35's

What type of suspension are you looking at?
Leafs
3 link
radius arms

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
it would be for 100% wheelin', however I would have to drive it to the trails. So I would like to someday run 37s on it, but 35s for now would be fine.
what kind of wheeling? general trails around CO? sand? mud? malls?

start reading as much as you can...ask questions later ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
God i hate it when people to tell me to read grr!
But am i glad i did!! Now i got a sexy rock solid rig that will eat your stock jeep!! GRR!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
5.70s with 35's? I bet thats fun around town.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
5.70s with 35's? I bet thats fun around town.
he could hole-shoot motor cycles :D

(lets see how many get that one, LOL)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Im in the same place as LueBke13 want to SAS except i have a 98 and I've been told if u do a D60 that u have to swap the rear axle too is that true...it will be a DD

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Im in the same place as LueBke13 want to SAS except i have a 98 and I've been told if u do a D60 that u have to swap the rear axle too is that true...it will be a DD
the problem with stock 60s is the lack of clearance with tires under 38" tall...and for that you'll want to change the rear as well...otherwise it's a waste of time. now, Rockjock 60s? whole 'nuther animal ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts