TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sas'in my '88

ok, so I am getting ready to sas my '88 yota with an '83 axle. I got all the parts, the springs, perches, shock mounts, etc. but what I need to know and can't seem to find is, will my stock '88 steering box and pitman arm work temporarily for this set up? I looked and looked, but can't seem to figure it out. I am eventually going to go with a hi-steer system, but just dont have the $$$ for it now and will not have the time to do this again for several months. I guess I could just get the axle in and let it sit for a few months, but that is just a shame. thanks in advance for any help you guys can give

·
Registered
398 Posts
look at the marlin kit and see if you have everything there. those parts are what you need to do the swap. your going to need a pitman arm, not sure about the steering box. i have a 94 and i'm not going to need to move mine, but it might be different for the old 4runners

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You have to do hi steer, you cant wait and do it. The 83 used a much different setup for steering.

Relocating the factory box fwd depends on how far fwd you move the axle, under normal circumstances you dont have to relocate it.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You have to do hi steer, you cant wait and do it. The 83 used a much different setup for steering.

Relocating the factory box fwd depends on how far fwd you move the axle, under normal circumstances you dont have to relocate it.
You need to plate it so why not go ahead and move it forward.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wait a few more months buy the HI-STEER for it then do it all the same time done deal
thanks, I got it worked out so I can do all the work now, and leave the truck at my parents house until i get the cash and time for the histeer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

yeah i thought it was similar until I got the axle out fo the donor truck and looked at it and noticed it didnt seem to fit with what i have from the ifs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
look at the marlin kit and see if you have everything there. those parts are what you need to do the swap. your going to need a pitman arm, not sure about the steering box. i have a 94 and i'm not going to need to move mine, but it might be different for the old 4runners
yeah i got all those parts, except for the hi steer, but oh well, I will get one sometime in the months to come

·
Registered
133 Posts
Has anything else been done to this truck? I'm about to do an '88 also and am collecting info before I get started on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry, my first post here and im stealing your thread.

do you really need a new pitman arm to set up a high steer?

I'm in the process of building my own kit, my dad's a machinest and his shop is really lax about us using the equipment.

Anyway If you move the IFS steering box forward enough for the draglink/pitman are TRE to clear the tie rod, do I still need a pitman arm?

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/steering1.htm

I'll probably wind up buying that one.
My tie rod and pitman arm were hitting under full compression.

I drilled and tapered a hole in the pitman arm and cut off the end so the drag link and tie rod would clear.

The drawback is slower steering response, other than that it seems to be working.

·
Registered
156 Posts
your stock ifs pitman arm will not take the fj80 tres. you can send your arm off and have a sleeve put in it or just get a new one.
thanks,
alan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts