TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had to use it before but it was 10 degrees this morning and when I turned the key, nothing. Battery was fine. I figure the little white spring-loaded switch the back of the pedal touches to start might be going. It was ok a little while later. Anyone ever have this problem? Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well I dont think that is what the clutch start cancel is really intended to be used for, but hey whatever works. I was stuck on the top of a dune in Glamis once and the clutch start cancel got us going. It really works as a super low gear when ya need it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
my truck does that sometimes...you put the clutch to the floor and nothing, then you go "shiiiiiiiit" because it's so cold and you don't wanna have to jump it, so as a last ditch effort you hit the button and bam, it works. I don't know why it happens, but it does it to me too and it seems to be related to the cold even though that doesn't really make sense if it's a switch.
Ryan

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
eh it does make sense if its a switch. its just got chit in there like moisture or something so when it gets cold its a little harder to work

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
TheChiefSinner said:
Well I dont think that is what the clutch start cancel is really intended to be used for, but hey whatever works. I was stuck on the top of a dune in Glamis once and the clutch start cancel got us going. It really works as a super low gear when ya need it.
how does it work as a super low gear? i thought it just bypassed the clutch for you to start it.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
It does, but if you start in while IN GEAR it's a "super low"..

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
d33pt said:
how does it work as a super low gear? i thought it just bypassed the clutch for you to start it.
in gear,no clutch,push button,turn key=now your are using starters gearing=super low.

·
Registered
185 Posts
hey can someone explain how the clutch start cancel works - I undertand it bypasses the clutch in sticky situations; but thats it - but what the heck happens when you push that button? Do you have to give the truck gas while starting it with the CST engaged to avoid a stall? Does it magically make the truck move from a dead stop without clutch play?

I mean what happens - I am fantastically confused here. (I'm new to standard trannies)

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
Hit the CSC button, put the truck in neutral, it will fire right up.

If you need to get over or out of something and you need to go really slow, leave the truck in gear, hit the CSC button, and when you turn the ignition, it cranks over, but in most cases will not start, but since you are in gear, it gets you moving really slow.

If you don't press the button and do not press in the clutch, the truck will not even turn over (if I remember correctly... I just use the CSC most of the time anyways).

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is being cancelled is the switch that indicated the clutch is fully depressed and the vehicle is not starting in gear. When you hit the clutch cancel, you are allowing the truck to start, even though the clutch is not depressed meaning the safety switch is not depressed.

Nothing mechanical to it, just another protect us from ourselves thing. The clutch safety switch is the equivalent of the warning on the hair dryer that warns you not to use it in the tub. People not paying attention and starting the truck with the clutch engaged and in gear move inadvertantly and hurt people. Thus the switch requiring the clutch to be depressed to start. Bypass that switch with the cancel, and you are free to injure all and crank up and do whatever.

Daniel

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
agroal said:
I've never had to use it before but it was 10 degrees this morning and when I turned the key, nothing. Battery was fine. I figure the little white spring-loaded switch the back of the pedal touches to start might be going. It was ok a little while later. Anyone ever have this problem? Thanks
You can also pull the connector off the switch at the clutch pedal and have yourself another layer of theft deterrence.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I have had to use it after a couple of ice storms where it took me 2 days of beating on the ice to get into the truck, passenger side had less ice. Thus once inside rather than climb over the seat, reached over and hit the CCS to fire it up and let the heat melt the ice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts