TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have made up my mind. im tired of the front axle i have now, like my motor but want something that i can make a little torqier without spending big bucks, plus i want the v8 sound :D so ill be putting 2 front rockwells under the truck (still looking for these bastards at a good price) ive had an old chevy in the back yard, so i got out there yesterday and after sitting for 6 years, a little tinkering got it to fire right up. motor was completly rebuilt about 6 years ago with a few upgrades, motor is a 305, wish it was a 350. it will have a sm465 for the tranny, and a np205/203 double case. 4 linked front and rear, self centing rear steer, and 42 or 44 in TSL's. hopefully the truck will stay together untill this winter, working in 100 degree weather sucks, working in 35 degree weather with a welding jacket on kicks ass. buld up has begun because i fawked around with the motor thats going in it. :D it will be feed by propain

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Sound like a killer project. I may be interested in your current axle when you take it out. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YUNADERIS said:
what propane kit are you going to use?
are you going to shorten the axles?

good luck on the buildup..its going to be a monster
ive got a buddy who is going to hook me up with all the propane stuff, empco or something like that. he runs it on his 350 and it kicks ass. i wont shorten the width of the axles, just pull the drums and flip the hubs and run pinion brakes. the majority of the trails i run are pretty wide, plus the truck is going to have to be raised up a little to clear everything and i want the width to keep it stable. here are the link brackets i plan on using :D

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
One downside to the pinion brake is that if you break a shaft, you can no longer stop that wheel from spinning and use it to slow you down, and therefore have less control over the vehicle.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
AK98Taco said:
One downside to the pinion brake is that if you break a shaft, you can no longer stop that wheel from spinning and use it to slow you down, and therefore have less control over the vehicle.
I do not think he is going to break the axles with 44's

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Anything is possible. On the Pirate board I've seen buggies brake Rockwell shafts with 44s. That's why some people opt for custom chromo shafts for them.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
AK98Taco said:
it may be a down side but it is better than running the rockwell drums! :xbarf: :xbarf: Talk about too wide and heavy.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my little 350hp v8 thats going in the truck isnt going to break the axles( and thats if i get the ramjet 350 that i want) if i put the chevy 305 i have at the shop in its probably only good for about 205hp if that, id love to drop a ramjet 502 in the truck but cant see dropping over 10K for a motor and some major surgery would have to occure to the front end to fit that bastard. There is no way in hell im running drums, and disc cost about 800 bucks per axle. hell i already have about 8K in shit to buy for just the steering and suspension, then i got to buy the axles, then drop the motor/tranny/x-case's in, but thats the cheap part. its all the small shit like, 7/8" FK hiems thats adding up.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AK98Taco said:
Yeah, I think you'll be fine. It's just a possibility.
yep, nothing is un-breakable and i usually find a way to break shit, like the head of a hammer. if i start breaking shafts, they make 300M shafts that if i broke one i would get out of the truck, look at it and just walk away forever. hell it will probably be the first of the year before im done with it, when in reality its a never ending process that is a fawking addiction i just cant shake :xbeer2:

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
zszac111 said:
yep, nothing is un-breakable and i usually find a way to break shit, like the head of a hammer. if i start breaking shafts, they make 300M shafts that if i broke one i would get out of the truck, look at it and just walk away forever. hell it will probably be the first of the year before im done with it, when in reality its a never ending process that is a fawking addiction i just cant shake :xbeer2:
I read through the buildup of one buggy on Pirate. The guy was using Banda axles and had custom 300M shafts made at the cost of about $1,500 each if I remember correctly.

I wish you luck, as always. :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AK98Taco said:
I read through the buildup of one buggy on Pirate. The guy was using Banda axles and had custom 300M shafts made at the cost of about $1,500 each if I remember correctly.

I wish you luck, as always. :)
would happen to be dan dibble would it? (red sniper type chassis) he has some bling on his rig. and yes they are very expensive, but i dont think he has to worry about breaking them now :D i think id just stick with the stock replacements, unless it takes a bunch of other stuff out when something goes boom.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
That is going to be a sick rig. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Trent

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
zszac111 said:
That should be one awsome rig when your done. Good luck with that build up and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah if i could sell some existing shit first, i could get started :D i'll probably only do the coilovers up front to start off with and run my current leafs, axle wrap wont be a problem since i have a trac bar. I just wish i had all my coilovers, airbumps, hiems and a 30' stick of 1 3/4 .375 wall DOM sitting in front of me. thats the expensive part. i need to find that money tree out in the back yard again

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well got started yesterday pulling all the current motor/tranny/x-case, damn there is a lot of wiring, if i wasnt selling the motor with wiring that shit would have just got cut. ended up taking the dash off, steering column off, everything under the dash off, so now i have lots of room :D I will be tying a couple crossmembers into the exo, one will fit the shape of bottom of the front window and I will have an X behind the seats for added triangulation so i will have the best of both worlds as fas as interior cage and exo with minimal weight added. Ill put some pics up as soon as there is something worth showing, unless yall want to see a truck torn apart. anyone need a gauge cluster, clock, AC control panel, steering column, or anything else from the dash?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Since you won't be running your D44 any more you don't have any spare shafts laying around do you? 34 3/4" and a 18 5/8" center yoke to end. They are impossible to find around here. I plan to get some yukons sometime soon but could use some stock spares until I can afford the good stuff.
:xpimp:
Later
-Trent

1 - 20 of 192 Posts