TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
18,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The SoCal TTORA chapter will be teaming with Forest Aid to help the SBNF reforestation efforts on April 11, 2009.

Forest Aid is a massive volunteer effort to replant and restore the fire damaged areas of the San Bernardino National Forest with 35,000 seedlings in 2009. This effort follow the aftermath of the 2003 and 2007 tragic wildfires that burned 185,000 acres.

We are asking for as many volunteers as possible to join us on April 11th to help with the planting. The planting is open to people of all ages. Kids need to be accompanied by adults, but all are welcome.

The planting starts with a meeting at 8:45am, then they will shuttle us to the planting site. Planting will take place from about 9am to 1pm. These few hours of work make a big difference in restoring the fire damage.

Additional details about the work follows:
Hello!

Thank you for registering to volunteer with Forest Aid. We are going to have a big planting season ahead of us and we appreciate your support. The day of the planting we will have all volunteers arrive by 8:45AM to sign in.

Volunteers will be shuttled to that day's planting site for a planting orientation and safety training. All tools will be provided by Forest Aid. Volunteers will be divided into groups of about ten to head out and begin planting until 1:00 PM. Reforestation Supervisors will be available to lead each group.

We encourage that you wear long pants and dress in layers, wear comfortable boots (hard sole footwear), bring a jacket, sunscreen, full water bottle and your own snacks and sack lunch. Forest Aid recommends that you bring a day pack to make sure you have all necessary items for mountain planting. Bulk water will be available to refill bottles. Tree planting at high elevations can be rigorous work, so have a hearty breakfast before you arrive.

If you are under the age of 16, you must have a parent or guardian attend the event with you. If you are over 16 but under 18, you must have the attached parent consent form completed and turned in at the beginning of the event.

Once you are registered, we rely on your attendance.

We look forward to seeing you there!
There is no need to register on the Forest Aid site for those attending with the TTORA group. Please just post up here (or by email) and let me know the names of those who will be attending.

The meeting spot follows:
Lake Arrowhead Church of Latter Day Saints
1160 N Highway 173
Lake Arrowhead, CA 92352
Google Map link

If you have any questions, please let me know or send me an email to: [email protected].

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
I very much encourage everyone to take part in this. As you know Jeremy and I have been up there as supervisors. The work is not hard but very rewarding. Last weekend we even road out in a Pinzguar! Fun! We only worked one day because of weather and still they say we got 1750 trees planted.

The key though is not to plant a lot of trees but to plant each one very well, so that it can live and grow!

Hard soled shoes, boots, really does help. I have taken folks in sneakers out and they had a time of it. The weather changes as the sun gets up so layers are the way to go. A drink and a snack help a lot. There is usually a porta-pottie near or you can be shuttled to it.

On Saturdays they usually stage at the Mormon Church and on Sundays at Arrowhead Elementary. Both a very near each other and easy to find. The ride for the staging area to the planting area is not far and there is room for your day pack. If you do not have gloves, you can use theirs, as well as hard hats.

You will be done in time to enjoy some time in the mountains after, wheeling or whatever you like so you can make a full day of it.

It is wonderful to see TTORA stepping up and I hope a lot of you will do so!!!

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
David is a really great guy and will take good care of you all. It is a great experience, and a very positive environment! You all should really plan to have some fun after you are done as well.

The Mormon Church is about at N34 16 12.3 W117 10 41.0, on the south east corner (if I remember right) of Golden Rule and 173. We've been planting just a few miles north of there.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Just a reminder folks, I need to know who is going so I can send a list to Forest Aid. They asked for a preliminary list a week in advance. So post up or email me the names of those attending. Thanks! :)
I will be there with 1-2 additional hands.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Good to see you again Showstop on a TTORA event!!!! None of the other "old school heads coming???? Darrin? Garry?

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
It is wonderful you are all stepping up. Nice work Tyler getting TTORA mobilized and hope I lot of folks will get involved.

Did an announcement go out on the so. Cal. list. I did not see it if so.

If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

You guys are doing great!

·
Administrator
18,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did an announcement go out on the so. Cal. list. I did not see it if so.
Working on it. I've been busy with the new site, the April events and other things. I'm hoping to have the new SoCal site ready to go maybe as early as tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
put me on that list!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I should be open that saturday for this, put me down for this, as long as we can get some wheeling after I'm down.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I should be open that saturday for this, put me down for this, as long as we can get some wheeling after I'm down.
yes..i knew you were good something haha..excellent idea, maybe Gold Mountain afterwards ?!

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
I'd love to join but i'm testing for CHP that day.

You can go any other Sat or Sun as well, though going with TTORA would be great. If you do not want to go alone, grab a friend or two, groups of three work out great . . . also know that some days, college girls . . need I say more?

Anyway, please try to make another day if you can do the TTORA day up there. They very much need your help.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts