TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looked like a nice afternoon for a drive, so headed up to Marble...

Nice view of the northern slope of Mt Sopris from Dry Park Road south of Glenwood Springs.

Couldn't get this far in March due to snow, so lookin' good!

Took the road to Lizard Lake... You KNOW it's gonna be fun when there's a detour on a one lane 4WD road. This one turned what is normally a bridge crossing to a water obstacle :D

Lizard Lake is one of my favorite spots.

Narrow and getting rocky... Perfect! This is as far as I got back in '98. You can see the remnants fo the landslide that covered the road for about 50 yards. It used to be about 4 feet deep.

Few rocks in the road make for a little fun.

Hmm, not a good sign. Note the large boulders along the right.

Getting worse...

Holy crap!!

A section of the granite wall on the south face sheered off and created this...

Note the size, about as big as my car... the gouge across the road and into the turf was about 3 feet deep and 25 yards long.

Remember all the large boulders along the right side of the first pic? Those and several others created carnage for about 100 yards from the sheering point above to where they rest. Several 1-2ft deep divits are in the road from these beasts BOUNCING across the road.

So I turned around. nice picnic spot, eh?

Looks like a chainsow is in someone's future. Anyone seen a rack mount for one :confused:

·
Registered
195 Posts
WOW, that is one hell of a nice day, less the damage to the trail.......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Avalanche!!!!! I love Colorado. Looks like you had a great day.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a few folks hre that are willing to help clear it, so I'll see what I can come up with and let you know.

I also need to check with the Forest Service and make sure they don't have any preference on how we do it. The road is also going to need some help, so gotta factor that in too. It doesn't need to be repaired to be passable, but there will be erosion problems in the future.

There was also one rig that had been up there just prior to my arrival, so there might be some other folks aware too.

Just gotta find some free time too!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
wow, sure hope it gets opened up by the time i come out next month. if not i am young and have a strong back.
Mike

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would think all those downed timbers would be great material to use for some erosion control. Too bad it's likely to get ganked by people looking to sell firewood.

Once again you've posted some great pics of a fun area without a single shot of the most photographed scene in the continental U.S. Not that I need to see another shot of the mill, but for those that are unfamiliar with the area, it's a point of reference.

Are you already camping up there? It's still a little chilly at night for my taste, but I'll bet Lizard Lake has some hungry trout right now if you're there early in the morning or near dark.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Once again you've posted some great pics of a fun area without a single shot of the most photographed scene in the continental U.S. Not that I need to see another shot of the mill, but for those that are unfamiliar with the area, it's a point of reference.
Whats the mill?? Ive been going to the Aspen/Basalt valley area my whole life and have never heard of "the most photographed scene in the continental US".

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh I forgot to say that area looks fun--Lizard Lake looks waaayy chill. Too bad for the falling boulders stopping the trip.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
nice ;)
...and the main reason I carry my saw on any early season trip.
that would have taken 2 guys a couple hrs to clear...weee!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Whats the mill?? Ive been going to the Aspen/Basalt valley area my whole life and have never heard of "the most photographed scene in the continental US".
I don't know if it still holds the title, but it was the most photographed for a while.

http://www.mycolorado.org/images/schofield/pages/IMG_3287.htm
http://www.mycolorado.org/images/schofield/pages/IMG_3283.htm

The site in these links also has some pretty good trail pics and descriptions for trails all over Colorado. I met the guy on Schofield Pass in 2002. He drive's a pretty sick purple 4Runner.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ahhh yes....I do know the mill....never been there though and don't think I knew it was outside of Aspen.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
i would like to see that place while I'm out there.
Mike

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ahhh yes....I do know the mill....never been there though and don't think I knew it was outside of Aspen.
I don't know if I'd really consider it outside of Aspen, unless you mean as the crow flies. The road to Marble/Crystal (2wd) is off of McClure Pass (CO 133) between Carbondale and Hotchkiss. I grew up in Gunnison, so I've always come from the Crusty Butt side over Schofield (4wd, and not for the faint of heart).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts