TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know the advantages and disadvantages of LCD vs Plasma and we're looking at a new TV. Some good sales on bigger (50") TV's after Christmas so I want to know what to look for. Any tips? LCD or Plasma? Brands to look for or avoid? Thanks. ....Steve

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
k first off im kind of a fan of the older projection tv's just cause they are pretty simple and seem to last forever. I own a 63 inch toshiba and a 46 in hitachi w built in dvd.

that being said i really have no useful input except what one of my friends went through.

he got a 52 in panasonic. not sure which type it is but it has a projector bulb. so far the bulb has burnt out on him twice and he has had to go a total of almost a year combined without his tv due to it being sent back to panasonic for warranty. booo panasonic.

wow that wasnt any help now was it?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
LCD is the way to go. Plasma tvs seem to get the little red dot syndrome pretty quick and they have a projected lifespan. Projection tvs get that shadow affect around the edges and cannot be easily seen unless directly in front, they burn out bulbs. I would buy the new LCD flat screens if I had the choice right now.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read that lifespan on most of the plasmas is around 30-60000 hours. With the amount we watch TV that will never happen so I'm not terribly worried about that. I also saw that LCD TV's aren't as bright in darker areas as a plasma so for a home theatre most sites are suggesting plasma in a 50" size. They're selling a 50" LG plasma for about $1500 which I think is a good price. Any idea how the LG's perform?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Texan1983 said:
i own an LG it's a great TV. good price and great picture quality. highly recommend them for bang for the buck.
Good to know. I know there are some new technologies coming out so I don't want to dump a huge pile of cash on a TV. If I can find one that will last 10 years for $1500 I think it's a pretty good deal but I can't find much for unbiased reviews on the LG stuff. ....Steve

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you have a place in mind for your TV, it helps when you're looking to mount it over your fireplace for example. I have a 42" Sony LCD/Rear Projection TV that has worked flawlessly since I got it. No problems with the bulb ever, and I have it on a lot. The newer rear projections are more than half as "deep" as the older ones. From what I've seen though, the larger plasma and DLP screens that my friends have don't show the same detail in regular TV as my rear-projection.

I could dig up the specific model of it, but I think it's running about 1200 clams right now.

·
Registered
836 Posts
SteveO said:
Here's the one I was looking at. The price is a lot higher on this site but it has all the specs. http://www.electronicsforless.ca/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=341
For the money you are looking at spending, you might consider stepping down a little in size and stepping up in resolution. I know BlueRay and HDDVD are the only CURRENT sources for a full 1080P signal, but if you're going to drop that kind of cash on a TV, why not go all out and be ready for the future. I bought a 42" Sharp Aquos 1080P LCD in early november....with a little haggling and price matching, I got it for under $1800 before taxes. Another thing to keep in mind is you will spend some $$$ on mounting and furnature. To mount a LCD TV over 40" on the wall, expect to spend at least $140 on hardware alone, then you have to have a new piece of furnature for all of your audio and video game stuff. When you count the new surround sound reciever and protection plan (highly recomended for an expensive LCD or Plasma TV), I spent close to $3500 on my sub-$1800 TV. Don't let them sell you expensive digital cables either. A digital signal is a digital signal and a $150 Monster Cable won't cary it any better than a $25 Phillips cable from Wal-Mart. Buying a TV on-line can be a little sketchy too....if you do happen to need service or repair, I'm more inclined to trust a brick and morter joint to take care of me than an on-line retailer. I highly recomend you also invest in a calibration DVD. When I first set me TV up the picture was okay, but after using the calibration DVD that came with Circuit City's extended protection plan, the picture was WOW. I did A LOT of research before I bought my TV. For the 15 or so 1080P LCD televisions available in the 40-50" size, there are actually only three manufacures of the individual parts, so Sony is using the same LCD panel as Samsung.....don't be misled by brand names. If money were no object I'd buy the ONLY Plasma 1080P on the market, but allas, the $8000 Pioneer Elite is just a little beyond my reach.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Plasma vs LCD

Your question was Plasma vs. LCD.
I own some of both and can objectively give you this information:
If you are interested in picture Quality, the plasma is the best. Better blacks, an authentic looking picture ( the LCD by contrast, looks "cartoonish), wide viewing angle. Downside is slight opportunity for "burnin" Have never experienced this.
LCD has the advantage in "brightness" if you must watch in blinding sunlight.
viewing angle is limited.
If you want to see what a current monitor can offer, look at the 50" Pioneer plasma 1080p.
This currently represents the pinnacle, and provides a benchmark when reviewing other monitors, both LCD and plasma.
Just my $.02...

·
Registered
85 Posts
What are you going to do with the TV? Video games? DVD? Cable? Satellite? Is the TV in a light controlled environment? I have a rear projection TV (DLP) and I love it, rear projection LCD are great as well. I agree with the above post, make sure that you get a 1080P. You will also want to get Hi-def cable or satellite. I hate watching regular broadcast.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Breathegood said:
Don't let them sell you expensive digital cables either. A digital signal is a digital signal and a $150 Monster Cable won't cary it any better than a $25 Phillips cable from Wal-Mart.
Cabling DOES make a difference. If it didn't they wouldn't make HDMI cables that are optical which don't degrade over long lengths. No matter what kind of cable you have it can be affected by interferences not under your control. Anyone who knows anything about home theater will agree.

Working in the industry i can help make it easy on you. DO NOT buy a tv online. PERIOD. Always see the tv in person with HD and without so you can get a good sense of what it will look like in your home.

When it comes to flat panel tv's it's not as confusing as you might think in finding the right tv. LCD are an excellent choice right for anything under 50". They offer more 1080P models (1080p is classified as having 1920 x 1080 resolution) to choose from. Are better for brightly lit rooms and glare. Do not suffer from burn in. However LCD's will cost more than plasmas. But i'm a firm believer in not "cheaping out" when you are purchasing flat panel tv's. You get what you pay for. LCD brands to choose from: Sony (highest LCD market share), Samsung (shares technology with Sony but cost less). Sharp, are being resurrected with their new models they are offering out of their state of the art brand new factory in japan. On paper, Sharp tv's are the best bang for the buck offering the fastest refresh rates and highest contrast ratio's.

Plasma's are a great choice for bigger sized flat panels. Plasma's offer better black levels than LCD's (blacks look blacker). Will not suffer from "motion blurring" that some LCD's do. Cost less. IMO, plasma's have a better image but can suffer from burn in, are not as good in bright rooms, and have less 1080p models to choose from. Brands to choose from: Fujitsu (arguably the best panel around but costly), Pioneer/Pioneer Elite (my favorite), Panasonic (best selling plasma tv's in the world. Great overall value, but won't match the performance of a Pioneer or Fujitsu.) There are others worth noting but my fingers hurt.

What ever you choose to do, having your tv ISF calibrated will make any tv look better. This will roughly set you back $300 and ideally would be done from the dealer you purchase the tv from. (i.e. Magnolia Home Theater).

Make sure you sign up for an HD source thru either your cable or satellite company. Although most of the channels are broadcast in standard def, the ones offered in HD are worth the extra money and usually if you subscribe to a DVR service thru your cable company anyways, chances are the box is HD as well.

Always budget for install. If you want to put it on the wall then think about: wall mount, electrical outlet, possible drywall repair, where would you put your components, surround sound?

And remember, no matter how great the picture is, SOUND is what makes a home theater system. Try and spend the same amount you did on the tv if not more if you plan on getting anything decent.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Rear projection: Sucks. Old Technology. If there is light coming into the room from a window, sliding glass door or another room you'll notice it effecting the picture.

LCD: Next best. Keep this in mind though ...Bad viewing angles. If you sit anywhere but directly in front of an LCD the picture won't look right.

Plasma: Best. You can sit almost 180 degrees to the side of a plasma and the picture quality is the same.

Buy a Panasonic 42" Plasma like mine.

It will cost you ALOT less than a 60" and is plenty big enough.

I found the Panasonics ran much cooler and had virtually no " Humming " like the Pioneer ones etc..

See. ( Also that spot on the TV is from the camera flash )

·
Registered
312 Posts
I hate to nit pick but i gotta correct you.

LCD's have the same viewing angles as plasma's. Most are 170 degrees. However LCD's do not have a reflective fron panel like plasmas due making it better for viewing angles in many cases.

Rear projection sets like DLP, LCD projo, LCoS tv's all suffer from off angle viewing issues however are much better than the much older CRT rear projoections tv's. But they do offer a great size for a great price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Plasma vs LCD

MuddButt said:
Rear projection: Sucks. Old Technology. If there is light coming into the room from a window, sliding glass door or another room you'll notice it effecting the picture.

LCD: Next best. Keep this in mind though ...Bad viewing angles. If you sit anywhere but directly in front of an LCD the picture won't look right.

Plasma: Best. You can sit almost 180 degrees to the side of a plasma and the picture quality is the same.

Buy a Panasonic 42" Plasma like mine.

It will cost you ALOT less than a 60" and is plenty big enough.

I found the Panasonics ran much cooler and had virtually no " Humming " like the Pioneer ones etc..

See. ( Also that spot on the TV is from the camera flash )
One correction to this information: Unless you live in a high elevation eg; Colorado, the Pioneers would not "hum" Additionally, this reaction to altitude is no longer a problem. The Pioneer is still the " gold standard."
Accept this from someone that has various brands of LCD and plasmas

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Another note. You can get the best TV in the world, but if you use a lowend DVD player connected with a svideo cable (or the same for the cable box) your gonna get a horrible picture compared to what you can get. Also remember that cable TV (not sure on satalite), your picture will most always come in compressed. I have Timewarner cable and even HD channels show artifacts in some conditions (like the really dark portions of the picture (athough the live shots like sports or nascar come in almost perfectly compared to movies on HD channels). The best picture I can get is from my DVD player using HDMI cables.

·
Registered
290 Posts
SteveO said:
I don't know the advantages and disadvantages of LCD vs Plasma and we're looking at a new TV. Some good sales on bigger (50") TV's after Christmas so I want to know what to look for. Any tips? LCD or Plasma? Brands to look for or avoid? Thanks. ....Steve
I know that on Lcd tellies there isnt a glare like there would be on a plasma.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
jkwhite said:
Your question was Plasma vs. LCD.
I own some of both and can objectively give you this information:
If you are interested in picture Quality, the plasma is the best. Better blacks, an authentic looking picture ( the LCD by contrast, looks "cartoonish), wide viewing angle. Downside is slight opportunity for "burnin" Have never experienced this.
LCD has the advantage in "brightness" if you must watch in blinding sunlight.
viewing angle is limited.
If you want to see what a current monitor can offer, look at the 50" Pioneer plasma 1080p.
This currently represents the pinnacle, and provides a benchmark when reviewing other monitors, both LCD and plasma.
Just my $.02...
Viewing angle on an LCD?, look at the difference from a projection. I agree that Plasma is pimp, except for the permanent red dot that happens to most people that I knows' plasma screen.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
21 Participants
scroder
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing