TTORA Forum banner

Scion XB Seat Swap

20K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  Funkensour 
#1 ·
Following Taco Dells write up

Here:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141220

Before I go Doing it and screwing things up I wanted to double Check. This is how I interpreted his write up.

First Grind off the "Bumps" on the tracks.

2 on the front of one track.

The other 2 on the front of the other track.

4 on the back of both tracks.

Grind off the Rivet head on the front of both tracks. Seen at the bottom of the picture. Black little nub.

This is the part I wanted to make sure about. The "bearing cage" Putting the screw driver into the [][][][] and pushing the "bearing cage" out towards the front of the rails.

In the pictures i think its the Little silver thing with 2 bearings (gold/bronze)

<<<--- You can see me moving it to the left

<<<----

I believe there are 2 bearing cages on each rail/track. Once they are out then you can remove the bottom rail and swap them with Tacoma ones.

Mind you this is not the official write up. I wanted to make sure everything is correct before taking the tracks apart. But Since TacoDell doesn't have pictures I feel I can contribute to his write up once everything is confirmed. My official write up will be done on Video if not Photos.

Does this look right TacoDell?

See less See more
#3 ·
Does this look right TacoDell?
looks good so far

go easy on those bearing cages... they bend outta shape easily

I had to roll the cage/bearing out in steps...
not in one single movement.
think I had to change holes with the screwdriver twice in order to push the assembly out the ends

and of course using the slide action of the lower mount was necessary to assist in pushing those clear.

sorry my instructions suck... LoL

#5 ·
yep... reweld the bumps
as well as the rivet head(s)...

Make sure you weld them as tall as the orignals
taller then the original's won't cause issue, so no worry there.
careful not to burn thru on the rail(s)...
easily done ;)

this process obviously occurs during swap and reassembly

#7 ·
oh and a lil' trick I used to get a good weld, in where the rivet lay...

using a die grinder and carbide bit...
I ground a circular opening at the topside of the rail(s), opening up the track directly above where the soon to be, welded, rivet head's lay.

this made it much easier to reweld the rivet heads well and solid
it won't affect the rails strength or their slide action...

*U can use a lil' mo heat fo 'da rivet... then was used fo 'da the bumps on the seat rail

**remember...
remove only enough material, so the mig nozzle will fit in 'dere :D

well, only helpful, if U might be using a mig...

#10 ·
Ehh, I didn't have too much of an issue with splatter on the seat cloth, and I used flux core. And I did my seat swap differently than Dell. I welded the scion upper tracks to the mounts I cut off of my taco buckets. There were plenty chances to torch the seat material and it didn't, for the most part. So, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Ps, driving cross country right now. I would be dying if I still had the taco seats. These scion seats are comfy!

#12 · (Edited)
Update!

Sorry no pictures and no video. I wanted to do that on the passenger side.

I did as TacoDell said and the tracks came apart easy. I was working alone and think that my have cause some problems/delays. It would have been nice to have someone holding the lock mechanism. Right now I have the Driver side seat bolted up, but the track doesn't slide. I have to take it apart again and see what I did wrong with the "bearing cages". I'm hoping it just needs to be greased, but I'm worried they are to deformed.

Seats are tall! I am 5'8" and I am about 3-4 inches from hitting the roof. On a side note I am able to see the factory clock now. I love the seats, only down side was not being able to slide which is not because of the seats.

Also TacoDell how did you manage to use the Scion seat belt buckle? I had to put the stock Tacoma one in.

On the passenger side I may just do it Scuba's way so I do not have to deal with the "slide" mechanism.

#14 ·
Update!
Also TacoDell how did you manage to use the Scion seat belt buckle? I had to put the stock Tacoma one in.
I used my oem belts and latch(s) from my original seats...
but also used the scion latch lowers (metal) cut and lap welded to my oem latches,
to extend those so they would sit a tad taller.

On the passenger side I may just do it Scuba's way so I do not have to deal with the "slide" mechanism.
You did use the Scion roller bearings and cages right ?
have you lubed the rails/roller bearing(s) yet ?

mine were a little sticky... on initial install and before lubing the rails/rollers...
currently... after some use... things seem to be moving easier...
and either occupant can adjust their seat with little issue.

#15 ·
I'm interested in that video if you still going to do it for the passenger side. I hate my seats but going any higher is not an option. I'm 6'6" and 270lbs. I need all the room I can get in my little truck:rolleyes:

#17 ·
In yer case... You better be all legs and no neck... LoL

seriously tho', if yer long on the upper torso...
these seats will likely sit too high for you...

also... if you are long on leg...
you will likely want to relocate the center two stop bumps a little farther forward
because these, in their original location, limit rearward travel...
and I believe the seat(s) could be slid back about another 1 1/2"
if those bumps were relocated.

works fine for my body type/height 5' 10"... but I have found... these seats will roll too far forward then what is desirable.
Changing the location of the center stop bumps can effectively
limit forward travel a little more... and give a little more to the rearward slide.

FYI... because these seats sit a little taller...
the leg room distance required... is somewhat lesser then if the seats sat lower.

But the primary reason they can't go too much farther rearward...
is because... the lock mech would not be able to engage and lock the tracks
if they move to far to the rear.

These seats are great for large statured folk...
but they do sit somewhat on the tall side...
and it won't be an easy thing to get them to sit lower.
and so I wouldn't recommend them for the taller folk, long on torso.
and would instead... recommend looking for a lower fitting seat.

JMO n :2cents:

#27 ·
Dang good job !

Looks good IMO... but then... I'm kinda partial :p

sooo... wut do U think of them currently ?..
( ^ assuming U have had some seat time )

tracks still binding ?

#28 ·
Looks good IMO... but then... I'm kinda partial :p

sooo... wut do U think of them currently ?..
( ^ assuming U have had some seat time )

tracks still binding ?

Everything has been fixed and I fully understand how the tracks work. Had them for a few months now and I love them, but it is a bit harder to get into the truck with out sliders/steps. My gf told me to buy/make some sliders so she can get into the truck easier. Other then that they feel great!

#30 ·
kool... nice work on the revision changes
and thanks for the honorable mention, for the screw driver tip :p

I chose not to remove (cut off) the bolt eye mounting end(s) off the oem latches.
just lap and rosette welded that to the remainder of the Scion seat latch mount...
You didn't mention the length of that lap, for latch height setting ?
I probably didn't either... but it does need to be welded to an effective height

Oh... and one last thing...
think yer "how to do" video's are looking good...
and the only thing to think about, and that I might suggest...
is that you include a disclaimer at the beginning of your video's

stating that the user accepts responsibility for their own modifications...
and that you hold no responsibility or liable for anyone whom might wish to attempt what is demonstrated.

just sayin'

#32 ·
Disclaimer of Liability
SafetyDangTV, including all individual staff, assumes no responsibility for anyone's improper or incorrect use of information. In no event shall SafetyDangTV be held liable on any theory of liability for damages or injury of any type resulting from use information provided by SafetyDangTV, even if advised of the possibility of such damage or injury. This disclaimer of liability applies to all claims for damages or injury, including, but not limited to: burns, cuts, broken parts, shortages, negligence or under any other cause of action.

This is what i came up with.. Hope it protects me well enough

#33 ·
holy moly
did U hire a lawyer fo' dat chit ? LoL

btw... that lawyer is terrible and I'd ask for a refund :neener: :D

IMO... it's not really about their personal irritations...
(cut, scrapes, burns or bonehead mistakes) <-- LoL

but more about the liability issue of modifying the OEM seat mounts

the potential home builder attempting this modification
must know/accept, that...
they alone hold all responsibility for any modification
they might attempt... if altering their seat(s) OEM design.

it's prolly good to have a primary viewer disclaimer
covering your overall liability

tho' I'd think it smart to add an individualized (*) disclaimer at the beginning of each demonstration video.
(*) Specifically named

#34 ·
I just copied one from online and changed some words AAHAHAH

How about something like Only attempt anything in said video at your own risk. Individual accepts all responsibility for actions related to video? SDTV shall not be held liable for any damages or injury due to replication of anything related to the video?

Did you swap your seats back to stock?

#38 ·
Dude, I am with you. Going from my old 4R to the Tacoma was a bitch. So comfortable, just no power and always questionable if the rig would get there and back.

But doing Bar Harbor, Maine to Ocean City, MD in one run (700+ miles, and around 14 hours in the saddle) was the worst. I slept on the floor the next two nights. Seriously, could Toyota have put worse seats in these trucks? My 1990 4R had better seats!

#41 ·
At the risk of bumping an old thread, I wanted to give my experience.
Just did this the other day, Scion XB seats into an 01 Taco. The difference I found in the procedure was that grinding the rivets (which hold the seat mounting pins) was unnecessary. The Tacoma roller bearing cages do NOT come out undamaged without grinding these rivets, but the stock roller bearing cages didn't fit the new upper track/lower Tacoma track interface.
I just ripped out the old cages (destroying them) and the Scion roller bearing cages slid in over the stock rivet heads (the Scion roller cages are shorter than the Taco roller cages). It fits and slides perfectly.

So the only grinding/welding was to the bump-stop nipples. Very easy, took an hour per seat. End result? You sit about 3 inches higher. I'm 5'10" and it feels great, much better view, no issues with the steering wheel or reaching the shifter, and of course very comfy.

If you're taller than me though, I'd recommend doing the Celica seat swap.

Edit: New Scion XB seats for $50 on Craigslist...new record?

#42 ·
At the risk of bumping an old thread, I wanted to give my experience.

Edit: New Scion XB seats for $50 on Craigslist...new record?
We appreciate the extra info.

I'd definitely say that's a new record.
I got my TC seats for $60. However, that included a set of rear seats for the same TC.
I bet I could sell those on Ebay and break even. I'm just lazy. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.