TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my passenger side coilovers been getting noisy (creaking,poping,rattling) thought it was normal since i've got the dual rate spring stop on the shock body and maybe it was just rubbing the coil, or the coils just slightly moving on lower spring seat, tucked the spring stops up against upper coilseat to get em out of the way, doesn't appear to be rubbing and driver side makes no noise at all?
anyway then I noticed scratches on the noisy coilovers shaft. Can't remember if they were like this when I got them. Bought these private party in unused condition so no receipt of vendor to take them to. any help much appreciated:)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Kinda rare but could be pieces of broken shim(s) that got inside the rod guide....

...or whoever rebuilt them last forgot the main seal....

I think the only thing to do is take them apart and see what's going on. Take pics, I'm curious. That's strange that the scratches are perfectly straight like that...

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is a "copper looking" bushing on your seal head (behind your main shaft seal) that is most likely worn out and causing those scratches. I looked for a picture but cannot find one. The creaking and poping wouldn't be caused by this, more likely it is your dual rate slider as you described. I would dissasemble and inspect before you contine you to damage the shaft. It may be possible to buff and polish those scratches out since your shock is not currently leaking.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
There is a "copper looking" bushing on your seal head (behind your main shaft seal) that is most likely worn out and causing those scratches. I looked for a picture but cannot find one. The creaking and poping wouldn't be caused by this, more likely it is your dual rate slider as you described. I would dissasemble and inspect before you contine you to damage the shaft. It may be possible to buff and polish those scratches out since your shock is not currently leaking.
Good call, although there's no way that could have worn out if the shocks were "unused" as advertised. Either someone's lying and used an old rod guide in a rebuild or possibly a pre-existing pit or burr on the shaft scored the "copper" sleeve.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These looked absolutley brand new when I bought them, not the faintest scratch on any anodized parts, shock bodies completely bright and shiny, maybe its possible to really clean up a pair to look new? Maybe I didn't notice the scratches before and that's why they were for sale but I really looked over them closely, oh well, no receipt to try for factory build defect. Thanks for help guys, looks like I better get some rebuild tools and learn how to do this.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I dont know what suspension setup you have but if its custom, it may be that on compression your shaft is going into your shock body at a slight angle thus scratching it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts