TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have lifted the rear of my truck and currently shimmed the brake line unitl the new stainless line arrived in the mail.

New line is here BUT now I can't disconnect the metal line from the BPV to the Rubber line. It is rusted and stuck beyond safely getting if off to reuse by the time I get this appart it will be well mangled. I can disconnect the BPV Side of this metal line but I can't get it out because it goes up then has a huge loop in it then goes to the back down and out to meet up with the rubber line and no way to, again safely, snake it out of the rubber line mount.

My question for the tech guys here is this.....Can I just buy a short 1 or 2 foot metal line and bend it to mate up with the new brake line or is that LOOP and actual shape of the Metal Line important:confused: My local Toyota, of course, doesn't have the line in stock and I'm stuck unless it is OK to bend my own line?

I was able to bleed the system and it seems OK to drive BUT now I'm nervous because I bashed and mutilated some parts trying to get it apart. I would like to try and fix ASAP but ordering a line via toyota where I live isn't fast or at last wouldn't be here for this weekend.

Your assistance is MUCH appreciated

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Are you using a line wrench? Those will most of the time prevent rounding off brake line connectors. But, with as rusty as your stuff is, it might not help at all.
Good luck!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I believe that is to prevent any air getting trapped in the lines. Someone correct me if I'm providing wrong information.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, the wrench that looks like a claw you slip it over the pipe and down on the nut....
Didn't help....sigh....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that is to prevent any air getting trapped in the lines. Someone correct me if I'm providing wrong information.
SO, if I bend a "Similar" looking pipe I should be OK or is every bend and length of pipe important to prevent air?

As you can tell I'm a NOOB when it comes to how the brake line functions other than it gets the fluid to point a and b.:xcrazy:

I'm going to stop at Toyota on the way to work and see how much it is to order the pipe but again I have a pipe bender and I know the local store sells diffrent lenghts I just don't know if I can make it "Exactly" what I see, its kind of a funky setup and cause it's the brakes I'm kind of unsure what effects a "rigging" would do.
If I can just make something close it would save considerable $$$ I'm sure.:(

·
Registered
597 Posts
Breadbox,

Actually the purpose of the coils in the brake lines is for flexibility, being that brake lines are metal rather than a soft material like rubber there needs to be allowable flex. I knew there was something else other than the air reasoning I gave you before. But the main reason is flexibility.

Eventually without any bends, the movement of your suspension and body will cause the metal to wear and crack or break. I would recommend you purchasing a new brake line.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I found this out from a guy at the part store he suggested getting the loops as close to what I see and all should be OK. So far 300 miles and all is working as it should. Toyota still has the pipe on back-order which I might just cancel now since my bending job seems to be working correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts