TTORA Forum banner

201 - 220 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
I'm finally back from a weekend on the rocks out at Katemcy 2 Off-Road Park.

Initial impressions of the truck: Everything works great. I hardly lifted a tire and when I did it was the rear because the 10" bilsteins are too short and I need 12's.

I only had 2 small issues with the truck: A loose TRE on the pitman arm as well as possibly having the pitman arm skip a tooth on the gear box. I tightened the TRE and the pitman arm nut and went on my way making sure not to force the steering into a rock. Will have to look into that issue later.

It was VERY awesome not having to worry about breaking something constantly.
I'm really happy to finally have some beefy parts up front. Being able to spin the tires at 3K RPM in first gear low while attempting to make it up a huge ledge was.. fun. Before with IFS I would have thrown the clutch to the floor the second I had any wheel hop. Not anymore. :D

For this run being a "shakedown" run, I definitely pushed it. I tested the hell out of the new approach angle. LOVE IT!
The wheelbase is great, too. Pretty perfect in my opinion. Not too long, not too short.
The full width axles give me lots of extra stability.

I definitely need new tires ASAP. 2 of mine are pretty bald and that showed. Especially after the rain hit.
I'm looking into 37x12.5R17 MTR's within the next few months. I'd go 40's but I don't get an employee discount at work yet so I'm going with what I can afford more easily.
I'll most likely be sticking with the same AE alloy series 101's except I'll need new 17x9's. They'll end up silver like my current ones.

Anyway, enough talking, here are some more pics!

Side note: ever since I fist went to K2 back in February I was watching my friends on an obstacle called "smoking butt hole." I said to myself "once I get my truck done, I'm trying that!" I knew I couldn't make the full line after seeing Jason struggle (picture 1) (and his is more built than mine) so I figured I'd settle for the line on the right (picture 2)
Well, after we finally made it to that obstacle on Sunday, I really began having second thoughts. So, I nosed up to it and just sat there for a few minutes thinking about it (picture 3 and 4). I eventually said screw it, I'm here and I might as well go for it. I ended up making it ALMOST all the way up. I had to smoke the tires a little, then gave up. Before my recovery vehicle got there I tried again and came within inches of making it.. Had to take a winch to get all the way up. Oh well, that's life. I need new tires!

Waiting for a tow..

2nd try.. ALMOST!

That's about all the pics I've got from this past weekend. More should be surfacing soon after everyone gets all theirs uploaded.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Hey scube, do you want or need an ebrake cable for the tundra axle?
If you've got an extra one laying around I'll definitely take it. It'll save me the hassle of lengthening the Tacoma one for the Tundra axle.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
:woot: Awesome!!

So how did you like the steering box?
It worked great until it leaked enough that the reservoir got low. Not only that but I think the pump isn't putting out full volume due to worn vane blades. When I tear the steering box apart to replace the pitman arm shaft seal I'll tear open the pump and replace the vane blades.

Hey Scuba, that looks like a fun playground. How does the traction compare w/Cougar Buttes?
Pretty similar until it gets wet. The mud kills a lot of the traction.
The rocks seem like a mix of Cougar Buttes granite and Moab slick rock.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You can get rebuild kits that has the vane blades? I've always just seen them with new seals. You planning on hydro assist? Maybe a new higher output pump?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If you've got an extra one laying around I'll definitely take it. It'll save me the hassle of lengthening the Tacoma one for the Tundra axle.

I do have one... A brand new one. PM me if you really want it.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
You can get rebuild kits that has the vane blades? I've always just seen them with new seals. You planning on hydro assist? Maybe a new higher output pump?
You can buy the vane blades themselves or flip the ones in the pump. The blades in the pump round off on one edge. Flip them over and everything is good as new. I compared volume output of the pump vs. what the box runs at and they're very similar. Shouldn't need a new pump.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yeah I've always just flipped them around. Wasn't sure on the box your running being a American one, cause I know a lot of guys will set up gm pumps in there rock rigs up here and still run full hydro cause they have more psi and volume then what our stock pumps are. Forget the numbers, wasn't sure if that box was more demanding. Good to know for future reference.

Rig looks great btw, gonna be interested to see it with new treads.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
It works, plain and simple.
I wouldn't say it's so much better than before but I'm not worrying about the front end as much as before.
That's quite a statement. For a moment I thought you were regretting going SAS:D

But considering how far you pushed your truck with IFS over the years, your statement makes sense.

Great build...and the wheeling pics are awesome too. That obstacle was something:eek: !!!

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
That's quite a statement. For a moment I thought you were regretting going SAS:D

But considering how far you pushed your truck with IFS over the years, your statement makes sense.

Great build...and the wheeling pics are awesome too. That obstacle was something:eek: !!!
No regrets at all. As I've said on another forum, the truck isn't 100x more capable just because I have the axle under there. I'm still on bald 35's, I don't yet have a crawl box, etc...

Anyway, I'm torn between 37's and 40's in the GY MTR flavor. Thoughts, opinions, everyone?

·
Registered
650 Posts
You will regret 37s..... Trust me! You're single cab light and 4cyl power. 40s will make the crawl box happen sooner then later as well.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
When I went 35s at first I thought they were huge...then a month later they were tiny and I wanted something bigger. So if you go 37s youll probably want 40s after a few weeks lol. That being said, I already have a set of 37s in the garage to put on mine in a few weeks...

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,209 Posts
Fwiw, matt (brocoma) is on the 40" gy and he has had terrible luck with his sidewalls

·
Registered
650 Posts
I saw that. But I have two friends on MTR 42s with no issues. Seems he's had some bad luck. Out here they have the most traction in the non sticky variety IMHO.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Scuba, if I had a chunk of cash, I'd be looking at MTR's or Pitbulls, but if you want 40"-ish tires on the cheap, go on race dezert & find some 39" BFG Projects. Maybe not the greatest 'crawling tire, but they have good road manners & super burly sidewalls. They can be had for super cheap as well. I did a straight trade of my 37's for a set, & I can't wait to get in the dirt!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Scuba, I think he has a great suggestion here! I have seen a few people run these at k2 and do well. Can't comment on hidden falls though.

201 - 220 of 303 Posts