TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to give Seafoam a try, but I'm not an expert on engine anatomy...where exactly is the the brake booster line?

Can some one describe what it looks like and where I can locate it, or post a pic of it?

Thanks,
'Dave

·
Registered
175 Posts
the brake booster is the round (black) 12"diam thing attached to the firewall directly in front of the steering wheel inside the engine compartment. THere is a line coming out of it on the left side as you look from the front of the vehicle on the that runs to the throttle body(follow the intake tube to where it meets the engine , it is aluminum) you'll see a bunch of hoses attached there.

I can't get more detailed than that cause I have a 4cyl but the location should be similar

Here is general picture (scroll down in the thread) look at the top right of picture the black thing is brake booster ( kind of hard to see)http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=469389&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=1

·
Registered
175 Posts
try this
here

top right brake booster. the gold thing is where the hose gets disconnected...the other end ends up somewhere on intake manifold

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I actually just did the seafoam thing today. GOt a can. Wish I got 2, one for the gas tank, but yeah.

On the can it says 1/3 pink for the vacuum system (2/3 cup...duh) mixed 50/50 with gas for efi. So I mixed it and popped the PCV valve. Put some vise-grips on the hose and it was just cracked enough to suck in some of the mix. But be VERY careful not to add too much, it'll kill it then you have to get it started back up again which can be a hassle. I mean, add like at most of 1tbsp at a time every several seconds. My right arm was gettin pretty damn tired. But I let it sit and started it. Smoked a little, then drove it for a min and it was smokin a lot! Smoke went down after about 10 min.

With 1 cup of the seafoam left I dumped it in the oil hole to clean out the crankcase/oil lines. Probably ran it for 20 min to 1/2 hour. While I did the vacuum seafoam thing before I changed the oil.

But if you dont know what the pcv valve is and you want to go that route, go to the link. Enlargen the page to 125% or more and the top image will have a -slighly- more darkened lines on the hose and the pcv valve, which just looks like a 'L' shaped tupe up side down. Made of plastic and will wobble a little if you wiggle it (on the front of the left valve cover toward the middle of the engine). But pull the hose off the pcv valve while the engine is running and it will sputter and maybe die. Put you finger over the hose hole in time and it will suck to your finger, but it'll run. I managed to have a funnel that barely fit that hole some. In combonation with the vise grips on the hose then only problem I had was dripping.

http://65.200.1.6/FSM/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/ec5vzfe/pcvsy/insp.pdf

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kyota said:
I actually just did the seafoam thing today. GOt a can. Wish I got 2, one for the gas tank, but yeah.

<snip/>
Thanks for the tips...I found the brake booster line, which is pretty close to the driver's side door... I'm thinking that if I get about 3 feet of hose and attach it where the brake booster line enters the engine, I can put the Seafoam into a spill proof container and sit in the drivers seat while it gets sucked into the engine. That way I can work the throttle enough to keep it from stalling.

Think that would be a good idea?

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
eskimo said:
Thanks for the tips...I found the brake booster line, which is pretty close to the driver's side door... I'm thinking that if I get about 3 feet of hose and attach it where the brake booster line enters the engine, I can put the Seafoam into a spill proof container and sit in the drivers seat while it gets sucked into the engine. That way I can work the throttle enough to keep it from stalling.

Think that would be a good idea?

You know, it's not a problem if the engine stalls.. The can I had actually said that it will stall, and to let it sit off for 5 minutes after it sucked up the seafoam. Then after 5 minutes to start the truck and let it sit while it exhausts all the carbon buildup.

As for putting it in the crankcase, that is supposed to be added to the crankcase 300 miles before an oil change. I doubt 20 to 30 minutes was enough for the seafoam to work it's magic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts