TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a BL and a manual trans you may notice that the factory seal around the shifters no longer exists. This makes for more road noise in the cab, Cold or hot air coming in from the boot, and if you like water you can imagine what would happen if you get deeper than the floorboard. What I did was get a piece of pond liner( the leftovers from making the new front engine splash guards) about a foot by 15". Remove the boot and then the rubber seal that used to work. Carefully figure out where you need to make the holes and punch a hole for each lever. Place the rubber over the levers and push it down far enough so it wont move too much when you shift. Fold the sides to make it match nicely with floorboard. Place the old frame and rubber over the pond liner, screw it down, check that the shifter isn't getting caught up, and trim the edges. Reinstall the shift boot. Take it for a drive and chech it out. It is by no means waterproof, but it will slow anything trying to enter the cab. You will also notice a quieter ride. Not bad for a bout an hours time and some left over rubber. Enjoy :D

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
When I had my body lift I had no problem running the stock seal. You just have to make sure you extend the shifters correctly

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that the original seal is pretty good. However it actually seals around the two shifters before the BL. When it is raised it does leave the seal 2-3 inches above the original point. The hole is not large, but large enough to allow noise, dirt, and water to enter the cab. The holes are about 2" and the shifters are about 1/2". This may be overkill, but I did notice a difference after I performed the mod. I'm thinking of lining the floor and doors with the rubber to help reduce road noise some more.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Rubber is a good idea. Sound deadening is definitly worth it. I went for the cheap method and still got great results. I dismantled the whole interior and put up a layer of 7 lb density carpet padding. To include under the carpet. It really helped with the road noise and also heating and cooling the truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts