TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not to sure where to put this, Mods feel free to move it.

I have a Short box Doub. Cab with a cap that I use for everything.

I have had issues with dust and water getting in the bed even with the Cap on. I sometimes have to carry some sensitive stuff and dust is a real issue. Plus when I hunt/camp I sleep in the bed under the cap.

Here is my Write up so sit back and relax :xpopcorn2

I went to the local Auto mega warehouse and picked up some Truck door guards, weather striping and some Automotive trim.

I started with these small gaps between the bed floor and the side near the back. I placed a strip of the 1/2 " weather striping in here and forced it down with a screwdriver head.

I then took some plugs that are used to plug counter sunk holes in furniture

Then placed them in the 3 drain holes at the front of the box near the cab.

Next were the storage boxes that dont have the covers on them

I put strips of weather stiping on the four holes in each box to stop the crap from getting in. Since I dont use these cubby holes I thought that there is no way for them to come off.

Then the cubby boxes with the doors on them, I do keep tow straps and stuff in here, so I put weather striping around the holes where the pegs on the bottom of the door slide into. I put 2 peices on each hole so that the peg would slid in between them and make a seal.

Then I used the door guards to seal up around the bed.

Here you can see they have a slight lip on one side and a peel away 3M tape

You can see the gap inbetween the tailgate and the bed here

They have a slight lip on them, put the lip facing the outside of the bed and place them here, they fit snug around the contour of the metal. Press hard and they will stay, I bought 2 packs ( each pack contains 2 guards ) just in case I screwed up. Trying to get the one off that I screwed up on and trust me they stick good :D But you should only need one pack.

This is what it looks like when the tailgate is closed .
Note dont put the fat peice of the rubber guard the other way so that it gets pinched between the tailgate and the bed, I tried this first but its too thick and you cant close the tailgate.

Just to see if it helps I took some automotive edge trim

Placed it along the edge of the tailgate

It seems to help fill in the gap from the outside and looks pretty cool too.
With trim on

Without trim the gap is larger

That is it
I will be doing some back road work and see how it stands up to the dust and where it leaks. Hope this helps someone

Happy Easter :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im 6 feet tall and I just curl up sorta diagonally, just me and a shotgun:D

Its a Raider Vagabond http://www.raider.ca/products/features/?model_id=1
I paid about 1300.00 cdn for it. Its a great top but now im wishing I got the roof rack. It has great features and doesnt have that damp feeling in the morning.

Ps sorry the darn pics are so big

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Leer are nice... I cheaped out and got one that wasnt as nice as some of the Leers.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm in the same boat :)

I have the ARE, and while it seals pretty well, the tailgate is of course the major trouble area.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a Snugtop on order, will let you know how it works out for me. Thanks for the writeup, i am on a lot of dusty roads and will do everything you have to seal it up!!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Nice write up. I did the tailgate seal, works wonders. I took my Leer Cap up for a run last weekend. Gonna put it back on tomorrow, just hope I can get it to reseal up front. Seems to be a nice gap up there and appears the installers double stacked some weather striping. Too bad Toyota did not continue the bedrail protection around the front to make it nice and even all the way around :2cents:

·
Registered
186 Posts
The bed pockets above the wheel wells on my 06 pop out all the time. Am I the only one this happens to? I would say after every off roading trip I find one of them just lying in the bed. This could let a lot of dust/mud/water into an otherwise sealed bed, did you do anything about this?

·
Registered
419 Posts
The bed pockets above the wheel wells on my 06 pop out all the time. Am I the only one this happens to? I would say after every off roading trip I find one of them just lying in the bed. This could let a lot of dust/mud/water into an otherwise sealed bed, did you do anything about this?
x2! when the bed pockets come out and rattle around in the bed its annoying as crap. im planning to use waterproof adhesive to seal it tight.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ocdropzone, when you said you did the tailgate seal what did you mean. like mine or somthing else? :)

As far as the bed pockets go I have never had mine come loose.,.... infact tried to take them out to see if I should weather strip behind them and couldnt get em to budge....:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Its a great top but now im wishing I got the roof rack. It has great features and doesnt have that damp feeling in the morning.
Nice truck - I actually think I've seen you around town :)

If you decide you want to add a rack to it, go see the guys at Racks Unlimited south location. They do excellent work with installing Yakima/Thule on to canopies.

Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good post

Thanks for this. I have a tonneau cover and the dust out at Steens was merciless last year. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Excellent!

You did all the thinking for me.

I have grown ill of trying to keep all the dust out of my carpet kit.

If anyone is looking at the Snugtop campers, don't let them sell you the "slam latch" it is easy to inadvertently lock yourself out, and the mechanism failed within a year.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I had to take the truck out on a Range rd and It stayed clean. There was just a small amount of dust at the top of the tailgate. When I was driving back in the rain the only water that got in was from around the 2 bolts in the back of the bed with the D ring on them. I may unscrew them abit and add some 'goop' brand sealant.

Mountain pete thanks for the advice ill go see those guys .. next time ya see me dont forget to honk !!:D

Thanks for the comments guys:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice write up, I hate that huge gap I can see when looking in
the rear view mirror, camping when its pretty cold, you can feel the
air coming in. I forgot about the cubby holes , I bet that is where magority
of crap comes in from.

I have the snugtop super sport, works great no problems with water

-t

1 - 17 of 17 Posts