TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1986 Toyota 4runner from a guy this Spring for basically parts. It has had a SAS with high pinion ARB front and Detroit in the rear with 5.29s, marlin high steer... read here for what it is.http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110927.Basically taking the drive terrain from this 4runner to build what I want. If you're interested in a bobbed 4runner body and top, a 20/22 RE engine/wiring harness let me know.
Putting all of this together to make a 93 extra cab build. Just today I located a 93 extra cab for cheap, that hopefully works out.

The plan:
1. Use the gears and lockers from the 4Runner.
2. Dual case adapter has been purchased. About to buy the 4.7 gears this week.
3. I have a completely rebuilt 3RZ engine from a 1996 T-100. Balance shafts removed is about the only upgrade done for HP gains.
4. Put the 93 extra cab on a solid axle frame.
5. Slap it all together and have another trail rig...

Any questions or details you guys would like post up...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marlin Crawler competition 21 spline crawler gears ordered last night. Going Saturday to look at the extra cab.
Geuss I need to post some pics for yall's pleasure.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went and picked this up today. 1993 Extra cab 22re automatic 2wd. Putting this on solid axle frame.

This is the 1996 3RZ going into the truck.

Marlin's gears came in yesterday!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Need an opinion from you guys. Looking for a front spring hanger and was wondering if all are made about the same?

Also a while back I remember talking about a company that sales the spline section of driveshafts to make your own. Got a link?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Need an opinion from you guys. Looking for a front spring hanger and was wondering if all are made about the same?

Also a while back I remember talking about a company that sales the spline section of driveshafts to make your own. Got a link?
They are all the same for the most part. Stay away from the Sky Off Road one because it's open on the bottom and the fancy cutout letters actually weakens it some.

Davez Off Road was the place that sold 18" spline driveshaft kits. They are heavy as shit, especially if you use schedule 40 for your tube. I can't seem to find them on their site anymore. I believe they were getting their parts from Grob (http://www.grobinc.com/coldrolled/std_spline_shafts.htm)

·
Registered
4,022 Posts

You could buy the pockets and build your own. I believe Datin Fab sells what you need.

It would be super cool if you could cut out the front stock crossmember and graft in the spring hanger. But, body mounts may be tricky.

Maybe something similar to the front cross member that Hendrix motor sports offers - http://hendrixmotorsports.com/id7.html

I, also, would shy away from the SKY type crossmember. Dave Lay had it, and I really didn't like it. Open on the bottom and more crap that you pay for that doesn't add strength or really any use. Plus, then you're advertising for a company, and I'm not really about that unless the part was free. Looks tacky, in my opinion.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Going to try to get a hold of Grob after figuring out the driveshaft spline specs. Wonder if doing it this way will be cheaper than buying a kit?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Started on the bed bob last week, choped 10 1/2 inches out of the front.
The pic says 9 1/2 but had to cut some more.
Sorry for the bad cell phone pics. I'll post some pics of it done this week.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The plan with the bed bob is to remove as much up front to shorten the wheelbase. Stock wheelbase was at 122" and we were able to cut 10". Hope to have the wheelbase below 115" with the front axle pushed as far forward as we can.

Second plan of the bed bob was to shorten it down to the size of a double cab bed (to have a campershell) but that might go out the window because I only need to cut 3" out to make it that size (and it's a lot of work to only cut 3" out).

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Good call on the wheelbase! Ask me how I know :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bondo filler pretty much done. Gotta lil bit left to do. Gonna bob more out of the rear down the road. Pic for enjoyment (yes I've got body work to do, truck was 500.00 and the dents are only behind the doors and one on the roof).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts