TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to tighten the spring on my seat belt on the drivers side. It's really weak and a pain in the butt to get it to retract the seat belt. Yes, I did a search and came up with some great info but not what I need.
I even found the one that leads you to the site I like that shows you all kinds of good tricks with pictures for dummies like me.
The problem I'm having is that the info I found does not show you how to get to the retractor so you can work on it. I popped off the small plastic panel and I can see a 14mm bolt there. I removed that but it wont allow the retractor unit to come out so I can work on it like it shows in the pictures.
Do I have to remove that whole panel to tighten the seat belt retractor spring!!! I'm working on my 01 extended cab and that's one large panel. If I have to remove it I will but I was hoping for a better way. Any ideas??? Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any ideas???

·
Registered
135 Posts
I remember reading a thread about adding tension to the spring, it's probably been a few years though.

If you can't figure it out, I would suggest looking online for a belt out of a '04 in a junkyard or a 4runner. Once they get dirty and stiff I have no idea how to clean them. If you had a back up belt, you could try cleaning it.

Just a thought.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ByrdDog20 said:
I remember reading a thread about adding tension to the spring, it's probably been a few years though.

If you can't figure it out, I would suggest looking online for a belt out of a '04 in a junkyard or a 4runner. Once they get dirty and stiff I have no idea how to clean them. If you had a back up belt, you could try cleaning it.

Just a thought.

Merry Christmas
The cleaning and adjusting the spring is the easy part. I found all that info but I can't get to the adjuster to do it without pulling that big panel around the rear passengers side window on my extended cab. I was hoping someone had a better way to get to it. I'm not even sure how to remove it :confused: I can remove the small square panel where the belt goes in and out and the 14 MM bolt but it still wont come out of there so I can get to the adjuster.Thanks for your ideas and reply anyway amd Merry Christmas to you and your family too!, :) Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
Mike-in-WV
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing