TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seat Swap trouble

Im having a little trouble with my seat swap project. I am swapping out my 60/40 bench w/o power for a pair of Power Leather Seats from a 99 4runner.

Because when I got the seats I didnt know whether the motors worked or not, I wanted to make sure I got them powered up before proceeding with the modifications of the seat rails.

So far, I've found that my tacoma has two wires on the drivers side for the seat belt indicator. There is one solid red wire, as well as a white wire w/ black stripe.

On the 99 4runner bucket, there are 3 stripes. One solid blue wire, one white wire w/ red strip, and one white wire w/ black stripe.

Since I figured it would be too difficult to find a 3 prong connector to go straight into the seat, I've opted to strip all wires and make straight connections using buttend splicers.

I started by connecting both the white wires w/ black stripes together. Then I connected the red wire on the floor to the white wire w/ red stripe on the seat. Finally, I spliced a primary wire from the 30A fuse in the passenger compartment fuse panel down along the side of the cab down to the original seat belt wires. I then connected it to the solid blue wire from the bucket seat. This is where I ran into trouble...

The seat belt functions work fine. The tilt function of the seat to lean it front and back is working fine. But when I try to use the lumbar adjustment or the forward/backward power slider, nothing! Im not sure if I made in appropriate connections, or maybe theres something actually wrong with the seat motors.

I need help please!

·
Banned
722 Posts
Um I have no idea who electric seats work but make sure the parts that need to be grounded are grounded. It kind of sounds like part of the seat functions have a good ground and others do not. I'm just guessing but I'd think if the seat were bolted to the floor it would be grounded through the body and if you've just got it sitting somewhere it may not be grounded. Totally a guess though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try grounding out the seat by bolting the seat in. Id still appreciate it if anyone can keep throwing out ideas, as I have a feeling that bolting the seat in isnt really going to solve the problem.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bolted in the seat, hooked up all the wires, and still no solution. I did however notice while sitting in the seat that when i hit the switch to move the seat forward/backward, it turns the seat belt warning light off. With that being said, either Im getting further from fixing my problems, or closer if someone knows what I've done wrong...
Still looking for help here...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this posting started in Early Tacoma 4x4 Tech, but it was suggested that I bring my problems here for better advice. So here it goes.

Im having a little trouble with my seat swap project. I am swapping out my 60/40 bench w/o power for a pair of Power Leather Seats from a 99 4runner.

Because when I got the seats I didnt know whether the motors worked or not, I wanted to make sure I got them powered up before proceeding with the modifications of the seat rails.

So far, I've found that my tacoma has two wires on the drivers side for the seat belt indicator. There is one solid red wire, as well as a white wire w/ black stripe.

On the 99 4runner bucket, there are 3 stripes. One solid blue wire, one white wire w/ red strip, and one white wire w/ black stripe.

Since I figured it would be too difficult to find a 3 prong connector to go straight into the seat, I've opted to strip all wires and make straight connections using buttend splicers.

I started by connecting both the white wires w/ black stripes together. Then I connected the red wire on the floor to the white wire w/ red stripe on the seat. Finally, I spliced a primary wire from the 30A fuse in the passenger compartment fuse panel down along the side of the cab down to the original seat belt wires. I then connected it to the solid blue wire from the bucket seat. This is where I ran into trouble...

The seat belt functions work fine. The tilt function of the seat to lean it front and back is working fine. But when I try to use the lumbar adjustment or the forward/backward power slider, no movement. In addition, hitting the forward/backward button turns OFF the seatbelt warning signal on the instrument cluster. Wierd, huh? Im not sure if I made in appropriate connections, or maybe theres something actually wrong with the seat motors.

I have also bolted in the seat to see if this was a grounding problem, but still no luck

Here is the link incase you want to see what has been said already.
Thanks for looking... and all advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Seat swap

I'm also in the middle of a seat swap. GS 300 Lexus in my 97. I would leave the seat belt wires alone for now. The white w/blk stripe wires are the ground wires. Look at the wire leaving the lumbar switch and it should go to the back of the seat you know where the lumbar is. I havn't seen a schematic for the 4runner but you should have two wires going to the lumbar motor in the seat back. mine are blue and the other is like a solid bluegreen. So the lumbar switch has a hot going in the switch and then goes to the lumbar motor and a ground from the motor back to the switch and then on to chassis.
So all you should need is a hot and ground to the main harness or switch.

I know that probably dosen't make a damn bit of sense, but leave the seat belt plug out untill you work out the main functions. Then you can always wire it to the seat belt switch later on. I havn't had mine hooked up in years.

Sorry not to much help

·
Registered
984 Posts
The seat belt indicator circuit is on a relay that switches the circuit 'off' when the seat belts are engaged. It's a signal circuit, not an accessory power circuit, and probably inappropriate to be using for seat power.

If you've got a 2001 - 2004 Taco, there should be an unused accessory power line runnning beneath the front edge of the driver's seat. This was for the optional power seat (power lumbar support motor). This circuit is constant-on (not switched via the ignition key). I don't think this line exists in older Tacomas.

·
Administrator
18,301 Posts
jrwing98 said:
Well, this posting started in Early Tacoma 4x4 Tech, but it was suggested that I bring my problems here for better advice. So here it goes.
Please don't cross post your thread into multiple folders. It just clutters the board and makes it harder to follow posts on the threads. I've merged both threads together.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EnolaGaia said:
The seat belt indicator circuit is on a relay that switches the circuit 'off' when the seat belts are engaged. It's a signal circuit, not an accessory power circuit, and probably inappropriate to be using for seat power.
Thanks for the info. Thats why I ran a power wire off of a 30A fuse under the dash. I chopped the primary hire harness connector off the seat and have directly wired power to the seat. Im just lost as to why two parts of the seat are receiving power and the other two arent. I guess Im gonna go back to the drawing board and start pulling all the coverings off the wires on that seat so that I can see what is going on with all these wires.

And NO, my truck isnt a 01-04. Thats why I have to figure out the wiring for myself.

Anybody in the CHICO, CA area and wanna come shed some light on my issue?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EnolaGaia said:
Factory wiring diagram for 1999 4Runner power seats sent to your registered email address ... May it serve you well ...
I really appreciate you sending that to me and trying to help, but I guess Im too much of an electrical idiot, cause most of it doesnt make much sense to me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
jrwing98 said:
I really appreciate you sending that to me and trying to help, but I guess Im too much of an electrical idiot, cause most of it doesnt make much sense to me.
when I swapped in my Acura seats the seatbelt wires were no use to me. So I just ran a hot wire from a fuse block under the hood and grounded the whole thing and done:)

·
Registered
984 Posts
OK ... Let me see if I can get the driver's side seat diagram crammed into an attachment ... At least that way maybe someone more familiar with the 4Runner seats can use it to help.

A couple of notes ... According to the full diagram, there are 4 motors in the driver seat and only 2 in the passenger seat. The only interconnections between the two seats are power (upstream) and ground (downstream), so as near as I can tell you should be able to test / troubleshoot each independently with just a hot lead and a ground.

There's a motor for 'vertical' (height?) and one for 'recline'. Both are among the 3 motors within the wiring 'zone' on the left in the diagram. The 3rd one in this 'zone' is for the slider function (forward / back), and the lumbar function is outboard to this trio.

I can't figure out from your description what is and is not working (with respect to the 4 functions specified on the diagram).

There's another explanation, but I'm hoping it's not true (for your sake) ... Are you playing with the passenger seat (only 2 motors) rather than the driver's seat (4 motors)? If so - you're looking for two additional functions that don't exist according to the factory diagram ... ;)

Edit: OK - the attachment worked. It represents an excerpt of the driver's seat portion from the overall diagram

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
EnolaGaia said:
I can't figure out from your description what is and is not working (with respect to the 4 functions specified on the diagram).[/i]
I've tried installing both seats into the truck, just to make sure it wasnt an individual seat problem.
However, while both seats were installed, the same functions/problems arose. So since realizing that my problems are consistent with BOTH seats, I removed the passenger seat and left the drivers in until I can figure out all this electrical stuff.
So, to clarify what is working, and what is not working... ONLY the recline motor is functioning. From the looks of it, there are 2 motors that operate the sliding mechanism of the seat, and NEITHER of them seem to work. Or atleast it appears they arent getting any electrical power. I tried disconnecting the plugs to one of the motors and wiring in the seperate Power and Ground wires to test for ANY function. The motor made a single 'click' when I attached the wires, but the adjustment button on the seat did not engage the motor. So that was the last thing I've done.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'll have to admit defeat at this point - sorry ... If you're sure there are 2 motors operating the slider, I'm starting to think those aren't OEM 1999 4Runner power seats.

It's baffling that you're getting similar non-function issues with both seats. That completely confuses me, because there are no common circuits between them. With adequate juice (OEM circuit drawn off 30A fuse) and ground, both should work.

I'm hoping (for your sake) this doesn't mean some of the electricals (e.g., the switch controls / motors) are shot.

My best suggestion is to post over at YotaTech or maybe 4Runners.org. Maybe the 4Runner gurus there have some insights ...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NEVER! I wont admit defeat. As for the seats, they are for sure OEM 4runner seats. My parents have a Limited 4Runner with the exact same seats, so I know that much. With the diagram you attached, I might be able to make a little headway. We'll see... But yeah, I think I'll bring my issues up with those guys at Yotatech as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
EnolaGaia said:
I'm hoping (for your sake) this doesn't mean some of the electricals (e.g., the switch controls / motors) are shot.
Well, I unbolted the seats again and decided to start at the beginning of the power and ground wires... and see if I could find out where the wiring goes wrong. Unfortunately, I made it all the way to the recline motor without finding any troubles. I did however find that it appears that the motor which raises & lowers the seat seems to be receiving power. When I engage the switch for that motor, I can hear the motor, but its not turning or doing anything. So given that, do you think it sounds like the motor is burned out?

Im still not sure though, as it seems that both the slider motor and the lumbar motor arent receiving power.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts