TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Taco is a 2003 model and only has 37,000 on it and the damn seatbelts will hardly retract themselves. I once read how to "rewind" them a little more than normal to solves this problem but i cant find it .Do you guys know how to solve it ? I get this problem quite a bit on all my vehicles. I would just open up the seatbelt unit and hunt around in there but i am afraid of springs flying all over the place.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
The dealerships have tape kits that go on the upper loop of the seatbelt, on the pillar, where the seatbelt gets directed down to the retracting unit. The tape loses its gliding properties after a while and will keep the belt from retracting properly. I've done a ton of them on Lexus RX300s.

Go to a dealership and ask for a seatbelt tape kit. They come with instructions for installation.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealerships have tape kits that go on the upper loop of the seatbelt, on the pillar, where the seatbelt gets directed down to the retracting unit. The tape loses its gliding properties after a while and will keep the belt from retracting properly. I've done a ton of them on Lexus RX300s.

Go to a dealership and ask for a seatbelt tape kit. They come with instructions for installation.
I went today at Joe Heitz Toyota in Tn and they had no idea what i was talking about. I told them exactly what you said and my problem and they said " The only way to get it to retract properly is to replace my belt tensioner assembly" .I was like hell no! There no telling how much that would be ! Let me ask you this.....On the upper loop i see 2 holes there on the loop .What are they for? Could it be that their used to be a peice there to help the belt slide better?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
I went today at Joe Heitz Toyota in Tn and they had no idea what i was talking about. I told them exactly what you said and my problem and they said " The only way to get it to retract properly is to replace my belt tensioner assembly" .I was like hell no! There no telling how much that would be ! Let me ask you this.....On the upper loop i see 2 holes there on the loop .What are they for? Could it be that their used to be a peice there to help the belt slide better?
Unreal. They are a very common fix at my home dealership. Perhaps you can show them where it goes and that will help them get a clue?

I just looked at my seat belt and on that upper piece I don't see any holes. If there are any in yours I can only assume it's from the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unreal. They are a very common fix at my home dealership. Perhaps you can show them where it goes and that will help them get a clue?

I just looked at my seat belt and on that upper piece I don't see any holes. If there are any in yours I can only assume it's from the manufacturing process.
Hey , i hate to bother you with it , but can you give me a brief description on how the tape kit works and how it goes on so i can tell these MORONS down here at my dealership. I know you said it helps the belt glide better but how does it go on the loop and is it an actual piece of tape?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Hey , i hate to bother you with it , but can you give me a brief description on how the tape kit works and how it goes on so i can tell these MORONS down here at my dealership. I know you said it helps the belt glide better but how does it go on the loop and is it an actual piece of tape?
No bother at all, I've seen this exact problem before and know what normally fixes it. Maybe Tacos are different, though? :confused:

Anyway, the tape kits are a clear film with adhesive on one side. They also include a strip of Velcro for removing old adhesive. To install you peel open the film on each side of the tape (like peeling open a Band-Aid) and then center it over the loop, adhesive side down. Once you have positioned the tape, remove the film strips and then run the seatbelt back and forth through the loop, putting pressure on the tape, to fully seat it. That should be all.

Maybe it's only available through Lexus? Even in that instance it will be something cheaper and easier than replacing the retracting device. :2cents:

·
Registered
796 Posts
You can also use some rubbing alcohol and a cloth to clean where the belt rubs at the shoulder/B pillar loop. If you look where it rubs, it will be black with gunk. Believe it or not, remove that little bit of grime and your belt will retract fine.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No bother at all, I've seen this exact problem before and know what normally fixes it. Maybe Tacos are different, though? :confused:

Anyway, the tape kits are a clear film with adhesive on one side. They also include a strip of Velcro for removing old adhesive. To install you peel open the film on each side of the tape (like peeling open a Band-Aid) and then center it over the loop, adhesive side down. Once you have positioned the tape, remove the film strips and then run the seatbelt back and forth through the loop, putting pressure on the tape, to fully seat it. That should be all.

Maybe it's only available through Lexus? Even in that instance it will be something cheaper and easier than replacing the retracting device. :2cents:

I apppreciate it a bunch ! Thanks !

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can also use some rubbing alcohol and a cloth to clean where the belt rubs at the shoulder/B pillar loop. If you look where it rubs, it will be black with gunk. Believe it or not, remove that little bit of grime and your belt will retract fine.
Hey i did notice that black gunk on it ,I will use some alcohol tonite and try it ! Thanks to you also!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts